I'm getting the Star Citizen itch again

Distinction: No one backed HL3. There is money on the table with SC. Makes the outcome completely different.

1 Like

Kidding around, breh. No distinction necessary though it's well taken.

meh. I don't recall how much the freelancer was but that's the only ship I bought. I have yet to see anything worrying about it's development despite what has been said in this thread and others. To this point it's the 2nd game I've blown money on before it's finished - the first being Tim Schafer's adventure game that sucked. The 2nd being SC because @Ace2020boyd wore me down.

100% no argument there!

Honestly, I never really knew the true 'form' of the game other than it was supposed to be a space sim on a massive scale. So far it seems they are accomplishing that.

1 Like

correct

SC its currently unfinished state is a 30GB patch and 51GB total on my SSD

Finished game would be better being shipped on a decent flash drive

OP, does your physical media have to be a disc? flash is infinitely better

2 Likes

Honestly, I dont think even CIG knows the "true form" of what the finished product will be. They're constantly finding ways to expand on what they're doing but also always running into limitations (i.e. your typical game development process, go figure....)

1 Like

I really to feel that the true form of the game was to be a space sim. Clear and simple. Everything else is icing on the cake.

If a single player campaign were to be cut (I'm read somewhere that SQ42 is not delayed indefinitely but on the back burner as they fight for 3.0 and getting into beta) I wouldn't care. Same goes with exploring planets. Hopefully each planet will have some kind of space port for players to walk around in one form or another. I understand that's not a popular perspective but I've always just seen the game as a MMO space sim.

@HarbingerOne What did you perceive the 'true form' to be?

1 Like

It sounds to me like you tried it briefly and failed to get into a good corp... and let me guess... you did PVE the whole time? Did you ever get out of high-sec?

Trust me, the social aspects of the game are expansive. However, it is what you make it. If you don't socially engage with other players then yea, it's gonna be boring af.

I never really had any ideas of what the true form should be, but what I wanted is basically along the lines of what seems to be happening. There actually are going to be space ports in orbit as well as planet-side installations (that are now going to be player/ORG owned, operated and configurable, HYPE!).

SQ42 has never been on the back burner, its just that right now they are focusing on 3.0 due to it having a massive amount of updates that they want tested by the community that are also necessary for SQ42 to be fully realized.

2 Likes

I strongly recommend waiting on Star Citizen for now. Although I haven't gotten the game myself, I've been keeping up with the development for a while, as well as participating in the free weekends. Honestly, there isn't much of a game right now. You can do dogfights, racing, explore a single system, and look at a lot of pretty ships. Although these activities are pretty fun, I believe that you can experience pretty much all the game currently has to offer during a free weekend; it's not worth paying the $40 entrance cost. If you truly believe in this game and want to support it though, please don't let me stop you - I think SC is probably one of the best projects to support because of their transparency and player communication.

Also, I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Elite: Dangerous yet. It's pretty different from SC, but it's an amazing space game in it's own right. It has been out for about three years with regular updates. It's got great space combat, exploration, etc. ED definitely isn't as ambitious as SC (no walking around, can only land on some planets), but I think it's a great game to play while waiting for SC if you really want to scratch that space sim itch. Take a look at some cinematic gameplay and a sick eurobeat fight.

1 Like

i'd seriously wait!!!

Here is over an hour of reading on some very serious organizational issues with robert's industries or who ever the dev is.

www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/09/23/inside-the-troubled-development-of-star-citizen+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Not sure where you got that idea from. It is separate from the main game in that it's a separate purchase.

The base package for getting the MMO Star Citizen is $45 IIRC. This does not give you Squadron 42. That's a separate $45 package.

I think their goal is to make it as big and good as they can. If you release your product, even if you update it later, that's it. It's released. The opposite side of this can be seen with Early Access and such. Developers release their games before they're done for that boost in player activity and money, but usually that leads to the games never being finished.

If you never release your game, it can't ever be criticized for what it lacks.

What it has been billed as is a realistic space sim where you can do anything that relates to that concept. What I mean is, is that in the presentations where Chris Roberts has given examples of what player professions would entail, those examples included things like the following:

• Space Pirate (steal transport cargo and raid other ships)
  • Mercenary/Bounty Hunter
  • Slaver (slavery is going to be in the game apparently)
  • Mining Ore and such
  • Exploring to new planets and star charting things
  • Businessman (i.e. run businesses, manage logistics and such)
  • Soldier for the UEC military and such.

One very specific example he gave was of someone loading cargo onto ships. It'd be a game like Tetris in a way. A puzzle game to earn money for an MMO. That's how oddly specific your job can be. At least that's the example he gave.

The idea is to be realistic, but not so realistic that it's not fun. One area they've done this would be in space combat. The physics aren't correct to real life, but they are focused more on making dog fights fun for obvious reasons. Nobody wants to play a game that isn't fun.

This is exactly the idea. NPCs and faceless factions are replaced by players doing things. So it all feels a lot more organic than typical MMO shenanigans.

They've already gone so far in that direction, that I completely doubt they'll cut exploring planets as a primary focus you can have in the game.

