I'm getting the Star Citizen itch again

Same name, just a dash in-between. "Harbinger-One"

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizens/tremorpv

kewldude007 hmu

2 Likes

Well we can all say we have spent less then the amount of money people spend on CSGO crates and Keys lol

3 Likes

Not to mention other MMOs that have subscription fees PLUS expansions....

1 Like

Very true! I will say I have a LTI - RSI Constellation Aquila and sitting on a upgrade to Anvil Carrack but don't know yet may be too much ship lol

Added @HarbingerOne, @kewldude007, @Vitalius
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizens/ace2020boyd

1 Like

Hell no. I've played since 2009. The fact that you've mentioned PVE being a way of playing the game incorrectly shows just how horrible the game actually is... Funny how we're talking about SC here. The game should be as dynamic as possible. Wanna do PVE? Oh, but it's BAD! So... you shouldn't do it? lawl. You see what's wrong there?

I was in a nullsec corp for a year and went headfirst into the game's core "sandbox" (shitbox) experience of self-sufficiency. "The players create the content" - Many EVE Online dorks. Sure... i'll bite. But one statement i make is something to keep in mind before i continue; That idea means that a game STRAIGHT UP relies on a BYPRODUCT - A BYPRODUCT of online gamplay; player-to-player interaction. Which obviously means that there are so many variables that determine what you can experience. And so many variables that determine whether or not anything will happen period... Entosis ops... THEY'RE SO MUCH FUN! Warping around like a fucking RETARD for 2 hours and nothing happens. And going back to the "social" aspect of the game (a byproduct every online gamer experiences), i've gotten BILLIONS of ISK just by KNOWING the right people in Nullsec. So really... i've murdered the entire pretentious bullshit that many EVE players like to spew around. "Great risk, great reward." What a crock of fucking diarrhea. Don't make me laugh.

My Nullsec CEO was the NICEST PERSON you could probably ever meet in an online video game. Nicest guy ever. And when he's not playing EVE Online, he's "roleplaying" in real life. It really summarizes what kind of people take in the purist EVE experience. Quite sad. And the market is another thing that reflects the self-sufficient nature of the game also. It has to work because players create, players buy, players sell. It's very simple. That, together with the mechanics of the market = real life market equivalent. It's nothing complex, really. Is it fun? No... and really, there are no opinions. I'm sorry. Does it mean other people can't like it? Absolutely not. But at the end of the day it means fuck-all. I want to play a video game. Not pretend to have fun. I want the software to offer me something. Not go around "looking for fun". I start up a game and i play it. It's like going to a fucking mechanic and paying to install your own new transmission. What the fuck? Does this make any sense to you?

And going back to PVE. There's no reason PVE can't be good. Instead of shooting red squares, it could be a lot better if the game had an actual layer of immersion around it. EVE missioning is a gaming time capsule. Open window with character portrait. Read (you're better off not reading) pile of text. Go to warp area. Shoot red squares. Salvage and loot (super fun, also). Go back to station and right click on the character portrait you opened dialogue with before. All while being inside a somewhat rendered interior with your controllable character model. WHY you can control your character in the first place speak VOLUMES about the company culture and what goes on at CCP. And if it isn't indicative to people, well, that's their own fault for being blind. Also, drifters? They have their own character model? Why? And so detailed, too. This game is so painfully blueprinted it hurts.

Finally, the game mechanics. WOW! Incredible complexity. Incredibly impressive levels of complexity. All for nothing. When the players aren't intelligent enough to use the game mechanics, they shouldn't be there to begin with. Fleet going through nullsec systems on our way to create new allies (the same ones we passed as neuts on our way there). And then we get fired on because "HURR, DURR... Neut." 1 hour later. "HURR, DURR... Blue". And we were fine. Not to mention baiting. How PVP works anyway. Said hardcore Nullsec CEO (and OTHERS) described PVP as Rock Paper Scissors. And really, it doesn't require any real skill... It's a joke. So much complexity... yet so little purpose. Players fitting for as much damage as possible? There's another thing that makes you discouraged from fitting for resist/tank. No on really plays the game smart. And on that note. Suicide gankers! YAY! A bunch of shameless morons who don't care for sacrificing their ship and blowing up one other ship in the most crude way possible because they aren't allowed to do so in High Security space.

