I really want the Steam Controller now

Well that’s not good. I heard that on Bestbuy reviews after glancing over them thinking “what a bunch of morons. Giving low ratings because of defective units.” REALLY?

After a month!? There’s no way that’s normal.

Not sure if this fits in with the discussion, haven’t been following this thread. But I’m thoroughly unimpressed with the Xbox One console and controller quality. 1 Console with bad disc tray and a bad power supply, 2 Controllers with bad triggers, one controller with double-clicking Dpad. One of my 360 controllers also has a bad bumper, opened it up and the switch was mounted off on the PCB. Meanwhile never had any issues with DualShock controllers out of the box like that. We’ve had some break after years and years of heavy use, but no issues like this Xbox shite.

1 Like

Compared to the 360, the Xbone is a frickin’ tank. It’s massively overbuilt, particularly on cooling.

I’m really happy with my wired 360 afterglow controllers. The cable is plenty long. They feel good in the hand. They’re cheap. I’m looking to buy 2 more.

On GNU/Linux there’s a program called sc-controller that I recommend. It lets you use it without Steam and still configure bindings and multiple profiles and such. I’ve used it along with a computer connected to a TV to browse the web and such. You can bring up a soft keyboard and type with both thumbs just like you can inside of Steam, except with whatever program you want thanks to sc-controller. It’s pretty neat. If you’re on Arch, it’s in the AUR. You might also have to tweak some settings to get it to connect at first. There’s some info about this on the Arch Wiki if you just search for “steam controller”.

Oh reading that last part by @bard there is also GloSC for an outside steam compatibility with the steam controller. I have not yet had need to use it but it gets big praise from the SC subreddit.