How fast is a P5800X Optane?

What’s up bud? I know it’s been a while since you posted this, but I found this searching for my problem. So, I’ve bought a PM1733, and an M.2 to U.2 adapter and put it in my first m.2 slot on my Asus z690 mobo. I think I’m running at gen 4 speeds, but under any kind of load the drive errors out and remounts ro. Any idea how to get the 1733 to run via my adapter without erroring out like this?

1 Like

I just solved a similar problem myself after about 2 months. It turns out that the best combination thus far has been an M.2 adapter with a redriver and a very good cable that will definitely carry a PCIe 4.0 signal.

I used an OCuLink-to-OCuLink cable, but Micro SATA Cables also sells ones that have the other end connect directly to the drive.

I’m also eyeing a setup using an M.2-to-MCIO adapter and an MCIO-to-U.2 cable instead just to be futureproof. I noticed that the PCIe 5.0 solutions are offered using MCIO to the exclusion of older connectors.

3 Likes

ordered that, and all ther pemutations. we’ll see

I also got the Gen-Z variants which is what the systems from amd/genoa use so I am hoping that will really nail everything in terms of compatibility.

3 Likes

Incidentally, do you know if there are any U.2 cables that are less than 25cm? My Google-fu is coming up short.

The other end can be SlimSAS, OCuLink, MCIO, or Gen-Z 1C. Doesn’t make a difference to me.

Supermicro almost had it with their 45cm OCuLink (Right Angle) to U.2 PCIE with Power Cable (CBL-SAST-0955) . THe name is misleading because the picture shows that the power-carrying wires are 45cm. But the PCIe-carrying part of the cable looks to be short enough (less than 25cm) for my needs. The right-angle OCuLink end, however, is facing the wrong way and every single M.2-to-OCuLink adapter requires a straight connector with the beveled edge facing down towards the PCB.

1 Like

Did you have any luck with that? I’m considering upgrading the 900p in my X570 rig to a P5800X, but have been struggling to find an optimal solution for connectivity, as my 4090 prevents me from using the 2nd PCI-E slot.

That’s awesome. Sad to see optane killed off but the free market is a fickle mistress. Micron nuked the Lehi Utah fab for 3d xpoint a while back in February. Texas instruments has since bought it and started developing it.

Where or what do you think will be optanes successor

Did the video on the genz variant. Very stable

Mixed results with oculink and everything else.

Hello

I tested the latency of each M.2 and PCIe port with an Intel Optane P4801X SSD.
Latency for all M.2 and PCIe ports managed by the Chipset is 12.1µs.
Latency for all M.2 and PCIe ports managed by the CPU is 10.9µs.

It is therefore necessary to avoid cables, and if possible avoid using the Chipset ports to gain speed. Today, manufacturers are making graphics cards with 8 PCIe lines instead of 16 PCIe lines, and this is therefore interesting for CPUs that only manage 20 PCIe lines. See the new NVIDIA RTX A400 and NVIDIA RTX A1000 card.

Note: the only way to test the latency of each port on your motherboard is to use an Intel Optane SSD, because the performance does not change unlike a NAND SSD.