I wanna learn, then get employed

Hello great community of wisdom,

Looking to get experience that will allow me to move to a better job. Currently not in an IT field. I could watch YouTube and duckduckgo information all day, but that doesn’t make it stick. Looking to purchase a Total Seminar course for an a+ certification to get the ball rolling. They market their videos and labs will make the learning process all in one place is nice.

It would be easy to purchase any bootcamp type but with no experience its like sex first time and I don’t have the luxury of wasting my time. Udemy, linux academy, and the hundreds others that don’t come to mind.

5 Likes

would that it is that easy. If I could offer one piece of advice… for the new, don’t buy anything. Getting started at the lowest rungs? Plenty of free resources, the community here can help you decide and direct you to some resources.

There is no real Total Seminar that is a true one-size-fits-all solution. But let that discourage you not!

14 Likes

If you want to spend money for online classes, I can recommend ituonline. They have decent prices, and the classes are good - I haven’t actually ever finished anything there; I just take a class long enough to resolve the immediate issues I encounter then kind of forget it exists.

Full disclosure, I was offered a great deal where I have full access to all of their classes for like $300 USD. I have no affiliate or marketing connection.

If you’re working towards an A+ cert, IMO the best route is to gain an understanding of general computing technologies; storage mediums, the general connectors used in networking, learn the difference in networking cables USB etc, work towards understanding the voltages used in computers and a deeper understanding in hardware inter-connectivity.

You’re going to need to know how to install OSes of different flavours, and troubleshoot software, troubleshoot network issues, and at least have an understanding of virtualization and cloud based things.

IDK how much emphasis is put on the VM/Cloud, mobile or security aspects for the actual certification, but the Comp/TIA cert says it is a part of it now.

as far as I know what makes things stick is gettin hands dirty

doesn’t matter if you watch the whole 50h long udemy course if you don’t get your hands dirty

if you wanna sysadmin go here:

if you wanna develop software then give feedback and we can work on that

welcome to the forums, hope you have a good time!

5 Likes

Pick a project and start working on it.

Every hurdle will make you find information, adapt it to your problem and so on.

5 Likes

Do you go home on time? Do you get plenty of sleep? Can you quickly find another job? Moving into IT could be worse.

As for training, I can recommend the following video:

4 Likes

Do you know if you want to start with more Windows/desktop type things or Linux/server?

1 Like

I work 3rd shift, I get little to no sleep as I’ve just had a kid. Another job would be easy to get but the pay will never go up any significant amount. As for the philosophy that office space brings up, Of happiness being relative to one’s experience in life and you won’t be able to find that happiness until you experience some sort of low in one’s life. Makes a great and simple movie. You won’t discouraged me from seeking new avenues of revenue. :blush: hope you are well, feel free to pm if you would like to discuss further

Definitely linux, What little experience I have with it is being able to navigate a terminal and file system very little and very slow while installing modded Minecraft servers. Maintaining it is still very awkard for me though.

2 Likes

Do you have something you can run a virtual machine on (nothing fancy, just virtual box or similar)?

Install CentOS in a VM, and do everything you can in the Red Hat documentation (mostly the stuff under System Administration).

Take lots of snapshots so you can roll back when you mess up.

Also, force yourself to use vi/vim. If you use it everyday, it will become second nature in a couple weeks and you’ll start typing nonsense into your web browser on accident (from the vim muscle memory). This is a good video for vim.

3 Likes

You can try their free resources first.

Purchasing stuff is hit or miss and the money is better saved towards achievable certs and being able to handle life and moving (if need be) etc for the career.

My recommendation. Try to take a distro/software agnostic approach. What do I mean by this? Dont limit yourself to only linux, only windows, only certain stuff. Keep the mind open and go forth

Im not in IT. Im an engineer. Different side of the tech industry … so I couldnt point in an absolute direction. There are many directions to take.

A+ is a good basic cert. Try not to spend to much money on it.
MCSA and MCSP for the microsoft route is good
Network+ is good to grab along the way if you can.
Azure certs for cloud certs are hot cakes

Try not to spend all your own money on it. Try to get the foot in the door and get the company to foot the bills :wink: . One way to get your foot in the door is a tech school but that might be outside your range IDK. Depends on how you want to do it. You dont have to go to school.

On your own time master powershell and bash :wink:

On the personal front
INTERPERSONAL SKILLS ARE MAX IMPORTANTE lol

This advice is priceless OP. id follow it. Im sure you will figure it out :wink:

1 Like

I have an i3 think its a 4000 series, old htpc. No idea on the ram. Besides easy roll back, I don’t see the point in installing a cent OS, a VM, and run a cent OS on that…like would I use the base OS just to run the vm, then set a minecraft server in the vm…then make a new vm instance for a different mod or project? As I type this out I’m realizing the benefits of the vm.

In this instance I’d have to attach a monitor? Or is sshing the base os, start the vm in terminal, then enter the vm?

A good starting cert that many employers look for is the lowest level red hat cert. Its very attainable and there are some great resources out there for it. Plus you’ll have a great understanding on how to use Linux by the time you are done.

