I need help with Jellyfin and Truenas. I feel like an idiot

What library type is being used?

I sourced some music files that were mp4 and kept banging my head against the wall why they did not show in my music folder until I realized the files are “videos” to Jellyfin so the music library ignores the mp4 files. But they work fine in music videos library type.

Its under the Shows Library Type. I only have Video in my system rn (that jellyfin can see). Ive attached two logs, but idk what they say and Im sorry Im not much help, The pastebin logs are as follows (ZctQ2pAC) (we9pinSt). Theyre within 2-3 hrs of each other

Im watching on the TV app right now. Wouldnt load anything from that show, and when I was loading another it wouldnt display the subtitles that are involved in the MKV container. I think im just in over my head

I keep seeing permission denied in the ZctQ2pAC log file.

In TrueNAS Scale admin portal > Apps > “Settings” button (between Bulk Actions button and Launch Docker Image button) > Advanced Settings menu, is the “Enable Host Path Safety Checks” option unchecked?

Here are the settings!

Did you follow a guide during the Jellyfin setup?

If yes, was this the guide you followed for setting up Jellyfin in your TrueNAS Scale system?

Trying to figure out what your current settings/baseline is.

Yes I did! It broke yesterday and the pool went offline, but on return I didnt do the Cache/config restructure from the guide. I did do the recursive though, as my path is seen at the bottom of the finder window. (Bitsbox is renamed ‘Media’ in Jellyfin’s eyes. If theres folders inside the ones on screen sometimes it breaks (Couldnt see Season 2 or 3 of Castlevania despite the files being there today)

The only difference I remember from the guide was that when I was setting permisions for apps I had an ACL list instead of just the panel that was shown in the guide.

Jellyfin is really sensitive to folder structures and file names as the libraries are built from parsing the structure and file names.

It takes some getting used to figuring out how Jellyfin behaves and interprets stuff.

This is the documentation on the Shows Library type folder structure:

Stuff might not be showing up as Jellyfin may not be seeing the structure its expecting. And the structures change based on library type. You can rename/rearrange files and rescan the library and see if Jellyfin finds them. It definitely has taken me some trial and error to figure out the exact particulars (and I am still learning).

Here is an example folder structure that is working for me. Its not the only way, but naming the files and folders do matter for metadata as well as how Jellyfin organizes the files in the clients.

Hopefully this gets you in the right direction. If not, let us know!

This is what Im using right now. The biggest issue is that 27 is not playing but 29 is. But THese all work when I play it off there in VLC, just no longer in Jellyfin. Others tend to be done in Season format like. (This was the only one when transfered over in 3 Season Folders already it read immediately) idk what Ive done

If possible, within the web client, play the episode 27 that works for 30-60s. Then back to the menu and try the episode 29 that does not.

Then after a minute or two grab the Jellyfin log. Having the two tries back to back should hopefully get us better data.

(weYSnq2V) Heres the new Pastebin. Hopefully that helps!

Thanks! So something is up with Jellyfin<>FFmpeg and those files. In that log you can see beginning on line 124 and 125 the first error.

2023-09-01T23:00:21.821132391Z [23:00:21] [ERR] [48] Jellyfin.Api.Helpers.TranscodingJobHelper: FFmpeg exited with code 1
2023-09-01T23:00:21.922494866Z [23:00:21] [ERR] [48] Jellyfin.Server.Middleware.ExceptionMiddleware: Error processing request. URL GET /videos/0a77a006-a4b6-c9d4-e8c4-3057383b125a/hls1/main/0.ts.
2023-09-01T23:00:21.922576710Z MediaBrowser.Common.FfmpegException: FFmpeg exited with code 1

There should also be a log(s) for ffmpeg. I would recommend taking a look and seeing what those logs say during the errors.

I was also an idiot and was having issues with hardware accel. I realised I hadnt passed throught a gpu (I thought the 0 was the number of the interface)

(CMBkAbN5) the Pastebin logs. It might not be the exact one but its the same error on my end

Oh sweet! You might have just helped me figure out why hardware accel. did not work on my system! I thought 0 was an instance of the GPU as well (like CPU 0). Gonna have to go try that now!

Thanks!

/videos/daf73f56-5dae-5adc-9f2a-dcb3a4bf5a06/live.m3u8{"Protocol":0,"Id":"da - Pastebin.com This gave me an error but this is the ffmpeg log for it I think

Yeah, it now sometimes works instead of only crashing. It is still temperamental depending on which one I pick. idk what I did to break it so bad, as all the video files still work

If you are really confident that you application config/data files are stored outside of your container, you might consider deleting and rebuilding the container. Might be something corrupted the container/image and just needs redownloaded from source. It’s the nuclear method and not a surgical strike.

I am very much still stumbling learning containerization so YMMV on that method.

I think they are, I just used the base iX Systems thing, where it makes it for me, as that way it would work. Is my user id and group id supposed to be bellow 1000? It defaulted to 568