IcyDock m.2 PCIe hotswap adapater giveaway

To add nvme storage to my spinning rust server.

That would be great to have! I’d love to not have to remove my GPU and chipset cooler to swap drives!

I’m looking for a new beehive - this could do.

I’d use it to easily swap out drives that people are questioning in their systems. Or as a way to swap out media in a nonconnected unit in a remote pool hut.

Would like to play around with creating iscsi on my truenas and create a nvme pool and play with different zfs setups.

All my servers are running proxmox. Top server is Intel Atom c3758 running pfSense and IOT sutff. Middle is Papa/Daughter gaming rig. Bottom is my epyc 7302P (80 TB spinning rust) truenas, nextcloud, homelab.

3 Likes

@wendell Can you share a bit more information about the “identical looking” Dilinker adapter. I’m having the link quality issue (correctable pcie errors) running a P5800X in the StarTek adapter. Yesterday, I ordered the Dilinker in attempt to fix the issue, but after your video I have doubts that that will work…

Which “identical looking” Dilinker would work? Alternatively, which U.2 cable would work with the Asus board + P5800X?

As for the giveaway, I’d use the hotswap adapted it in my workstation build as a way to quickly image laptops and to test lower end m2 drives as I work on my software. My last desktop build was a decade ago, first happy boot of this little monster was yesterday and I immediately compiled a thing that used to take 40 minutes on my laptop in roughly 2 minutes [sheds tear of joy] Work in progress:

the ones I got from aliexpress arent there
the ones from ebay the seller has been out of stock for a while
these just popped up:

looks promising. its a total crapshoot.

Some folks have convinced me that only certain bios versions allow those u.2 to operate at pcie4 speed. I had recommended that but another user on here said they got it working. I got it working on the early bios version but the current bios version seems locked at pcie3 speeds.

the early bios is bugged in that it doesnt support more than 10nvme under any circumstance though

Thank you. Crapshoot indeed. I just picked up one of these as well (says gen4 on the label) GLOTRENDS U.2 (SFF-8639) PCIe NVMe 4.0/3.0 Adapter for U.2 PCIe SSD, PCI-E GEN4 Full Speed, Desktop PC Installation - Newegg.com

Putting an expensive bit of kit on these adapter can be intimidating. Will report if it works out.

I’d use it as a backup medium between my server and my brother’s server on the other side of the city. If they work great, buy two more, for my friend’s systems.

that has to be one of the cleanest labs i have ever seen

Backups, backups and backups :grinning:

I would use this for my son’s VR/HTPC that is notoriously annoying to work inside, and my son is prone to messing up his OS. this would simplify SSD upgrades or if i need to update files.

Good luck everyone.

I had BlackX USB/eSATA to SATA drive bays to archive and recover data from old drives. This would let me do something similar on my latest build.
You were an influence for me to build my Asus WRX80E Sage MegaBuild.

I’d use it to replace my spinning rust hard drive that has most of my games on it. Some of the game updates lately have been painfully slow updating via Steam. I’m looking at you Satisfactory…

I’d totally use it for multi-boot and distro hopping.

I would use it when troubleshooting others m.2 drives. I occasionally have had to try and get data for someone and needed a way to get their drive into something and this would be a great way to do that.

This is great. Thank you L1.

I would use this as part of my new TrueNAS Scale server that I am building. I think it will replace both my TrueNAS Core & Unraid servers. TBD on that though, thus far I have really liked using 1 dedicated server for storage and 1 for virtualization/containerization.

I will put this in a shadow box as part of my shrine to L1t. I will simp the hardest.

I’d probably end up using it for testing; though pigeon/postal out-of-band transfer doesn’t sound bad for large ones; though SSDs are still a bit pricy for that. Add to that, that if you aren’t doing tars divided in to parts, there isn’t a good way to split files to offline devices (not even talking syncing / pushing changes).
I got hundreds of 500G HDDs pulled from laptops. The closest are tape backup software. I thought I’d get something with CD stuff, but the most helpful I got was indexing content already written to disk…

Would swap my server’s ssd with broken connectors for this thing. Would love faster storage and the benefit of easy access. If I not win this, I will buy this regardless