Gaming, on my Tesla, more likely than you think

So how does the k40 hold up to the 980?

3 Likes

So I got two K40 cards. Do I need to do anything else other than plug the card in, give it power, set Windows boot to UEFI (already was like it), disable CSM, enable Above 4G decoding? My card isn’t showing up in Device Manager.
Other cards show up fine in that PCI-E slot. I’m using a riser because I can’t fit the card in with what’s adjacent to it.
It’s a Pci-e x8 slot, if that matters. My PSu is 750W. Motherboard is X399 Taichi, CPU is 1920x.

1 Like

Might be the riser honestly, you can use it and any 16x slot on a threadripper system even like the bottom ones and it should be fine just try and ditch the riser

You’ll need to edit the registry as well, you want to install your video out put device driver first (gt710 or Apu) then Tesla driver then registry hacl

2 Likes

Thats all you should have to do, would be worth while booting into something like WinPE or a live linux image and check that it shows up there. Rules out windows causing the issue or the motherboard being stubborn.

@GigaBusterEXE Its hard to tell because of how badly vram starved a 4GB 980(non-ti) gets in modern titles at 1440p, plus my second 1440p monitor. Its miles better by a long shot.

2 Likes

This has been a fun project.
1100 core 3450 mem and more power limit I got roughly 100-105 average fps in pubg training mode.
Negative on the streaming still. I am going to test a config on a laptop to see if I see the same issue on laptops.

I just swapped coolers back to my Fury X and threw it back in the system. This Tesla K40 may end up being a CUDA compute card in a friends computer. Not sure yet.

Off topic - My Fury X had a tiny piece of tape on the pci-e connector and made it run in x8 mode lol

3 Likes

Arkham knight should be just under 4GB

1 Like

Everything cranked to max at 1440p:

The 980-non ti was unable to do it without hitting vram issues. Never played arkham before, perhaps I’ll give it a go now. Only hit the lows at the start of the benchmark inside the smoke.

I wonder if a titan z could be passed through to two vms…

1 Like

Yeah that’s a known thing always hitches there

Should be able to with the new drivers I think

Just happened to see one on ebay lol.

1 Like

I’ve been playing games all night while doing some modelling in 3DSMax in the background, I haven’t had a single issue all night. Thank you @GigaBusterEXE, everyone in the thread and of course level1 for putting a video up on the main channel. You saved me a whole bunch of money in a time where money isnt great & I’ve had some fun during the process.

Now back to playing Dwarf Fortress.

5 Likes

Came here to say thank you to Level1 and @GigaBusterEXE and some comments over on this thread. I have managed to get it all running and working with Tesla K40m and GTX770 combo on my B550 platform. Although I do need to figure out cooling as the card gets very hot in my cramped chassis. Managed to grab the Tesla for £80 here in UK. The games I am interested in playing with this set up look good. Great guide this was. Thanks

1 Like

You can get a small 60mm fan and screw in one hole on the back of the card which should keep the card cool at stock 745mhz but I would recommend something a bit more for overclocked I highly recommend the air extractor that goes on the back of the outside of your case, it in tandem with the “barely screwed on” fan was what I used

With nearly twice the texture units and 12GB of vram you can really crank the textures

1 Like

Thanks @GigaBusterEXE and @Akarias.

My problem is that my motherboard has two x16 and two x8 slots, all 2 slots apart…
And my main GPU is 2.5 slots wide. So I can’t fit this many cards. I also have an Asus m.2 adapter with 4 NVME SSDs in the machine, which needs a x16 slot. I think I’m biting off more than I can chew.

P.s. The K40 works fine without a riser. :man_facepalming:
Problem is I can’t fit it with all my other cards. Anyway, that’s not a problem for this thread. Thanks once again!

P.p.s. The riser is a 200mm Thermaltake one, brand new from an antistatic bag.

2 Likes

It’s great improvement over my old GPU. I have 1440p monitor and 2GB of RAM has long been inadequate to run latest titles. Hopefully this will help me out to wait out the storm that current market is

1 Like

M.2 card or other card off a riser, it may be the power requirements making it not work

3 Likes

Yeah, seems so. Will have a look. I’m trying all sorts of permutations of hardware now… My motherboard has a PCI-E connector on it, to which I’ve connected a PCI-E cable from the PSU, trying to give the PCI-E slots more power.

1 Like

Picked up 2 of these after watching the YouTube video. Have been able to get them to render games with SetGPU from GitHub but not able to make my computer recognize the tesla K40m as a power option in the graphics menu.

My setup is a asrock b450 mobo with a ryzen 3600 and an RX(amd) 580 4gb with 16gigs of ram .

i’ve enabled everything in the bios, as well as tried the AdapterType registry entry being deleted and 1-2-3-4 values.

I was hoping to get dual gpu going so i could keep my 12 core ryzen cpu and not have to downgrade to an 8 core APU which are more $ anyway.

I also tried following what @Akarias did for his 980+tesla setup. it didnt work out for me.

i’m kinda stumped i might go back to trying DDU and install drivers in different order. or i might just downgrade to the 3400g APU

1 Like

Might be a different order, I always reboot after every step, post a picture of you registry page

1 Like