I really want the Steam Controller now

Oh. Ok. Well that helps a lot. So i’m good even if I get the “wired” one even though it’s actually also wireless. But why market the “wireless” one as wireless, then?

Oh… Now i’m fucking confused again. :joy:

So the wired one has a built-in battery pack? And the wireless one has AAs?

@kush He’s not joking. It’s no joking matter, actually. Shipping to Canada, and especially outside; JUST to the US is mental. It’s absolutely, ridiculously stupid. THEN you get hit with import fees.

But I guess i’ll go for the XBox One controller if I can find it. Or perhaps the Steam controller if I can find one, and if it’s not a hastle to use with non-Steam games. I wish I could try one for like… a week and see how everything works ahaha.

But I have a LONG time before I play The Witcher 3. I ordered the first two games’ Enhanced Editions on MONDAY from Amazon. And they still haven’t shipped! WTF, AMAZON!?

And that brings me to my next question about the Xbox controller. How does it cope with older games? What if I wanna play Witcher 1 and 2 with it?

Oh, and also guys…

@everyone

My Witcher 3 hype builder-upper can be found here: I’d really like some general talk about the game going. What I can expect, that sort of thing.

1 Like

I can understand that. I am currently primarily gaming on my HTPC with the Steam controller and on a Switch. Switch-ing (ha) between the two can be frustrating, although for me, the inversion of the A/B and X/Y buttons is the most infuriating.

1 Like

Wired controllers don’t need batteries as the wire conducts electricity.

But what about the fact that you can’t remove the battery?

OH! Also. I forgot. I have the cable you use with a PS3 controller. Forgot the USB cable type. B? Idk… Can I use that to connect the wireless one? If so, then i’ll go for the wireless.

There is no battery. Power comes over the wire. Does your microwave oven have a battery? If works like that.

:confounded:

Someone just said both can be used wired/wireless.

Then where does the power come from?

To clarify, I was talking about normal Xbox one controllers. There are variants that are NOT wireless, at all, and only have a USB cable. These controllers work like old PS2 era controllers. No battery at all, only connected by a USB cable.

Ok. So the only one that can transition from both WIRELESS AND WIRED is the wireless controller?

Yes, that’s right. The wired one is only wired.

What if I want to go wired on the wireless controller? Which USB cable type do I need? I have the one the PS3 uses.

The XB is micro b. IIRC the PS one is mini b.

Yeah, it is micro-USB on the controller end and USB-A on the Xbone end. You can just buy the wireless controller and plug it in, sure. Note only the newer Xbone gamepads support Bluetooth.

Well I like the fact that the Wireless has both capabilities. That one sounds like the better option.

Actually, I think I already have one. :grinning:

My old HTC Sensation. I believe it uses that exact cable to charge.

If you have an older Xbone gamepad it won’t work wirelessly over Bluetooth. I believe MS sells an adapter that will work, though. USB wired works regardless.

1 Like

If you’ve charged a cell phone in the last 10 years, you have the right cable, lol.

2 Likes

Yeah, but probably not long enough to stretch to your couch.

You can pick them up from games shops locally (at least in Perth). Ditto for steam link.

But yeah if all you want is a controller for games with controller support, buy an XBONE controller, it’s better for those games.

The steam controller however enables you to do stuff like play civilization 6 from the couch.

1 Like

I had an xbone controller and I think it lasted a month before the analog sticks started to wear and the usb port became completely unusable. If you’re going to get one I’d suggest using it wirelessly because unlike the wired 360 controllers which had a permanent cable with strain relief the xbone controller just has a micro USB connector which has no mechanical strength and will break pretty quickly. Mini USB like the ps3 controller uses seems to be stronger, or at least I haven’t managed to break mine yet.

Yeah, I only just realized.

@Dexter_Kane

That was gonna be my next question. I’ve had my PS3 controller since I had my PS3. 2008. And the analog stick I always push in has been broken I think at least for a couple of years… UGH!

Well i’m not worried about anything breaking, unless it’s due to shoddy quality. The PS3 controller are garbage. From what i’ve seen the Xbox controllers have always been on point. And at the end of the day, Microsoft KNEW what they were borrowing from. They DID borrow from the Sega Dreamcast design. The design still shows. That diamond button layout. The overal framework of the controller and shape. There’s just something about it.

Next Question What about using it to play older games. I have the Witcher 1 and 2 on the way… well. GOING to be on the way, once they FUCKING SHIP! Ordered them on Monday. STILL nothing. And mind you, Witcher 1 is from 2007. So, quite old. I can’t even begin to question how the controller is set up for 10+ year-old games?

That’s what I’m saying, micro usb is not an acceptable connector if you’re planning on using it as a wired controller and the analog sticks wore after only a month of use