Specifically, at CitizenCon 2016, Chris Roberts talked about the software they were producing to allow artists to quickly create planets and push them into the universe with relative ease. The example he gave was that a single talented artist could create 2-3 planets or 8-10 moon-size objects (space stations, large asteroids, actual moons, etc.) in a single day once they'd learned how to use the tools appropriately.

They even gave an example with someone working on a planet during the con. Imagine ModNation Racers or Planet Coaster-style terrain creation tools. But for undeveloped planets (so no cities I think, it's been a while).

This way, the MMO isn't limited to procedural generation, and players can lead development on planets.

The key to Star Citizen's success is its longevity and that is directly related to its uniqueness as an MMO where players will be basically doing everything. Similar to Star Wars Galaxies (except SC will hopefully not fuck it up).

Considering there are over 1.5 Million accounts for SC, it's probably going to last a long time on that kind of population. 500,000 (assuming dupe accounts and people who decide not to play it later) is a large starting population for an MMO and is probably integral to what will make SC unique (since it relies on players to do things for the organic feel).

NPCs will exist and can do stuff, but the point is to not have there be a clear cut "program" vs "person" difference in interactions.

3 Likes

IMHO, it's worth it if you have it b/c they won't release an update for another year or so, so you won't need to waste anymore space on updates. Starcitizen update memes ecks dee.

I played it for about a day.

I had some issues with my HOTAS throttle not wanting to work, and me being a terrible pilot. It ran fine on my 4690k and 970. Fine, for an alpha. (a bit stuttery here and there, but by no means unplayable).

I will be getting the full version, because I know there will be much, much more to do than just fly around, which I am terrible at.

I do not regret spending $75 dollars at all. If it ends up never coming out, I will be more than a little disappointed, but I would still be willing say that I have been more disappointed by other games that actually hit "full release". Namely Battlefield 3 and 4. Both of which made me so angry that I left console and went to PC and bought them again, and still made me angry.

I would rather see a company fail at trying to make a high quality game on a scale unprecedented in all of gaming history, than see no one ever try.

Of course, I expect them to succeed. They regularly work with the community, and have been rolling things out on a regular basis. This to me is a good sign.

1 Like

What? Just what?

He thought it was a separate game, you say no no no, then proceed to tell him it is completely separate game, you have to buy separately. WHAT!?!?

Or are you seriously telling me that there is no actual game called Star Citizen. Just the idea of Star Citizen and that idea is made up of lots of games you have to buy separately and then have the believe you are getting one game that you have paid for many times over through many games that are each and together not the game that was sold to people in the original kickstarter?

So the people who backed the game Start Citizen originally will never get a game called Star Citizen, but instead many games none of which are singularly Star Citizen at all?

The more people describe this game the more it seem like massive scam.

Sorry if it come across accusingly, not meant to, just every time this pops up it seems to be in a worse state than last time. And so far this is the worst I have seen described.

1 Like

When the game first purchasable untill about year and half ago they split the game package. It used to be a copy of Star Citizen + Squadron 42 with any ship.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15189-Package-Split-Information

1 Like

Wow. ... eh. Okay. So the advantage early adopters get is getting the game, where people who buy later do not get the entire game?

Nope fuck this shit, I do not get it at all and is now screaming cash grab at me. I quit.

Mean while in the boardroom:
We need more money but we cannot keep promising more or we will never finish it

how about we take our one game and split it into many games and charge them for all of them individually

I have no words. Enjoy.

1 Like

The MMO portion is $45 and if people want to get the single player is $15 don't think that bad let's people​ get what they want. Some people just want the MMO portion and vise versa. Any way the total is $60 game nothing wrong there. It like people who by and early access game on steam when it was 15 but when fully released price goes to $20-$30 don't see the big deal

Nope.

You read into that entirely more than you should've because you shouldn't have read into it at all.

I was saying I didn't get where he got "Wasn't it just a spin-off meant to satisfy people?" from.

The single player campaign is separate from the multiplayer MMO.

The MMO encompasses everything I listed as jobs you can do. The single player campaign could be thought of as a very long tutorial you pay for. Except it's a AAA game.

It sounds to me like you have preconceived notions about what SC is and are coloring your reactions with those notions.

The single player game will be about 20 hours long with 70 missions. There will be two sequels after which are separate games and would be purchased separately.

As stated in the CitizenCon 2016 presentation[6] by Chris Roberts, the ambition and scope grew since first pitched in 2012:

• 28 chapters equivalent to 60+ missions
  • A-list cast to match any event movie
  • 340 speaking roles with state of the art facial scanning and mocap
  • Over 20 hours of performance capture
  • Story arc with 1255 pages of dialogue
  • 40 distinct ships from fighters to dreadnoughts
  • Hand-crafted environments enhanced with procedural tech
  • Systemic space and FPS gameplay - from stealth to brute force
  • Dogfighting in both space and planetary atmosphere
  • Subsumption AI - fully systemic, 24-hr schedules, 1000+ subroutines, simultaneous secondary objectives
2 Likes

3.0 is imminent, its the one I've been waiting for

2 Likes

If thats your mentality, then what games do you play? I know you better not be buying any games from EA, Ubisoft, Square Enix, etc....

If any of you are backers wouldn't mind adding any of you. To explore the verse!

2 Likes