If linux is dead, if, what are you going to do?

I hope so.

Incting such dincussion is both healthy and entertaining. As well as having somethitg of a plan.

At this point in time, I think it is more likely to see windows die than Linux.

3 Likes

doubt that

2 Likes

Either get RISC-V or make own softcore on FPGA, than roll ur own OS, duh.

I am only half joking, I wanted to do that for a loooong time.

2 Likes

Hmm. Never thought of separating all my devices with VLANs but seems like a great idea.

No, that sounds like an awful idea.

Completely unmanageable and entirely pointless.

1 Like

BuT THeN iTS GeNIuS

At this kind of questions it is always important how it happened.
So how did it happened?
First destroy all existing Linux in the world, maybe to a kernel update, because it is in all Distros.
Secondly destroy all copies stored on the internet.
Thirdly there are the offline copies all over the world, how did those things destroyed? I’m now thinking about a malicious alien species… Wanting to stop human evolution by destroying the greatest OS in mankind (:P). So they can easily destroy everything they want with targeted gamma shots and with it all Android devices and everything else not mentioned.
Okay Linux disappeared…
How I would live? Probably not anymore, because everything is shutdown, all mankind, in my country at least, raided it self and killed almost everyone.

You’re thinking of this the wrong way. Dead, not gone. Not erased, but development of the kernel stopped. No new updates to Linux itself.

1 Like

Or its made proprietary on new tech.

1 Like

can’t be done realistically. AFAIK in order to change the license they’d need to have approval of all the contributors or throw out the code of the ones that won’t approve, which will be virtually everyone.

1 Like

You don’t need to change the license. You just make your new drivers binary blobs, it creates the same outcome.

1 Like

This in unrealistic because of on how many servers Linux runs. It’s in the interests of the vendors to keep supporting those.

We’re talking about the future keep in mind. Most servers run x86. ARM has loads of binary blobs. GPUs have loads of binary blobs. low level CPU chips have binary blobs.

3 Likes

Yeah. And now that I’ve thought a bit more about that, that too won’t kill Linux on it’s own. The blobs still need to work with the kernel. And so the kernel still needs to exist.

And ofc, the kernel is still open-source.

Yeah, im just looking from the theory of ‘what if’ which i think the easiest would be if new mainstream hardware comes along that is adopted by everyone and has essentially drmd blobs.

For example Intels licensing on their microcode.

2 Likes

But don’t we already have that? Especially on mobile.

They were forced to reverse the license, but it is just an example of how it could work. I dont think it would really happen, or if it does its probably 10 years from now.

1 Like

Keep it on topic please.