Google confirms custom AMD GPU will power their upcoming game streaming service

Google’s upcoming game streaming service will be powered by custom AMD hardware , boosting AMD’s datacenter presence.

Shares up nearly 10% as of the confirmation.

12 Likes

It’s also built on Linux and uses Vulkan.

11 Likes

This is amazing news. Devs will have to port their games to vulkan/linux to be part of this.

AMD is incentivized to improve their drivers. Finally there is some money in improving their Linux stack.

And obviously money for AMD so they can stand up to nvidia.

4 Likes

No need for DRM… Google itself is the walled garden DRM, cause no code of the game runs locally.

Piracy solved. Those publishers who are anal about DRM may just exclusively launch a game on this service to curb piracy.

4 Likes

Now we shall finally be even closer to “year of the Linux desktop”.

3 Likes

Thx stock market

5 Likes

“How financial investment made ‘year of the Linux desktop’ possible” authored by @mutation666

2 Likes

psh @anon46267848 got more skin in the game then me

2 Likes

Um… How will Stadia do 4K HDR when Linux itself can’t even run properly with 10bit HDR?

Oh, that’s right… PROPRIETARY.

Google will never share their secret sauce to make HDR usable on Linux.

4k game streaming, over the internet, at 60FPS.
Nice joke mate.

7 Likes

Not for Google Fiber customers. (actually, no, not joking here)

It’s their own service, QoS on Google Fiber = 4K HDR 60fps.

But NOWHERE ELSE because throttling.

Now, if they were using AV1 to encode… OH BOY. AV1 means your latency might just be 1 frame a hour.

1 Like

AT&T Fiber doesn’t throttle. Or are you implying that Google with throttle people not using their services?

Google will prioritize Stadia above everything else. Other ISPs will see it as a network congester, so they might throttle this, since there are only limited datacenters with these Radeon GPUs and no peering arrangements like YouTube does for these high power datacenters.

GPU looks to be a vega 56, but I can’t imagine Google paying for all that HBM2 at scale. Maybe the custom part is rebuilding it for GDDR5X or GDDR6? That would be pretty sexy.

I wonder if they’ve asked AMD to make cards with SR-IOV specifically for them.

1 Like

I think MR-IOV would be more useful for this use-case. And yeah, probably.

Jahr Null of Google Stream.

1 Like

You didn’t watch the keynote right ?

They will use 16 GB of HBM2.

Also the custom cpu kind of reminds me of the leak of zen 2 with low clocks. which might be it.

3 Likes

I skimmed it! In that case it pretty much is a Vega 56.

Interesting choice considering nVidia just announced a “blade” server of RTX cards for this exact purpose.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/03/19/nvidias_rtx_blade_server/