And at the end of the day, man... what i said about content, and the self-sufficient nature of the game. If that doesn't mean anything, then fuck it. I'm tired of explaining logic to people. I may as well be explaining why people shouldn't go to their parent's house and murder them. I'm done. EVE Online has an incredibly unique aesthetic and game mechanics. And that may seem like something superficial and unimportant. But in the world of Sci-Fi? Yeah.. that's huge. Just like how the Alien universe is unlike anything else in Sci-Fi, thanks to H.R. Giger. I just don't think CCP even appreciate what their designers can do. They've been running a game stuck in 1996 since 2003. And ultimately, their greatest accomplishment will hands down be the fact that the game has been alive this long while being as simplistic and mediocre as it is. What a waste.

@cdoublejj

Yeah, idk. I take that stuff with a grain of salt. I mean... Derek Smart said the same shit. Then i saw a video from 2007 making fun of him and everything became clear to me. This was after i had already seen/heard things trying to expose him as a jackass today. I gave him a chance. But if his reputation goes that far back... i guess he's just a sore dipshit.

@Vitalius

You know what? That's actually what i was thinking. Kind of like how i started playing GTA Online when it came out on PS3. Then i got the Enhanced edition. And thought to myself "How would it be if you started playing the game with this much content from the outset?" It'd hit you like a ton of bricks. So yeah, it's admirable at the same time. But you also have to say to yourself: How much of it is actual polish, and making sure the game runs with mathematical perfection in mind? And that every mechanic works so well that there would be little to no room for tweaking?

@Ace2020boyd

RIGHT!? The little kids love gimmicks! Kid spent $2800 on CSGO crates. I bullshit you not.

1 Like

I really suggest you read up on the various articles on what has transpired, but the from the perspective of high-level Backers $5000+ who while in love with the pre-Beta spent $1000s more on additional Ships, etc., are now having serious doubts about the completion.
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/355007/we-didnt-fund-a-company-we-funded-a-game-remember-the-pledge/

More importantly in my view is how this company treats it's Patrons:
Backers have had to hire attorneys to get CIG to refund after defaulting on promises of certain dates for goals to be achieved. Now in California some had to contact the State Attorney General to assist in getting CIG to even acknowledge the patron's communications for a refund.
The biggest most telling thing is the team of public relations sock-puppet avatars who are employed to crush any valid criticisms, or dissent. I had a friend who very first post on the official forum was moderated because he asked that after spending money for a Starter Ship, he repeatedly clips out of the bulkhead because the model was incomplete after being one of the first ships released years ago. The PR sock-puppets attacked him, while the Mods deleted all of his replies which were respectful. What a way to treat a brand new customer!

Some more perspective:

2 Likes

that's lame, lets sue the company and make it take even longer for the game to complete cause now they have to deal with angry nerds

2 Likes

I have the same user name on SC. I haven't been on that often recently. However, I will probably put some more time in it again once 3.0 is released. Got to test out that redesigned Cutlass.

1 Like

I kinda feel that way about it. It seems like they ignored the nature of kickstarter and the projects that come from it.

All dates are tentative. And imo they should be. Having this culture of "either do exactly what you say or don't do anything at all" is bad in my opinion. On the other hand, I think it's perfectly reasonable to ask for your money back. CIG should definitely invest in better PR and customer service resources.

Doing shady shit is definitely bad, mkay.

What is at issue here is another broken promise.
CIG set a deadline for certain things to be ready by dates of their choosing, or a grounds for a refund of such goals were not met.
But see, CIG not living up it's promises are nothing new, take for example the statements made concerning Squadron 42:

This high-level Backer best expresses the sentiments of so many of us when this was announced at last year's tech convention:

HawkS | HkS73 said:

> I think it all falls back to CitizenCon and CIG not really grasping how much they hurt the Community that day. I can only take myself as how I experienced all of it. So here it goes:

> We were all on a high before CitizenCon weren’t we?

