Generators, Solar and Batteries

In LA, they’re all forklift certified. :joy:

5 Likes

Is a insulation upgrade in the roadmap?

Its on the never ending list of projects, I’ll get around to it one day

1 Like

Oil change day. Hit 1 year and was at around 27 hours, which is very close to the oil change required at 30 hours for the break in. From now on its 125hrs/1year

Glad I changed it, looks well used! Going to send this one and every change to Blackstone labs, hence the jar

I’ve been using this Kirkland Oil in all my cars, going well so I may as well put it in the generator

2 Likes

This is a reminder for me to add the oil into my backup genny. It hit 30 hours last year, so I was going to change the oil… I drained it, but never put anything back in. This weekend is it. Keep your fingers crossed that it still starts.

It’s a portable 8kw generator that runs on regular gas. I have to manually start it and plug things in, so adding the oil would be just one more step.

I’d for sure leave oil in it usually, you may develop some surface rust inside the engine without oil in it

If I were you, I’d fill it with oil and shut the gas off, and give it a lot of pulls to get some circulation

1 Like

Yeah, I was thinking about that just so that it wouldn’t be a dry, rusty start the first time around.

The gas is a different story- I usually siphon out any gas and then let it run until it dies. I left a little bit of gas in there for the last few months. There’s probably a lot of water in the gas now. I did have some sta-bil, but that stuff doesn’t work miracles.

At any rate… keep your fingers crossed.

sadly im on a much smaller scale but for rv/van this has been a nice resource keep the good talk going

im using a small 300 watt panel setup and a recycled car batteries giving me 12v to the inverter and off to the races

1 Like

My plan with the portable is to keep it 100% full to the brim. The more gas, the less air, and the less water vapor that could condense. Recently I added a tee and an additional shut off so I can easily drain the entire tank. Every 6 months I just rotate out the whole tank, so far so good. I throw Stabil in there too, but I question how well it works, if at all. 6 months is pretty short for gas anyway

I keep the loose tube up top, even if the shutoff is open, it shouldn’t leak because its above the tank

Ever thought about eventually subbing in some LiFePO4 batteries instead of the car batteries?

1 Like

cost is the big reason i went that route

2 Likes

Well, I added the oil to the generator and it still runs great!

I ran some new gas through it for about 30 mins to flush things out.

I also had to change the starter battery. It’s an SLA battery, but was putting out 2V!! It certainly wouldn’t start the genny, but it still ran the little hours clock just fine. I’m half temped to hotwire a 9V battery in there there for the clock and just use a portable battery booster to start the generator. It also has a pull start, so the battery isn’t fully necessary.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.