I got fubar

I would hope MSI would have your back, but I’ve never owned or interacted with them.

Or ASUS for that matter.

My main question was “did anything get rekt by a leak?”, as in “was the PC functioning when you took it apart?”

Also, get you an iFixit kit. So worth it for the variety of bits and the actual quality of those bits. I use one daily to take about roughly 13-18 laptops/notebooks/chromebooks and the bits hold up like nothing I’ve ever seen.

1 Like

Yeah, no.
Everything was as tight as a dolphins bunghole when i tore it apart.
No leak dmg.
Just corrosion sofar.

1 Like

Well at least you have that. It could be far worse.

Damaged cooling equipment > fried components.

1 Like

I keep telling myself that…
Dont lessen three pain tho…
272dc16705bdeeed5e29bb012719296b21a302a9_1_467x550
Sitting here replacing the O-rings currently
still have no idea how to clean the koolance quick disconnects

The nickel coating has worn off a bit, but why not keep using it. No reason to throw it away. The copper will tarnish and remain fairly inert, as long as the water/fluid is clean. Distilled water + a drop of stuff to kill the bugs would be your best bet.

I think they only use nickel to try and make sure the same metal is used throughout the components. One thing to reduce corrosion etc. But if your other fittings are not nickel plated, kind of defeats that anyway.

I wonder if you can also get some kind of inline filter with quick-disconnects.

Also something to make you feel better. First time I put a water cooling loop together, i was screwing the fans to the rads. I only had long screws, but the holes were aligned in such a way they went between the tubes. Good enough. The radiator turned into a garden sprinkler when i fired it all up. Had to chop out two cores and solder them up to get it working.

2 Likes

Everything in my entire system was nickel plated copper
with the exception of my radiators
which were brass, an alloy of copper

IIRC copper will corrode in a surface layer and then stop corroding unless eroded somehow. The corrosion forms an oxygen barrier that prevents the metal underneath from corroding further.

That’s why there are historical buildings in Europe that have green copper roofs that are in some cases, hundreds of years old.

Could be and is probably different in a water cooling loop with pressure and whatnot (water is a very powerful erosive force). Also with the price of silicone these days, is it worth risking those components to already damaged cooling hardware?

1 Like

Fuck small things…
Probably fold a shoptowel and use it like a pipecleaner with a pen through the barbs

1 Like

Soak in rubbing alcohol once O-rings are removed?

Shouldn’t damage the metal AFAIK

If i had my pc… id rotate this video to fullscreen…

1 Like

Some sort of wire brush might help. Not sure what material. Start with a plastic bristle brush to be safe?

1 Like

Well, ive got a shop towel and a bic pen

Good to fuckin know info for future watercoolers.

Ok, new o rings installed on the barbs

Not suure… how too… hmm

Got some tinge of discoloration on the tip here

moved

Hope like hell that sealed up nice and tight

well I’m going to start boiling a bunch of water to fill the radiators and give them a shake and dance then I need to make myself a sandwich and lastly I suppose I should try to take apart set CPU apogee xl waterblock

1 Like

well I just got done pouring boiling water into my radiators and shaking the heck out of them and only burning myself just a little bit I did each of the radiators two times the water came out tinged a light blue but nothing amazing

Damn, what a nightmare. My first thought was isopropyl alcohol and lots of it. It’s incredible that the plating got stripped off. Either that shit had some horrible chemical reaction or it’s extremely abrasive.

My first thought when I saw this Vue fluid (on Jayztwocents) was “What is he doing?” The absolute last thing you want to do is add a solid (or even a denser liquid) to your cooling fluid. You got to pump it through micro fins and coils, you want the lightest fluid that still carries decent heat. It’s pretty obvious they get the cool swirl effect by using some kind of solid, as evidenced by the horrors that collected in your blocks and probably the radiators. Some of that may be the plating that stripped off, but there is an awful lot of it.

I’d be pretty wary of the parts that have stripped plating. Do you know if Primochill will cover damaged parts?

2 Likes

well I just popped off my CPU and I’m about to attempt to take that apart and look for damage so far the only thing wrong was the plating missing on that MSI Seahawk I’m about to destroy this CPU block now hang on pictures in Cumming.