If linux is dead, if, what are you going to do?

Hardware isnt important? A change in hardware would make a fork obsolete.

1 Like

Honestly I like UNIX more than than the Linux part so a subset of UNIX is irrelevant to me.

You may be less free, but at least you’ll be employed

1 Like

I’m going to fix all the problems that shit coders add to the Linux Kernel, been doing that with my private patch set for 20 years.

Then i would probablly go with Mac OSX.

1 Like

lol - I work for no man

It’s not going to die but if it does I have enough knowledge about Unix flavors to get a competitive advantage in the market.

As someone who actually ran vista, i’d much prefer vista SP 2 to Windows 10.

By SP2, vista was on par with the initial release of Windows 7 IMHO.

That said with regards to the OP, i’d be more inclined to upgrade my Macbook and put the pennies away for a retina iMac with eGPU.

macOS is vastly superior to actually get shit done with IMHO vs. Windows 10. Windows 10 for me is a game loader, nothing more.

1 Like

the key word there is “Desktop Operating system”

if instead it was just “Operating system”

linux is by far #1

all “internet of things” devices, vast majority of servers and enterprise networking equipment is all linux.

This is the one for “All platforms”

Android and Windows are in the lead.

Yes android is built off of Linux but its not the same, lol.

Yeah, Android is Linux about as much as Windows 95 is DOS.

You could port “android” to BSD (or even Windows NT, likely) pretty frickin easily.

Oh yeah, SP2 was pretty solid. My only major complaint at that point became the ugly taskbar.

I’d give any FreeBSD-based distros a go.

2 Likes

Idk. Probably use windows

8 Likes

If linux died, Freebsd would get the support.

it’s already used internally by Netapp, Juniper and plenty of others.

the only thing really preventing one from using it as a desktop OS these days is driver support and official application support from third party vendors. Linux is just much easier to deal with in that respect.

2 Likes

Ok, let’s first look at IF x86 should die, what would happen?

Well Windows would die. As well as Apple OS X. And every other x86 OS. That kills that part of the argument. Period.

Then let’s look at what CPU hardware Linux actually currently runs on …

( Debian is a good example of a distro that runs on many architectures. )

… so Linuxs survival, as far as CPUs goes, is not in doubt. Just choose a different CPU type. Period.

So if Linux dies, I’ll just use …

Linux.

1 Like

You’re taking this much too seriously my guy.

Chill.

Nope.

Apple have done architecture changes before just fine (68k -> ppc, ppc -> intel, and you just know they have MacOS on ARM already running internally, just like they had OS X running on intel from inception).

If x86 died, Apple would be fine, they’d switch to ARM in a heartbeat and there would be very little impact to their ecosystem.

Difference between Linux and macOS, is that Apple would probably even seamlessly run x86 binaries on ARM hardware if it came to it via an updated version of Rosetta.

The transition for Apple from x86 to ARM would be far less difficult than the transition would be for linux, as whilst linux is open source, not all the applications are these days. Until Linux has some sort of concept of fat multi-architecture binaries (which as far as macOS goes, that goes all the way back to NEXT) and an emulator built into the OS, i’d be a little less boastful that Linux would be just fine and macOS would be hurt to any degree.

I dont think there is a worthy OS to fall back on. It will probably be the devil you know best scenario. On the other hand Linux is just a Unix like OS, there are others. FreeBSD is amazing for example.

Yeah FreeBSD is great. I prefer it to Linux even, the base OS seems to be more coherently designed, but unfortunately the bulk of the world got onboard with Linux for whatever reason.

Linus himself has said that if the legal issues surrounding BSD had been sorted out before he started Linux he probably would not have bothered (but, when he started Linux there was a legal cloud over the BSD source and it was not known for sure that any of the BSD derived free Unix variants would survive).

If FreeBSD wasn’t treated as a second class citizen by the desktop environment guys and the hardware vendors weren’t spending the resources on Linux drivers they’d be free to divert those resources to FreeBSD instead.

And i think the end result would be just as good if not better to be honest.

4 Likes