Google confirms custom AMD GPU will power their upcoming game streaming service

All that glorious SR-IOV we crave. Google is now using AMD GPU’s to let gaming hit the world with the cloud :frowning:

God I with I could just SR-IOV my GPU at home.

2 Likes

I heard them say to combat input lag that the controller would have a direct connection to the host server… yeah but I mean the screen latency is still a thing and that will definitely be an issue.

I feel the phrase “the lag made me lose” will be used more often now with this ‘console’

3 Likes

I’m sure this is going to work out great with the data caps that ISP’s are imposing.

2 Likes

My AMD stock likes this

5 Likes

Now they can charge double for unlimited plans.

1 Like

Amusing thought popped into my head:

AMD: “Gamers and PC enthusiasts don’t want to buy our cards? Fine, we’ll sell them to Google and then everyone else can use them instead.”

1 Like

I can’t complain as I just got Australian NBN and its super fast compared to ADSL. But ping to US servers are still 150-190ms. Screen lag is nothing cause I am dead.

Well Im old and slow. But blaming lag is a thing.

1 Like

Also the very curious part of this equation is the player no longer needs to own the hardware and its usage will likely be far higher as many players simply rent it while in use. When they stop, another player gets to use it. I wouldn’t be surprised if the plan is 80-95% usage at all times, and that makes things very affordable overall.

Not that I’m particularly happy about this future of gaming vision, but it’s not dumb.

I get it when your in an area with 5G or 6g :). Even wired 1G networking your laptop, tablet or phone can play PC games at least 60FPS possibly 120FPS.

I just want the tech unlocked so I can play with it at home.

Missed the post :slight_smile:
Hats of to the mods for the merge. You do gods work :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

So will the controller open up an interface? A list of owned games?

I wonder what it will look like.

As long as you aren’t using more then your unlimited “Fair Share”

1 Like

Sounds like early days announcement of something meant to compete with console gaming not local/PC gaming.

HDR is not a problem because these are not desktop environments.

You’re right, majority of YouTube bandwidth are streams from local edge caches, most content is not streamed from core Google DCs. Depending on how and where amd silicon gets deployed it might be an issue.

For gaming it would make sense to put the hardware on the edge ie. into your ISPs colo, and only make you suffer the 10ms network latency of your ISP/end of mile network gear. This makes the tech way more expensive due to logistics and inability to use Google in-house server gear that Google uses in core DCs. (In house is cheaper for google, but totally incompatible in terms of server machine and rack form factor, power, and cooling, compared to off the shelf 19in air cooled rack mountables with mains voltage)

Why do people think SR-IOV is needed? You already have render nodes. Thats all you need to run multiple game sessions on the same HW. Maybe DRM leases will also be needed or something simmilar.
Its not like they will have to spin a VM for each game session.

TBH i do not feel the issue in terms of owning games and invasive DRM will get worse as some people say.

You do not own the game anyway now unless you buy them physically, or through GOG or DRM free on steam. And this does not really compete with PC gaming but mostly with consoles and there you do not own s#$%.

As for DRM yeah Stadia it the ultimate walled garden (especially since they can pretend openness by using FOSS tools but behind proprietary middleware ) that makes DRM obsolete, if DRM was actually about stopping piracy and helping sales.
Companies know that piracy has very limited effect on sales and they would not really have an incentive make games only on Stadia based on that.

DRM is there as a measure to stop competition and give legal footing in courts. Publishers will continue to publish outside streaming platforms as long as there are people playing locally and still use DRM. As long as there are people wanting to have gaming PCs devs will still make games for them.

All the licensing, and owning game issues aside, i’m so not interested just based on bandwidth.

Simple Maths tells us, that an uncompressed 1080p Stream at 60FPS, 8Bit Progressice Scan would use somewhere around 3Gb/s. So to get anywhere close to this performance, they’s have to compress the image 10:1 or more. If they are targeting 15MB/s Lines (which aren’t to uncommon, and is what shadow says is their minimum), we are talking 200:1 compression.

This isn’t so much a Problem for Film/Video. You are running 30FPS anyways, on a larger screen and are further away from the screen. Or you use a smartphone with a screen so small, that compression is barely noticeable.

But with Games, you are Probably close to the screen and focusing closely on certain parts of the image. Ever watched a 1080p twitch stream of a fast paced game? Heck, the Overwatch League Stream, which is Blizzard, they’ve got the line, looks compressed af in crowded scenes. To the point where you can’t see what the heck is going on.

So yes, this might be great for Linux Gaming. It’s giving another incentive to studios to target linux. This might be decent as a casual console replacement (think wii or switch). But i just can’t see any dedicated Gamer switching to something like that. Even if 5G was a thing and latencys where low, Bandwidth is a major issue. And that’s not even talking about 4k or HDR. Whats the point of 4K and HDR if you have to compress the living crap out of every frame to get it to your device?

2 Likes

It’s just the cool new thing that people doing gaming VMs want. Just handy for Linux running a windows VM, where gaming is usually not a huge dollar item this requires 2 GPUs so it would help with that.

Might only be a short lived thins if Linux native gaming takes off.

Twitch streams are limited to what 6000kb/s tho adding another 9000kb/s on top of that would improve visuals greatly in fast paced stuff

Games need VM’s and containers.

Lets see this weeks security now

PDF not available yet.

But counter strike servers where infecting gamers with malware :slight_smile:

Well with the promised 8k 120Hz in the future I think it will be easier to allocate resources between VM with SR-IOV.