IcyDock m.2 PCIe hotswap adapater giveaway

This looks great and the heatsink looks robust enough to handle a seriously hot drive. I would use it in my home workstation to hold a live backup of all my critical information. If I needed to evacuate quickly and didn’t have time to grab my tower, I could just take this and keep all the family photos etc safe.
Good luck everyone

Slap it in my HPE 10th Gen Micro server as a File cache for my mechanical storage for VMs, Games servers etc.

I would love to add an SSD to my computer, and having an M.2 adapter would be nice because it would future-proof me, and would be faster. My HP Elitedesk 800 G1 doesn’t have an M.2, so this adapter would be perfect

This is what I used to start my home lab journey. It would hold my plex server files so my friends and I can store all of our favorite shows and movies.

My only comment is this looks incredibly useless to me. I don’t understand rear case IO active functionality when theres little access to the back of a PC case in the first place.

I’d use it to store an NVMe to run as both a Plex server and as swap memory to be utilized by Vivado when programming FPGAs.

Multiple use cases:

1. A true physical dual boot of Windows and Linux. I have found that Windows and Linux don’t always like to see each other in the same system so I keep them on separate hot swap SSDs. It would be nice to move this to nvme.
  2. Linux Kernel tinkering. Would be great to swap out my daily driver OS to a custom kernel and try it on other platforms.
    3)Basic media server portability. I would probably buy a second one on these and use it to move medias files between system where one of the system is portable( (e.g HTPC/gaming box)

Great technology,
I will use it to unplug my data of publicity work and stock in my store from the pc that a let there overnight, for safe keeping.
Maybe I’ll use it to post something when I came to my house and plug it to my home pc, but I’m afraid that I’ll trip the power braker :sweat_smile:
Nice tech Wendell. Good luck guys.

I would use that in my main Proxmox node. It’s a Dell SFF and it could use some faster primary storage on it.

I’d stick on the back of my homelab server.

The 3rd gen ryzen board only has 1 m.2 slot on the front. Once ubuntu 22.04 comes out ill be moving the system from TrueNAScore back to Ubuntu with ZFS on boot.
Having that boot drive as a mirrored ZFS pool would make the box neigh invincible!!!
Mwahahhah… AHAHAHHAHAHHAHA…

oh… your still here.
have a cookie.
:cookie:

I’d use to to easily plug in my 500GB nvme drive that I got to use on my Raspberry Pi CM4 board that has a slot for it but it is SO DANG SLOW to transfer 100’s of GB’s through SD Cards that I just havent even been using it…
My mother board doesn’t have any more m.2 slots so I can just quickly fill the drive up and get to that sweet retro fun. As it is I have to continue using my 64GB SD Card to to just put some ROMS on and use those for a little while, transfer them over to the m.2 drive, and then start over another day… I just wanna fill up the 500GB with what I have saved already and then just get it over with, and this PCIe card would MAKE THAT HAPPEN!!! lol
So maybe I’ll luck out, maybe not. That up some some of the ‘higher powers’ lol :smiley:

I think I would use it in my Server as an easily accessible drive. I’m really looking forward into this. I wanted to have something like this for quiet a while now. Imagine having like 32 “hot swapable” NVMe (or even any drives) drives in a 1U enclosure.

Aggressive data transfers / system backups, would be fitting

Not immediately saying I’d need it, but is no-cap a welcoming device
… Best of luck, to all contenders

Awesome tool.
I would use it for a system that is primarily my home lab. However I do sometimes use it for gaming nights with friends. Currently I open the system up and swap the SATA SSD’s around between ESXI and Windows. This would be an awesome way to switch between the two more conveniently.

I’d use it to add a spare games drive, as my mobo has u.2 + nvme but only allows one to be connected.

I would like to use it on my main PC to upgrade my 128 hard drive. Its getting kinda old Don’t know how many more months she has in her lol.

I Would Like one to make my PC more modern

I would use it as an metadata cache drive for a plex server build.

that enclosure would be perfect for my server. be great for the cache disk that is currently just hanging out in there

This is great solution to add NVME to my Dell R730. I use this server for plot chia which is take 8 hours on normal SSD but on NVME will done in 15 min.