Gaming, on my Tesla, more likely than you think

So… I wanted to flash the card for a little bit more voltage and alot more power w/o shunt modding. I might still shunt mod. Anyway, I dissected a 780ti bios with KeplerBiosTweaker. Tried an “optimal” flash. 1.212v, +40% on all power rails except pcie. and stable memory and core. Couldn’t get it to behave. Reflashed with only voltage and power mods. Arrived at this. PUBG lobby is open for this screen. Card is power throttling at 300someodd watts and clocking down. why am i still awake.

1 Like

Because this is the way. Lol. What sorts of temperatures are you hitting at that wattage? Fan noise etc. Wish I had the space for a Morpheus.

Meanwhile my GDB1232 12Volt blower arrived, wired it up to a fan connector to allow for motherboard control. It will use 1Amp at 3000RPM so should be perfectly fine, dont plan to run it anywhere near that speed. So far results are fantastic even without a shroud 3D printed out yet, tons of air escaping etc. Got about 8mm of clearence to the front of my case after I take into account some space for the shroud, with it I should be able to lower the speed of the fans further and still be under the default 93c limit before it starts clocking down. This runs cooler than my 980 under a furmark load even being a higher wattage card. Im on the blower fan card train now.

2 Likes

I dunno yet. I also only have 1x120mm fan going at like 800rpm. These are noctua industrial 3000rpm fans. it was climbing to 80 and power throttling on the way so I went to sleep.

Those blower fans are really good for the factory heatsink. The pressure is important when there is less area for the air to flow. The delta fan I had on the i/o was mostly sealed off and taped so it pulled air only through the card and it barely got the job done at 3200rpm. The 180mm fan shroud I made barely got any air flowing through the card even at full speed.

Reflashing to 1.112v and stock clocks now. I really just want something like 350w max power draw and 1200 on the clock. Not sure if raising the bios power limit completely unlocks the card or if there is a limit in the vrm (forcing a shunt mod)

1 Like

I couldn’t get the bios to flash on the M40, nice to see that the k40 supports modding

That said I have no idea what I’m doing, might be some quirks for maxwell tesla modding I’m not aware of

1 Like

Screenshot while in Pubg lobby. 1175core 3450 mem. Its calling for 1.137v. I set p00 volt range 925mv-1212mv. Might force this to a higher voltage. roughly 375w bios power limit. Furmark pulls that much or more then power throttles lol. I also set the clocks for L2C(1006.0), XBAR(1006.0), & SYS(1110.5) frequencies in P00 state. Not sure what performance gains these give but as far as i can tell these are conservative numbers. I cant change the bios frequencies and get them to stick without reverting to a low power state. Not sure why. for now the original method setting with afterburner then with nvidia-smi works.

Might push it further. Seems like a wall at this point as 1200 core instantly crashes at this voltage.

1 Like

Titan black OC guilds might help you since its basically the same silicon but keep in mind Tesla has high ASIC quality which means it drinks less juice per clock but doesn’t clock as high

2 Likes

Thanks. I have a hunch that I hit a clock wall at 1175. I have room to push the memory higher and will probably push the XBAR, SYS, & L2C higher. I am still not sure if these are connected to the afterburner frequency offset or if they are fixed. I imagine if they were linked to the afterburner oc it would have instantly crashed at even 1100 but I am not sure. Need to do more research on this part.

If anyone wants my bios config here are the screens.

Boost table is left alone and the slider should match the boost clock on common tab.

Third power table down is pci-e and should be left to a max of 75000 (75w)

4 Likes

Interestingly, it has positions on the PCB for different video output connectors…

If someone has some soldering skills, that would be a good test to see if it can output video, or if it’s disabled in the BIOS.

1 Like

It looks like the same board as the Quadro K6000 but in green. I’m sure thats the bios youd need to use but the card looks to be missing alot of components for the video outs.

2 Likes

Can confirm the mod works with Intel integrated graphics And physx works with the k40, at least with a 8700k

1 Like

This user was able to do it with another nvidia card so you should be able to

1 Like

Hi All,

Any pointers on what motherboard’s is confirmed as working please?

Thanks.

1 Like

The one in the video was an ab350n wifi from gigabyte, I also used a MSI z370 gaming m5 AC just now

Generally any ryzen motherboard will work as long as you have above 4g decoding feature, uefi mode only, installed windows in the gpt format (uefi mode) and have CSM disabled

I cannot speak for Intel motherboard before z370, but z77 motherboards will likely not, I tried a budget LE Asus x79 board that didn’t have above 4g decoding feature and it did not work out, a more expensive x79 board may but I tried on a z67 biostar and a z77 saber tooth and both did not work

1 Like

My setup is Asus z370-a prime. w/ 8700k
For whatever reason It was running in pci-e gen 1 in my second x16 slot (wired x8) but in the primary slot it works in gen 3.

Switching gears, unfortunately this setup does not like streaming. Capturing the game full screen in obs adds a bit of game stutter and the stream is very choppy with both nvenc and h.264. Still working on sorting this out. There must be some kind of work around since in theory this is the same setup a laptop would have if streaming.

1 Like

It could also be you are limited by the pci-e bandwidth at 8x 1.0

1 Like

Sorry to be clear it is x16 gen 3 in primary slot*

1 Like

Did you get it to work?

1 Like

Gave my 3d printer a quick spit shine after sitting idle since 2017, fired up solid works and spat this out. Printer needs some work but this will do for now, time to crank the wattage up and see what it can do. Used some masking tap to make the fit extra snug.

5 Likes

I’m quite fond of the turbo thruster coming out of the PCI-E plates

Printing another for the second Tesla, gonna give the k40 to one of my friends, likely the video editing one

2 Likes

It works great, at 30% fan speed its not louder than any other component of my machine and it hasn’t gone over 72c.

This now means there are 13 fans in my system, none of witch are redundant in anyway. 6 for my CPU and the rest for GPU cooling & airflow to my storage drives. Get a bit toasty. Toshiba X300s

Ill take a look at OBS and see if I can replicate your issue viper

Its nice to finally be able to play games like squad, maxxed out at 60fps 1440p. Wants almost 8Gb of vram jesus.

Whoops wrong screenshot

2 Likes