Generators, Solar and Batteries

Sadly it still doesn’t stop raccoons from going under them. Here is me trying to remove 5 baby racoons…

3 Likes

I’m genuinely surprised. They don’t cook?

1 Like

Apparently not. They were up there during the hottest part of the day without any issue, all just crammed in under there

I was almost dead just standing on the roof…

1 Like

Like cockroaches… damn things.

1 Like

Thankfully, we have defenses

Looks like he needs reinforcements.

1 Like

The others just sit around, sadly.

This guy could help maybe

1 Like

@FunnyPossum, I assume by your statement it will take about nine years before you will recoup the money back. That sounds a little low. However, when I looked at Solar 8 years ago, I was looking at a 16-year return on investment. Also, in my state, we have to connect our solar system to the power grid, meaning when our solar system produces power, our meters run backward. Has solar technology improved that much in eight years?

My grandfather put his in. Wayyyy better than central HVAC for sure and wasn’t a big deal to put in.

I would guess the same. Plus part of the sun being converted to electricity and not heat (directly).

I live in Bermuda which gets a couple of hurricanes a year. One of my neighbors had a generator running in his back yard after such a storm to power his house. He was doing dishes when the lights went out, but he could still hear the genny, so he finished what he was doing figuring it was just a circuit breaker or loose plug to contend with.

When he went out to check, he found his gas powered lawnmower idling beside an empty concrete pad where his generator used to be.

6 Likes

With the way electricity costs are going, the RIO is only going to get better and better

Yeah, there has been a lot of improvements in 8 years

2 Likes

If your ceiling is properly insulated, you won’t see a measurable temperature difference in your living space. It would cool your attic, and probably help a lot for travel trailers, uninsulated garages and sheds.

Ouch. Gotta chain those generators down good. When you need them is also when other people who don’t have one, need them too.

1 Like

Or just get a generator too big to carry off!!

5 Likes

There are no generators too big to carry off. You’ll find criminals are quite clever… and forklifts are nearly silent.

1 Like

Dunno if you’ve seen this already, but another way to reduce AC costs is to run it late at night during non-peak hours, while on the grid. Then avoid nedding it during the day

If you have additional cash, replacing windows goes a long way of improving insulation. My dad replaced all bedroom windows and his patio door and reported an improvement during summer and winter (less drafty).

It’s also crazy how we don’t use ACs as a heat pumps given that the tech needed is shared between heat pumps and AC

My home is nowhere near insulated enough, and its far too hot outside to pull that off

If I turn off the AC, it takes about 20-30 mins for the temperature to rise to a miserable level

2 Likes

I am pretty sure a 4MW powerplant will be quite noticeable in case someone tries to steal it.

Actually, if you and a few neighbours got yourself one of those, nobody would need to steal one :thinking:

2 Likes

I’d pay good money to see someone attempt to get a forklift into my back yard

Where do you live that its common criminals are cruising around in forklifts?

4 Likes