If we got an old RV, would you watch us turn it into the Qain Train

Things will always differ from fantasy into reality.

When I can add the anti-gravity engine, we'll add the wings.

4 Likes

That's true.

At least it'll be better-looking than the hatchback you guys had at LAN Syndicate xD (I was assuming that was one of yours')

I'm totally on board.

Nope, that wasn't ours.

it was @imaximus' car.
He did all the vinyl work too.

4 Likes

ahhhhhhh k. That clears it up.

I'll shut up, kick back and wait for updates now :3 ( - -) Can't wait to see this project take off! as it were...

then we need to hunt down a winnebago and maybe add some wings for stability. :)

3 Likes

This excites me!!!

Can I be the voice of reason here?

You guys just moved, your trying to get your office remodeled and set up ( your not even 100% sure you are going to stay in Portland area), you guys surly have a back log of video shot and unedited, not to mention all the other things you folks are working on. A project like this will require some serious skills, tools, and a place to actually house and work on the vehicle, I'm not saying you guys don't have the skills or tools or time but it seems like a endeavor that would suck up a lot of time that is already allocated to other projects.

Would I watch....sure, would I contribute to the cause...naw, seems like a cool idea but I've seen projects like this before that literally take years to complete or never get completed because it is so time consuming and costly, and of course you didn't ask for my opinion but I don't think I'd be a good member of the forum by keeping my mouth shut.

This seems like a project that would be fun while your drunk but a few weeks of 10 hours days into it and the prospect of 1000's of more hours till completed some of you might loose your motivation.

But yeah I'd watch it like a train wreck! <3

10 Likes

Serious suggestion this time, I promise.

Monitors suspended from the roof, that can be raise up and secured there (obviously). One machine with A CPU with a high core count and multiple low power GPU's that still perform decently (Since the system will be running of a battery most likely). Run a couple virtual machines and pass through the GPU's.

Either that, or have a decently powerful system for rendering (turn it on only when you need it to save power) and use laptops or thin clients to do the video editing.

Noted, but this isn't happening tomorrow.

1 Like

I understand, and it really isn't any of my business, I only mention it because I've been a supplier for a couple people doing this type of thing, the first guy gave up after sinking thousands of dollars in the drive train transplanting a Cummins diesel into a chassis that couldn't handle the torque of the six cylinder diesel, the other guy did actually finish the project it cost him over $60k doing the work himself over a period of 7 years it was a older school bus conversion and used to basically be a on-sight camper/office/laboratory, the thing he said was he could have spend 30-40k and bought a nice used class A motor home and been at the same point with the added benefit of it having some sort of resale value, what he purpose built had no value to anyone but himself.

Again just my opinion based on observations of other people.....

4 Likes

I'm going to side with @Blanger in that this will probably end up being a bigger money pit than you think.

I don't disagree that it's a cool idea though, and if people are willing to crowd fund it then more power to you guys.

1 Like

@snowBlind623

I totally understand that, and respect your input.
I think a lot of issues that many people have with these, is a lack of planning and no clear road map for what they are trying to accomplish.
Which is why this is an idea, and is in an early planning and brainstorming stage.
This isn't a small endeavor, and I'm not unfamiliar with massive projects like this. Consider this post part of my research into what it would take to accomplish this feat.

2 Likes

I will assume you meant to tag @Blanger since he's the one who had any points to make. :D Just want to give credit where credit is due.

Also, increase your crowd funding goal - I'll contribute:

If you end up in in MN around the Twin Cities and need a place to park with WiFi you can use my drive way.

8 Likes

I responded to his post, and tagged you since you were echoing his sentiments.

But I'm glad you have come around. haha.

1 Like

Ah, yes. I see that now. Sometimes my forum skills are lacking (Source: I've necro'd a few threads). Thanks

2 Likes

well who hasnt by accident necro'd a few threads :P
also this would be a nice idea once you get setup in the offices for a while like a few months and so you know while your sinking money into this you can still pay rent and all that shit

Make it amphibious so you can visit me down under

1 Like

OK, so to answer the direct question first:

Fuck yes! Do this!

However, like a few people have mentioned, you guys have a serious backlog and a new office to worry about. Some serious business-changing things will have to happen to settle into the new office, and that will take time.

Don't just drop the idea because of that, just, like, manage it smartly I guess. I know you guys are quite capable of that. ;)

Still, I have rather a pertinent question: Do any of you have any of the skills required to retrofit a vehicle like this? It's not "pick up and go" kind of stuff.

1 Like

Yes. I am. I have a rather nifty background in a lot of different things.

Also, I'm not this guy. haha.

3 Likes

Still, outsourcing might be smart considering where you guys are. A thought to consider. I've done similar-ish things to much(!!) smaller vehicles, it's a big project.

1 Like