I wanna learn, then get employed

huly fuck that’s a whole roadmap there

thank you!

I got a question along this line, how do you turn your home lab / system building experience into something you can get a job with, proven your experience?
MY homelab / home network is made up of Pfsence,Truenas Core, XCP-ng, 40/10/1Gib networking on a brocade, several jails for home services.
I have also been reading up more about FreeBSD.

My suggestion would be have your laptop in the interview to show what you’ve done and can do. Show them your experience/knowledge base. They will be asking you questions but to show how you’ll troubleshoot live would be more impressive then just an flat answer that could be googled.

SSH is already secure. You don’t need a vpn, especially for something on your local network.

1 Like

Word

SSH stands for Secure Shell.

It’s encrypted and is a generic protocol that allows you to do a bunch of cool stuff on top of it. You can tunnel FTP through it, for example, which is really nice since FTP is not encrypted.

I knew SSH was encrypted I just figured vpn in would add another layer of security and be doing something else that I don’t understand because I are noob

Ehhh, the SSH handshake is very secure and while VPN is another layer, it’s only really helpful if you’re not confident in SSH being secure. That said, my company only allows SSH through the VPN to prevent leaving the server open to the world. (mostly to quiet the “access denied” log entries down) If you’d be connecting from the internet, a VPN can be helpful.

We’re all at our own stage in learning, keep it up and you’ll be a pro in no time!

4 Likes

Word, thanks for the tips

1 Like

Documentation. It’s very common unfortunately that work gets done and the only documentation resides inside people’s heads. Showing that you’re organized and good at describing how the system(s) work and interlace is very valuable to emloyers in my experience.

And being able to show employers/recreuters what you’ve built and designed should give an edge. Atleast over applicants with only certs and very little to no practical experience. It also show a willingness to learn and drive to get things done.

In my case, during the two interviews, I’ve been asked lots of questions regarding architecture and commands. Me answering on the spot without thinking on the questions really made the difference I think.
I didn’t think about showing my work to be honest, also because my “lab” was just a Pi which is always going through changes.

But what @PetTheStash is absolutely correct. Set up a demo of what you did so that, when you’re presenting yourself, you can sneak in that you have a web access to show your work, and get them interested. Bringing a laptop might look too much like a “show and tell” kind of deal. To me looks more professional leaving up to who’s interviewing you the possibility to see what you did.

• Teach yourself python
  • Get a free tier Amazon server for a year
  • Contribute to Open Source

although in a more serious note:

lots of people on youtube who say you don’t need a degree to work in IT often have a degree

not sure how it is on the US but I think employers do frown upon people with no degrees… of course not everyone and even more if you’re really good at what you do… but you gotta be really good tho

Probably depends on the workplace, interviewer, and human resource. My friend (college grad and with Cisco certs) informed me that his workplace employs both type of workers. It probably depends on area of expertise and what they are looking for, like any workplace. First step is not to sell your-self short.
If nobody employs you, employ your self. There’s lots of IT things to do. Refer to mr/ms Risks post in the thread where they covers a bit of the different fields, still just a small portion of what’s possible. Who knows what the future holds.
Personally its going to be an alternative or another side revenue for me. Physical labor is great fun but an injury can stop you from providing for your self or anyone that depends on you. I’d like to secure possibilities, if not for me my kids. Don’t stop, believing…woooowoooooo

I presume a college course is worth a couple years work experience? And if you have more than just a couple years experience, presumably you’d have a cert or two, making you more valuable in the certified areas?

#WhoYouKnowTrumpsWhatYouKnow

1 Like

Depends on the person interviewing, every place is looking for different and might fraze it different. College to means you were committed to something, certs means you memorized answers.
The job that you might think is good, might be a workplace trying to make the applicant do more than what’s a sys admin would normally do. Cause your new and inexperienced, it would be hard for use to turn it down cause we think it’s practical experience.

#KeepPoliticesutOfThis
Thanks

Or College of Idaho graduates anyone who can find the off switch, compared to CCNA which failed those who don’t know which octet will broadcast packets to a whole subnet.
That’s the kinda independent standards I was thinking.
But just asking from people already in the field

Hah! Depends on whether you are interviewing for a job at a university.

One year working the job at a company is worth more on a resume than a PhD in Comp Sci. Breaking into the market and getting that first bit of experience is the toughest part. Plenty of other difficulties, but that’s the largest hurdle.

Who has time to do non-productive work like studying for tests when you’re busy with actual work?

@rcxb Seems we are getting off topic, just bashing colleges. If you’re going for a PhD then your more interested in developing and teaching the technology not working for a company.
@AlRoss0908 , ya I don’t know. Its YouTube, its a revenue stream for people. They will give an opinion. The fact that you didn’t research a school and call them before moving to a different country is kind of on you, in my opinion.

Fact is people of got employed doing it both ways.
It’s your commitment to the task that will make the difference

Master Cobal then walk into a bank and name your price.

2 Likes