• Install virtualbox
  • Install CentOS in VirtualBox
  • Setup CentOS to boot into terminal
    or minimize VirtualBox and ssh into CentOS from your bass OS
  • Start hacking
3 Likes

If you need help with any of this just ask!

1 Like

I have a bachelor degree in CS (not a US degree) and I got a job as a sysadmin. But my degree really had a minor part in me getting this job and making me able to chug along well with everything I have to do.
What really helped me, what gave me a solid base to build on was a Raspberry Pi. No joke going at it over and over again just because I wanted to make something work really gave me good confidence in using the terminal and familiarity with everything needed. Then I built on it all the theory on Linux and added the knowledge of more specific things.

So my suggestion is to get a Raspberry Pi and doing things on it through SSH. Follow tutorials, but don’t just copy and paste commands, write them out all the time and try to understand what’s their meaning. Make things you can use and manage (a VPN, a NAS, cloud storage, Plex server and so on). If you mess it up take out the SD, write over a fresh OS and you’re good to go again. Once you got the grip on the basics start going at it with the theory. And I guess that means you can work on an LPI certification.

5 Likes

:point_up_2: do that

You don’t need to mess with a dedicated monitor or anything. It runs in a window.

1 Like

I come up with something I want to build, research the possible ways it could be done, pick one and apply myself. Maybe buy a few books that covers the basics of the fields in question, and then I dig in. I have probably 20 meters of books that covers the basics for just about anything, best investment I did. Been doing similarly since I was 10.

Three months ago I had issues writing a hello world c++ program. Now I’m finishing up an esp32 firmware which creates an encrypted private mesh network using LoRa so each individual node can react to sensor data from anywhere within the mesh. Granted, it’s been some long ass work weeks, but it was worth every minute, great challenge. And well, I got a lot better at C++

Ok so what I’ve go so far is do a vm to have easy flexibility and roll backs. Easy enough. Should the vm be on my main hardware an i5 or a second desktop i3? Does that matter? I’ve dabbled ssh but not VPN. So openVPN, ssh, into the vm os

Would you agree these are my first steps? Learn to set up and effectively use VPN on main desktop, install VPN in the vm, ssh through the VPN to gain safe access to the vm?

2 Likes

Sounds like you’re gunning for a sysadmin job. It requires you to be somewhat of a jack of all trades. You need a bit of networking, a bit of security (some very basic math), and fair bit of development skills which entails things like coding, software engineering project management theory, data structures and algorithms, also basic management skills for a non junior role. Also, you’d need hardware and software experience to be effective.

Typically once you go too deep in any direction you no longer care to do sysadmin work.
Junior roles/jobs do allow for major gaps in knowledge in the portfolio above, but the idea is that you’d be able to make up for it with enthusiasm and sweat that over time your seniors could mold you into a useful member of the community (same as any junior role anywhere).

I’d recommend you start with something like setting up Linux from scratch or Gentoo, and try running some php web apps there. Learn how to setup and use a something something server (start with http like apache or nginx and bind) and in parallel to that, run through CCNA for networking, and look at MIT courses for security (e.g. nikolai zeldovich had an interesting semester from a few years ago) and for algorithms and datastructures (also mit).

About 2 years of a regimented approach starting like that should get you employable as a junior sysadmin at a major organization that can afford to have you develop further on the job, or depending on your personal skills you could “lie” and if lucky land a smaller gig where you’d be in hot water for a while and you’d be challenged to maintain a bunch of crappy stuff for a smaller org (this learning more organically).

On the list of useful experience skills for sysadmin roles are various cloud things… don’t start with those. Cloud is just a set of managed services running in datacenters with automated provisioning and billing. Build your own for learning, try using when you get the money.

You could go with alternative routes, starting as a coder and into software development and engineering… Your best “in” as of right now is through Android and iOS apps for phones ; React JS for the web apps (still) ; and Tensorflow for machine learning. It’s risky because if one of these doesn’t sit well with you, you’ll spend a bunch of time on nothing before you can get paid.

CCNA (+CCNP later) + redhat cert combo + some messing around running your own stuff at home are probably the shortest path to employability (1y enough for all three). The pay is not that good unless you evolve afterwards (web app development is the easy route). Pays about 1/2 to 2/3 of a “new grad” college junior dev/sysadmin pay, which itself is about half or 2/3 of 10year (tenured) senior dev/sysadmin pay, which itself is about 1/2 or 1/3 of principal/superstar dev/sysadmin/director pay (350 - 750k /year before tax in silicon valley ; 250-400k /year in major city in Europe … work your down from there). Messing around on your own and learning is not a substitute for on the job experience.

Either way you’re playing the long game from your current perspective. Go setup Gentoo and a mail server and git server on that box (you’ll tear it down rebuild it later); and find networking 101 / CCNA training materials (books/videos) floating around the web.

And find a source of pirated books and learning materials - so you can get decent previews of courses so you can avoid dedicating time and money towards something that won’t hold your interest.

6 Likes

Is it very simple… Doing it yourself will be very expensive !.

Get a job show your worth, Ask for training . Get it for free while paided less.

All I ever did was learn. After school which I hated !. Working and learning was fun. Neaver stop learning, School was just bullshit if your made it this far. Never stop learning !