Prenihility's PC Gaming Marathon: The Witcher

WAIT! No. It’s not me asking about the series. Well. Not entirely. But i’m actually about to start playing all three. In order, of course. I have two, new boxed versions on the way. Ordered Enhanced Edition of the first two, and I will get the third game’s Complete Edition shortly.

So. Really, I only have two questions.

How good are the PC controls overall (KB/M) for all three games? SHOULD I also get an Xbox controller? AND. Mods. How much can I mod the games, and which mods are generally recommended? I keep hearing the third game was neutered because of consoles. And that what was shown at E3 was way better.

And finally, I know, i know. It’s kind of an arbitrary question. But still. There was a demo (tech demo?) of some sort of Witcher 3 I saw. It showed a woman opening the windows to her home and I believe she was throwing some water out of a bucket during the demo? Or watering flowers? Just kind of wanna see that again. It’s what I remember from the video. It had that nice, European medieval fantasy feel to it. Because back when Skyrim came out, what got me PUMPED was the E3 reveal with Todd Howard playing.

And of course, any general comments about what I can/should expect are fine. I’m an Elder Scrolls head, so. Yeah. Oblivion is my shit. Skyrim, too of course.

Advice, thoughts? Controller recommendations? I’ve actually been convinced to get the Steam controller.

The controls are pretty terrible for the first two games, improved in the third but still not great. They are probably the biggest negative for the series. KB/M or Xbox controller, I’ve used both for the series and prefer the controller only because it isn’t any worse than keyboard.

Also, the steam controller is stupid. Get an Xbox controller.

1 Like

:joy:

That assessment of the Steam Controller. Yeah, i’m thinking i’ll just get the Xbox at first, and then deal with the hastle of the Steam controller later if I really want to. Because right now, even FINDING one will be a hastle. It’s actually quite ridiculous.

And could I even play 1 and 2 with an Xbox controller?

If I recall correctly, yes.

Anything and EVERYTHING I can know about optimizing performance would be greatly appreciated.

Just keep in mind… I don’t need a guideline for “low, Medium, High, Ultra” settings… Those kinds of guides are just so fucking cringey… “Ultra looks best, but lowers performance the most!” Really? Ya don’t say? Well no shit, huh?

I’ve played all Elder Scrolls so i’ve done my fair share of .ini tweaking and what have you. On Fallout 4 i’ve done godray ultra setting tweaking and stuff like that.

Anything and EVERYTHING I can do to make the game run with more mathematical perfection is much appreciated. After all, this is PC. We must optimize the games ourselves. Sometimes less, sometimes more. We’re not using consoles.

Does Witcher 3 use .ini files? I’m probably gonna go over to Nexus and see what they have on offer there. It might just surprise me. Fallout 4’s Ultra setting godrays were blown way out of proportion. I actually installed a mod which gives it ZERO LOD loss on god ray Ultra settings. Plus gives me more performance? Who the hell wouldn’t wanna take the time to do that?

If there’s ANYTHING of that sort to do for Witcher 3. Please, please let me know, folks!