Instinct MI25, better than a Tesla M40 (for normal people anyway)

Time to turn on metered mode

1 Like

So between forgetting that windows will sometimes not even run a GPU if another is already installed, and maybe my other fucky motherboard. There’s no safe mode or lack of drivers issue. Just disabled boards integrated shit GPU and was able to boot into safe mode and run DDU, no problem. It’s all good. Now my only gripe is AMD’s shit fan control.
Time to take that disclaimer out of my video description.

Oh, and it worked with “use legacy video for EFI OS” enabled. So looks like it’s good to go in anything x86 with PCIe.

I used the dell optiplex 7010 sff blower fan on my m40, set it to like 35-40%duty and it’s actually pretty damn quiet so, large blowers might be a good solution

I personally find a static speed is much more tolerable than ramping up and down

Not like I need my 60mm 13K RPM fan at 100% to keep it respectable. But it can idle practically silent. I just want it to ramp up more aggressively. Prioritize cooling over noise. Should be simple for me to set a curve, it’s not; it’s asinine.
About to do a fresh install. Minimal gaming only setup. Get a capture card and KVM at some point.

I found some mi25s with 2x8pins and some with 1x8 and 1x6 pins, do you happen to know any differences

Never noticed that. Mine has 2x8s. WX9100 has an 8 and a 6 if I remember right.

Link? Picture?

They usually have this p/n

Huh, don’t think I ever noticed that. Willing to bet it’d work fine… not a lot, but…

There lol

So does this card work out of the box as a GPU in Linux with the AMD MI25 drives?

ROCm? I tried following their instructions, didn’t have any luck. Might need a specific version of Linux/Kernel. Oh, and no display without vBIOS change; as far as I can tell, you can’t work around that problem any other way.

1 Like

I’m also far from a Linux wizard.

1 Like

What about Windows, does it need flashing to WX9100 before it does anything meaningful?

Yes. There’s some VM specific Azure thing, but looks like that requires a specific Windows version (Windows VM AND Windows Host). Practically the card is end-of-life as far as I can tell. Made for data centers etc. and they’re dumping them now.

Well yes, if they were not end of life they’d be £2000 each. About the same power as a GTX 1080 which cost £250 so are actually good value and are powerful enough. However with no fan and only 1 output it needs another trick or two to be really attractive.

1 Like

Why I made offers of $80 instead of buying it at $100, especially when Vega 64s are going for $150 (maybe less, searching sold items doesn’t show my $80 MI25 purchase). It does have a fan HEADER that functions with speed control. RX580s are going for $80. Personally I also liked the idea of sorting it out and making videos.

1 Like

The RX 580 at $80 is about the right price but a VEGA is about twice the performance. So a ‘VEGA’ at $80 is very good but with a real one at $150 or £156 in the UK it’s hard for me to justify.

1 Like

This one also has twice the vram, artificial vram limits won’t hold this one back

2 Likes