Guess this Animated show/Describe a Cartoon like it's an Anime

If it's what I'm thinking of (that show with Matthew Lawrence) that wasn't animated, unless it was based off an anime: the Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad.

Wait, is that the sequel I'm thinking of?

The whole anime style is the result of artists imitating the Disney comic style back then.

Hey, what happened to spoiler-free?

If you're going to reveal spoilers, then use the fucking spoiler tag. (Thankfully, I've seen Legend of Korra.) And they never flat out said in the show that Korra was a lesbian. The creators never did either. She could be bi, and the hints about her preferences were subtle.

How old does something have to be to not be a spoiler?

Like the ending of Empire or something that happens in FF7? There are people that never seen star wars because pop culture spoiled it for them, they know what happens.

I prefer the policy of assuming a person hasn't read a story/seen a movie/show, or experienced the game, and so shouldn't be spoiled, no matter the age of the material, even if it's pervasive in pop culture. And don't tell me that most people enjoy spoilers. You can't know that without asking the individual, so it's best to be cautious.

Is it actually Western or Japanese animation? At first, I was going to say Dexter's Laboratory or Jimmy Neutron but neither of their base of operations is their parents' basement.

It's Dexter's Laboratory. "Parent's basement" was kind of a tongue-in-cheek exaggeration because even though it's always a bit ambiguous as to which direction he goes to get there (it's different basically every time he goes in), the opening shows Deedee taking a route down. Also, unless it's hidden with some sort of cloak, it's pretty clear that his lab is hidden underground (unless he managed to figure out how to build a TARDIS) But yes, well done. Your turn now.

2 Likes

Mandark is a trap? That is what threw me off.

Guess this show:

A group of teenagers from the West Coast lead double lives with one side being students in high school and eventually college, and working as clandestine agents for a worldwide crime-fighting organization.

If I watched more anime, I may be able to write it off like it is one but I rather just give a vague but leading hints instead.

He starts out as one. His parents are hippies (classic 60s style) and they name him Susan and dress him up in girl's clothes and make him grow out his hair. He's not a trap now, but he definitely was at one point. Once a trap, always a trap.

1 Like

For anyone participating in this thread, here are the shows that we already used:

• Batman Beyond
  • Code Lyoko
  • Dexter's Laboratory
  • Ed, Edd n Eddy
  • Hey Arnold
  • Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
  • Megas XLR
  • My Life as a Teenage Robot
  • Rick and Morty
  • Space Dandy
  • The Legend of Korra

Do you mind putting this up on the main post, @commodore256?

1 Like

I totally forgot about that. I need to go rewatch tsome of my childhood shows.

I would have said Teen Titans but from the little I saw of them, I didn't see them going to school.

I'm reliving most of my childhood by reading "Powerpuff Girls D", which contrary to its name is actually kind of amazing. It's a total overkill crossover webcomic (?) that combines Japanese and Western art styles, it's really neat. And it turns out it's been running since like, 2004, which is awesome.

The pop culture references that comic makes, though... absolutely priceless. But I digress.

It is not Teen Titans.

I should check that out. Is it an official or fan web comic? Is it the one by Snafu Comics?

It's a fan webcomic. Definitely not canon. It has redesigns of the characters that might be weird at first but I found I liked them a lot better than the originals and imo they're just as recognizable. That's just me though. I'm a bit of a sucker for more Japanese-style character designs.

1 Like

From this webcomic page, I'm going to assume that is Grim from Billy & Mandy and Gir from Invader Zim?

2 Likes

Yes. He speaks in memes and references. And it's hilarious.

Since this webcomic span from 2004 to now, what parts of it was rough in the beginning but got ironed out later and became more polished aside from art?

Don't know, I haven't read that far into it yet. The art style definitely does get a lot more refined though, from what I can tell. The storytelling also starts out as pretty generic as they introduce the first characters, but like I said I don't know how that improves down the road. I only found out it was a thing a couple of days ago when I decided I liked the idea of shipping Dexter and Blossom, and found that someone was almost 15 years ahead of me.

Oh, I thought you were a long time reader. Report back your findings when you are done.

ANYONE ELSE READING, THE HINT IS HERE AGAIN:

Read the first sentence.

Sounds like it could be Totally Spies

sigh

That's because it is totally like Totally Spies! Like yah! Your turn @ThatBootsGuy.

2 Likes