> GamesCom had just happened and the showing of the Delmar landing, Miles Eckhart as a glimpse on future quest givers, the way the mission evolved throughout the presentation was stunning and suggested the PU was much further along than we thought and CRs “if you thought that was good – wait for CitizenCon” pumped up the hype even more. I upgraded my Sen to a Terrapin because of it

> S42 was still a possibility and although most of us did not believe in a full release in 2016 as the Bishop Speech trailer wanted to make us believe, we expected something. Some thought we might get a demo – this was confirmed before CitizenCon to be the plan by CR at a Kotaku interview - others thought we would get a Prologue or maybe even the first few training missions as an appetizer. Some even believed in a surprise release of S42 at or shortly after CitizenCon!

> Also GrimHex had been added to the game, along with it more clothing options and the possible role-play of good guys vs evil guys as emergent gameplay. Also CIG was extremely open on showing off GrimHex long before it went live. AtV or CIG as a whole seemed to have gotten the message, that bakers wanted to know the ins of developing SC and not only fluff talk and BLING show off of ships all packed in politicians talk that uses lots of words without saying much about the state of the project.

> Looking at Reddit for posts and threads before CitizenCon reveals the state the community was in, it felt like Christmas Eve! Something really BIG was about to happen, something that marked a milestone for SCs development and the project as a whole. People where nervous and excited like little kids waiting for dad to unlock to door to the living room where all the presents where waiting.

> Then CitizenCon happened.

> Over an hour late with lots of forced talk to bridge the time because the start of the event kept being pushed back again and again. After the 10th baker yanked in front of the camera by Tyler and even more filler Talk by Lando ppl in the stream where yawning – for Europeans like myself it was long past midnight with a full workday Monday a head of us. Something was wrong here.
> Finally Sandi steps on to the stage and gives yet again an emotional speech – we are with you Sandi, never doubt that. Then CR steps on to the stage and starts in to what will turn into endless minutes of power point slides and sleep inducing talk about how CIG was formed, the kickstarter campaign, how many are working on the project, Starbook - erm I mean Spectrum and on and on. A trailer starts it seems to be S42 but turns out to be a commercial for the Polaris and CIG asking us to please throw more money at them.

> Finally – over an hour after the presentation started CR drops the bomb. Most of S42 is still in grey box (or better). No possible Prologue to play. No first few missions to play. No surprise release. CR goes on to talk and it is even worse than that. CIGs F42 UK studio – the largest CIG office of them all whose main focus is S42 – did not manage to finish ONE level of S42 in 12 month (Bishop Speech trailer in 2015 to CitizenCon 2016). Something caused a last minute drop of the demo they had planned to show off.

> The room, the stream chat, thousands in front of their PCs - went completely silent. You could hear a needle drop. All expectations shattered. All the perceived advances in S42 / SC production speed- largely build up due to the GamesCom presentation – shattered. S42 still in grey box (or better)??!! That made even a 2017 release look doubtful considering the level of detail and immersion CR wants to achieve. The Homestead demo flew by, it looked great, but it felt a bit like mocking us with stuff that suddenly seemed so far out of reach as we were still digesting the S42 blow.

> What the fuck just happened?

> The community broke – that is what happened as evidenced by this threads sample poll that shows a near perfect 50/50 spilt. CIG knew something really bad had happened and you could tell CR knew on the spot as he looked so uncomfortable. But CIG failed to act accordingly in the aftermath. Oh sure they did act with the “road to ..” video but nothing after that happened!

> What needed to happen was – 2.6! It was estimated for a “soon after CitizenCon” release. CIG even hinted it might go live right after or the day after CitizenCon. It would have dampened the blow. But it did not happen. It still has not happend!
> What followed after the “road to” video? CIG fell back in to its three monkey’s routine of “see nothing, don’t talk, don’t hear”. Weeks flew by and CIG did not give any real update on what is going on with 2.6, 3.0 and the “last minute” dropped S42 demo and started to use the old and tiered politician’s talk of “making progress on x,” or “work on x continues” and “x is looking good” in AtV and RtV again. Despite the “road to” video - CIG did not get it.

