First Linux Weekly Stream! 5:30PM EST

image

Find it on our Level1Linux channel:

Made a new thread, so you can post your burning question to Wendell there!


Agenda

After the Live Stream We’ll do some Q&A

Level1Linux / Linux Weekly

  • I’m going to try a lighter-weight Linux Weekly format covering Linux news, interesting drivers/kernel developments, and weird hardware/software topics worth talking about before they become full videos.

  • There is now a forum category for ideas, suggestions, and comments for the show.

  • Support / housekeeping

    • I want to thank everyone supporting this work.

    • We’ve also set up sponsorship through GitHub if that’s the easiest way to support these projects.

  • Intel B60 / SR-IOV

    • One possible Linux Weekly topic is the work we’ve been doing on Intel B60, especially SR-IOV finally working on B60, as a follow-up to the B50 work.
  • New Level1Techs GitHub project: sinfo

    • The main topic for this stream is sinfo (“sensor info”), a new Linux hardware information and real-time sensor monitoring tool.

    • Better coverage of I2C devices and sensor hubs than lm_sensors

    • Board-specific labeling/templates similar in spirit to how rasdaemon handles DIMM labeling

    • Single static binary, no mandatory runtime dependencies

  • How it came together so quickly

  • Local AI, not cloud AI

    • Some people are understandably skeptical of AI, but this is all local.

    • What’s interesting to me is that this is less about “prompt engineering” and more about context engineering.

    • Tool use, multiple agents, and safer local workflows are the real story.

  • Kappa on Hugging Face

    • Turnstone is running with Kappa, also from our community:

    • I’ll also talk a bit about long context, tool calling, and why that matters for Linux admin / testing workflows.

  • Demo

    • I’ll demo this locally on Strix Halo and talk through where I think this kind of workflow is useful for Linux users.
  • GTC / giveaway

We’ll do a fairly long live Q&A at the end, so if there’s something you want covered, post it here.

Huge thanks to @eousphoros without the hard work and dedication here, we’d never have been able to do this.

And thanks viewers like you that are interested and engaged!

This would not be possible without fan engagement and support, so thank you all!

26 Likes

Regular Linux livestreams? Count me in!

10 Likes

Yeah lots of cool content could be had and I am sure

6 Likes

I just moved my daily Desktop from Win 11 back to Linux Mint after the windows 12 rumors. I’m going back to 100% Linux and would love to have some regular L1Linux content to listen to along the way! :smiley:

2 Likes

@Level1_Amber the sinfo repo isn’t public on the github :grimacing:

@wendell

1 Like

soon ™ just doing some minor cleanup and rasdaemon style templates finish up.

jazzed though?

2 Likes

Fair enough, I know how these releases go haha

Yeah, I’m psyched to get my hands on it!

2 Likes

Super excited to try out Turnstone/kappa. Especially since it’ll fit on my sad little 4070.
Let’s go linux streams! And you’ve set the bar high with the first one :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am excited to try sinfo, but I am also patient.

2 Likes

Only 5:40 through the video but I want to make it very clear how in I am on weekly Linux things.

2 Likes

I might try making a gui for sinfo, seems like a very cool project. It’s a bit scary that it talks to the i2c bus directly tho, although I guess if you want to abstract away from specific versions of the kernel, and random out of tree modules, this is unavoidable.

Topic suggestion - How new linux users can contribute/add to the community.

I’m a longtime vmware/windows sysadmin convert, scripts? Sure… but not a developer by any means. Short of encouraging people to join the year of the linux desktop, or contributing monetarily to projects.. is there anything else new folks can do to help?

Reporting issues or feature suggestions

How does Turnstone compare with say Agent Zero or Nanoclaw?

Have you read the Stripe blog post about their Minions platform? How they describe Minions is how I think agentic should work - user prompts are orchestrated to a sandboxed container and environment where the model can run whatever commands necessary to complete the task without any real risk then the user reviews the outputs in a PR. For sysadmin tasks I envision giving the container and context access to either virtualized or a specific lab hardware/environment/tenant that is always restored to known state not much different than we would give junior engineers to test their work.

Currently I’m running pi agent in docker calling to ollama over the network with dependencies and guardrails baked into the container and limited file system access with bind mounts but this doesn’t currently scale past one user and active task. Both because I don’t have it plugged into an orchestrator or input besides cli and because I only have one R9700

Very excited to get weekly linux streams.. keep up the good work!

1 Like

Haven’t looked at agent zero or the claws really. Turnstone is just a clean slate implementation ive been building to solve the issue of multi-node orchestration of intelligence. I am focusing on having controls around execution. The infrastructure as code side of ops is a subset of the problems turnstone is capable of solving. So you could have nodes/agents inside of containers that are modifying your IaC code, reviewing changes, and committing them so your normal deployment pipeline picks them up and you can have nodes/agents running directly on the baremetal troubleshooting your k8s stack, verifying deployments, etc.

EDIT: Should add there is currently a client sdk so you can easily hook it into CI/CD pipelines, alerting systems, escalation paths. I will be implementing webhook notifications so it can be tied into services like pagerduty as well.

1 Like

Very excited about the topic. I’m personally interested in creating a project management tool or tools to help schedule my tasks in Obsidian or DB. Using Turnstone could help get a more deterministic result from local LLM agents and defined tool paths for it to run.

Especially since I can run local LLMs on my gaming PC, but not on my home server. I could have a queue of tasks on the home server that wait for the gaming PC to be free and run the model.

Thanks @eousphoros and @wendell :blush:

2 Likes

high fives, you get it! we have been so worried the idea wouldn’t land. Determinism.

4 Likes