IcyDock m.2 PCIe hotswap adapater giveaway

the ones I got from aliexpress arent there
the ones from ebay the seller has been out of stock for a while
these just popped up:

looks promising. its a total crapshoot.

Some folks have convinced me that only certain bios versions allow those u.2 to operate at pcie4 speed. I had recommended that but another user on here said they got it working. I got it working on the early bios version but the current bios version seems locked at pcie3 speeds.

the early bios is bugged in that it doesnt support more than 10nvme under any circumstance though

Thank you. Crapshoot indeed. I just picked up one of these as well (says gen4 on the label) GLOTRENDS U.2 (SFF-8639) PCIe NVMe 4.0/3.0 Adapter for U.2 PCIe SSD, PCI-E GEN4 Full Speed, Desktop PC Installation - Newegg.com

Putting an expensive bit of kit on these adapter can be intimidating. Will report if it works out.

I’d use it as a backup medium between my server and my brother’s server on the other side of the city. If they work great, buy two more, for my friend’s systems.

that has to be one of the cleanest labs i have ever seen

Backups, backups and backups :grinning:

I would use this for my son’s VR/HTPC that is notoriously annoying to work inside, and my son is prone to messing up his OS. this would simplify SSD upgrades or if i need to update files.

Good luck everyone.

I had BlackX USB/eSATA to SATA drive bays to archive and recover data from old drives. This would let me do something similar on my latest build.
You were an influence for me to build my Asus WRX80E Sage MegaBuild.

I’d use it to replace my spinning rust hard drive that has most of my games on it. Some of the game updates lately have been painfully slow updating via Steam. I’m looking at you Satisfactory…

I’d totally use it for multi-boot and distro hopping.

I would use it when troubleshooting others m.2 drives. I occasionally have had to try and get data for someone and needed a way to get their drive into something and this would be a great way to do that.

This is great. Thank you L1.

I would use this as part of my new TrueNAS Scale server that I am building. I think it will replace both my TrueNAS Core & Unraid servers. TBD on that though, thus far I have really liked using 1 dedicated server for storage and 1 for virtualization/containerization.

I will put this in a shadow box as part of my shrine to L1t. I will simp the hardest.

I’d probably end up using it for testing; though pigeon/postal out-of-band transfer doesn’t sound bad for large ones; though SSDs are still a bit pricy for that. Add to that, that if you aren’t doing tars divided in to parts, there isn’t a good way to split files to offline devices (not even talking syncing / pushing changes).
I got hundreds of 500G HDDs pulled from laptops. The closest are tape backup software. I thought I’d get something with CD stuff, but the most helpful I got was indexing content already written to disk…

Would swap my server’s ssd with broken connectors for this thing. Would love faster storage and the benefit of easy access. If I not win this, I will buy this regardless

i would personally use it for side loading windows on to m.2 drives to put them into pcs i build. it would be nice to be able to use my main pc for just writing the files to the ssd without having to get the usb boot it and go thru all that when i can just make a standard install and then just move that to the ssd boot it up and bam done. quick and easy.

That would be so cool for my home server *-*

I’d torture it with PCIe Gen4 SSDs and lament about the PCIe bus errors :upside_down_face:

@wendell

If possible could you call out Icy Dock about not selling proper cables for their PCIe backplane products?

I did that in a comment to the YouTube video but they weaseled out of it by just saying “Oooh it’s too hard to build some for the various HBA controllers etc.”

While I accept that premise for abominations like the Broadcom HBA 9400 line that needs proprietary cables to connect to U.2 SSDs despite having SFF-8643 ports I disagree strongly with that regarding vanilla/standard PCIe-enabled U.2, M.2 or just regular PCIe slots.

Building an Dual Xeon E5-2696/Asus Z10PE-D8/Titan XP budget render/Blender/C++ learning machine. The board was very inexpensive, I have two old M.2s, CPU were not too bad (one from Amsterdam purchase/one from Ebay(China), so overall, having lots of pci slots, this would work great in my new machine. I only need some ECC ram, and Amazon did not deliver for the first time. (the order never arrived). Anyways, this would be great for adding fast storage to help with the render times, and quick access to the hard drives. Good luck everyone. I don’t have any pictures yet as I won’'t put the board in the case until I have ram.

i’d replace my spinning rust drives

I am about to stumble into piles of M.2 drives, but I need a way to DOD wipe them easily.
Might make sense to use somthing like this. also i’m a madman, so it might just make it’s way into my server…