Debian 10 Buster Released

Its debian? why is that even a surprise? Software quality is rather superior in the default repos compared to almost every other distro save Fedora or CentOS

1 Like

so… newb question…

to setup node and vscode… can I use the same instructions as debian 9?

same path?

1 Like

Yeah, nothing that substantial would have changed.

1 Like

You don’t know about the yellow dots?

Maybe I need to make a new wiki thread?

1 Like

If you want I thought it was pretty common knowledge? Thats why you print stuff that wants to be tracked on the most common printer in the world that you bought second hand for cash and refilled cartridges with the serial number etched off on… while buying the refilled cartridges for cash in some rando ass place

lol that won’t actually help it.

The solution is to buy a printer that doesn’t have the dots.

Or just not fill the yellow ink

Nice to see them using the calamaris installer,
instead of the old Debian installer.

my printer wont work without yellow ink;

Haha you said it !

So question for you > Fedora is more secure than debian out of the box objectively speaking however how easy is securing and auditing Debian. Your a sys admin Id love to see what you do to secure Debian?

What are steps that you take to ensure security in say standalone boxes that you dont monitor too often?

Is there really any stability risk running backports by default?

@SgtAwesomesauce issue him official warning or i anon

1 Like

Do it, you’ll be back.

1 Like

Get a new printer.

so u issue one for wrong pronunciation of something on a text forum, but not gnome heresy?

must be a heretic yourself :thinking:

I mean, I’m using KDE and i3 at the moment.

I prefer MATE… Gnome 3 is retarded

1 Like

i too prefer mating to linux desktop environments

Well here we go again. Arch was getting stale anyways :wink: Any feedback yet on the out of the box KDE experience? Have always been running with gnome on debian but was thinking about switching it up a bit…

1 Like

Ok, jumped the gun. Since my Arch Install had a seperate home partition, i just reinstalled. Went smooth so far. I stuck to gnome as i’ve had good luck with it under debian.

Now the obligatory debian problem: I’m trying to install evolution-ews. It’s not available for Buster. Both contrib and non-free are enabled. I also tried adding bullseye-backports, but with no luck either. Any tips? The only packages i could find are in sid.
Second, i don’t like firefox-esr. The official instructions for stable firefox are to download the tarball and move it to /opt, which i did. Will firefox handle updates by itself, since apt doesn’t know it even exists…

Edit: Nevermind, i found the Release Notes concerning evolution-ews and the Corresponding CVE. Now trying to figure out how to get it in anyways. Sadly, for Exchange Server, there is no decent alternative to evolution…

Edit Edit: Was able to install evolution-ews from experimental. Certainly not recommended, but it works. A restart later, all my mails are back.

No, you will have to wget the tar and extract it to the /opt/firefox folder. I created a symlink to firefox-esr, which unlink and symlink back after an upgrade. It’s really easy to script out, just have a cron check every two weeks or whatever.

Yeah, i made a .desktop file for firefox stable. So replacing the folder should work without further changes.
Guess i’ll just keep an eye out for newer Versions every now and then. Might sit down at the weekend and make a systemd unit to automate that stuff.

1 Like