Google confirms custom AMD GPU will power their upcoming game streaming service

Should be noted those servers were on CS 1.6. 20 year old game.

1 Like

I agree all that is needed is software and SR-IOV is one that works. I followed https://virgil3d.github.io/ as well thats still no where but the dude was playing games on the alpha client years ago.

1 Like

Agree and all I play is old games like skyrim (not networked). Because there good. In the podcast there were still 1000’s of servers and like 20k players.

1 Like

SR-IOV would be needed for VMs. For containers, using DRM lease and passing the FD to container should be enough. Both OpenGL and Vulkan HW acceleration works on DRM leases with patched xserver and modesetting driver. Only missing piece would be to manage the resources.

1 Like

There are tons of people on reddit saying that this is the end of the “Gaming PC” market. No it isn’t. People have been yelling about the death of gaming PC’s since the 90s and it hasn’t happened. 2018 was the best year ever in terms of “gaming” hardware even if it did lose market share (thanks mobile gaming) they still made more profits than ever before.

This is cool but it will never be as cool as playing a game on your custom machine at 127.0.0.1

Some people are dumb. :stuck_out_tongue:

It is basically an Amazon cloud server for normal users.
Can make sense for certain workloads, but I don’t see gaming as beeing one.

I guess my 10mbit wimax internet connection is the new ‘gt1030 ddr4’ of graphics cards… :frowning:

1 Like

Briefly, Google (and Microsoft, and Sony, and all the other players) have a window of opportunity here.

Home connections with bandwidth and latency capable of streaming videogames at full resolution and high framerates now exist and are common. The technology to actually do the streaming exists too; thanks to mobile phones, extremely fast hardware video encoders are available and cheap.

Combine the above with the fact that gaming hardware is still relatively expensive, costing hundreds of dollars, and many people across the world have a mobile phone as their sole computing device, limiting their options.

But hardware gets cheaper. 10 years ago I built a whole linux HTPC just to run Kodi (then XBMC), it was highly technical and cost over $500. It needed a discrete video card just for VDPAU! These days you can’t buy a TV without streaming apps, and they add zero dollars to the cost of the display.

Gaming will get to the same place, where the hardware is so commoditized, so inexpensive, that you get it for free inside your phone, your TV, your tablet, whatever. It will be ubiquitous. And that’s when the window of opportunity for streaming services will end.

Don’t get me wrong; just like today you can build a high-end HTPC or buy an Apple TV, Roku Premiere, or Shield TV, there will still be enthusiast hardware for those of us that are really into it. But the chip inside your TV, mobile phone, laptop, etc, will be capable of playing every recent game just fine.

2 Likes

lol. I thought you were going to talk about how Google, MS and Sony can make internet providers provide better internet plans for users.

18mb was barely enough to play Stream. I only played it once, because I couldn’t get smoothness.

Wait. Are you saying that because the hardware is becoming less expensive that people will be streaming more because hardware is inexpensive? I’m confused.

Game streaming services … LOL! In this day and age only the rich can afford that and also quite honestly don’t want it as I want to own my games which I own quite a few of.

No, once the hardware is cheap and ubiquitous, there’s no reason to stream. Streaming only makes sense when consoles cost hundreds of dollars.

slurps coffee

yes yes i see now

1 Like

I am surprised MS didn’t do this with their Xbox platform. Chief of Xbox should be fired. :stuck_out_tongue:

Boooo! Restrictive parental controls. @11:15

They are doing it.

Also pushing for digital distribution only, which of course was a major problem with the original Xbone launch.

1 Like

Looks nice on paper and sounds good from a high up dude at google on a stage but in reality ISP can’t deliver performance that gives a low latency experience. So if the experience isn’t gonna match running off a native system hooked to your monitor/TV there isn’t much point.

This is just gonna be like any other game streaming service.