> In the midst of this broken community trying to pick itself up again, CIG steps in and sells the Super Hornet - a ship sold multiple times since its inception and always at full price – at a discount! This after CIG said numerous times in the past that ship prizes will only go up when they are sold again, concept sale being the cheapest opportunity to get hold of a new ship. Well that went out the park sooner than expected. Oh and btw, you can’t use store credits, fresh cash only! This happened the second time after Polaris sale. The issue is – the discount isn’t even that much of a problem for most bakers. It is the “cash only” and what is implied by this move - CIG seems to need money! And fast. And lots of it. After all this is a sale happening only weeks before the - wait for it – annual anniversary sale! Why not wait for that? And you can’t help but wonder - WTF is going on CIG?

> So there you have my view on things.

> TldR: The Community was hurt badly at CitizenCon and broke in half. Now there are the ones that still have faith and the ones that start to say “WTF is going on CIG?” when before CitizenCon we were all in the same boat - a group of kids waiting for Christmas presents. CIG tried to apply a band aid with the “road to” video but it did not hold because of them failing to follow up on it with e.g. a timely 2.6 release! Instead they fell completely silent on why 2.6 takes so long what the problems are, what this mean s for the previously stated “3.0 end of the year” release and failed to give an update on if they ever managed to fix the S42 demo and if we will indeed see it this year or not.

1 Like

Yes, CitizenCon 2016 was a letdown for sure and backers had valid cause for concern. Half a year later we're having what is probably the most publicly transparent development process of a game ever.

Personally I've never cared that much for the singleplayer game, but if they want to make it good they're right to wait for the engine tech to improve.

3 Likes

I agree the transparency after that got a whole lot better. As well them releasing schedule updates to see if anything was completed or pushed back. Entire 3.0 schedule to 2018 https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

1 Like

You see. This, too. How is the SP going to work? If it's in the actual MMO universe, and it's me talking to NPCs and whatnot, that'd be amazing. Because i'd like to actually get the rewards from S42 and use them online.

Speaking of which, i really hope there is that kind of fun factor in the game. Doing a mission for an NPC and getting a cool pirate ship of some kind to use, or other items. I hope they have some awesome, sinister looking ships in the game that look very alien.

Like the Phantasm from EVE.

1 Like

As someone who actively played EVE for 8 years(quit 1 year ago), I just don't see any comparisons with the tech demo except perhaps the Market.
The Single Player SQ42 by virtue of having scripted events and untrammeled by network code should be the easiest and fastest of the development, yet it is delayed after blowing 2 deadlines? Here we are walking around Grim Hex station and getting 8 FPS with 16 players in the server and this is to be an MMO with hundreds of players in the same area of the universe?
I originally decided to purchase the package when SQ42 was included free. It was the original deadline of Winter 2015 and I figured I'd at least have this for my money even if SC didn't come to fruition and not be a total loss.

1 Like

That's how it was originally billed as working IIRC. That S42 would matter more than just experience with the game mechanics. I haven't read anything regarding this since the early days though.

There are hundreds of videos of Roberts discussing various features of SQ42, including interesting things like AI interaction with the Crew and other Pilots being altered by the players choices in game.
However CIG has not produced anything since the 2015 deadline was blown.
While I'm not a supporter of Derek Smart who I think tried to scam with his own game concept, he is correct that all the features proposed can never be included in the release.

There has to be anticipated a curve in crowd funding where income reaches it's apogee then falls. I seriously doubt CIG breaks last year's income, while paying more employees at 30M annually.
The number of new backers drops over time making additional sales to existing customers the primary goal, and a major focus of resources that could be employed to complete the project.

1 Like

I heard somewhere that they have a publisher too so it's not 100% backer based. Correct me if I'm wrong. My "investment" in the game was a freelancer. That's it! I usually only play when @Ace2020boyd yells at me that a new patch came out.