Debian 10 Buster Released

And so comes the tenth version of Debian (EDIT: actually fifteenth, but it’s called Debian 10 - They’re going pentadecimal maybe?) . Some important notes for this release:

– Updated packages. Worth noting:

• Cinnamon 3.8, GNOME 3.30, KDE Plasma 5.14, LXDE 0.99.2, LXQt 0.14, MATE 1.20, Xfce 4.12
  • Linux Kernel 4.19 LTS series
  • Glibc 2.28
  • GCC 7.4 and 8.3
  • LLVM/Clang 6.0.1 and 7.0.1 (default)
  • systemd 241
  • Python 3.7.2
  • Gimp 2.10.8
  • Firefox ESR 60.7
  • LibreOffice 6.1
  • OpenJDK 11
  • Samba 4.9
  • PHP 7.3
  • over 13370 new packages, for a total of over 57703 packages

– New things with this release:

• Secure Boot now supported using shim
  • Live ISOs ship with Calamares and Debian Installer
  • /bin, /sbin and /lib are merged into /usr
  • AppArmor installed and enabled by default
  • Optional APT hardening
  • LUKS2 added and enabled by default
  • nftables replaces iptables as the default firewall
  • Automatic Updates enabled for all updates
  • Driverless printing with CUPS 2.2.10
  • GNOME on Wayland is used by default

– Important issues:

• Legacy network interface names are not fully deprecated and should be updated
  • OpenSSL’s default minimum TLS level has been raised from TLSv1 to TLSv1.2
  • People using channel bonding/dummy interfaces should beware of systemd installing /lib/modprobe.d/systemd.conf which may cause an override in the configuration.
  • SysV init no longer supported
  • Existing PostgreSQL databases need to be reindexed
  • gnome-disk-utility fails to change LUKS password causing permanent data loss
  • evolution-ews has been dropped, and email inboxes using Exchange, Office365 or Outlook server will be removed
  • Calamares installer leaves disk encryption keys readable
    ** solvable by adding UMASK=0077 to /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/initramfs-permissions and running update-initramfs -u
  • Some deprecated packages worth mentioning:
    phpmyadmin, ipsec-tools, ssmtp, ecryptfs-utils

Take a look at release announcement and release notes for more information about changes and upgrading.

9 Likes

i just installed deb9 reee

oh well, i fukd up my nfs install anyways, might as well start from scratch.

3 Likes

Fun fact about Debian. Part of the name comes from the name Debra. She is one of the ex’es of the guy who started this project. Another part from the name Ian.(The founder) But also the story of the guy himself is kinda dark…

2 Likes

Thats a fucking joke at this point. Okay Ill be the first to say debian is rock solid stable but god damn… No linux 5 like not even just 5.1.16 and make it LTS for debian (its destined to be the next LTS kernel)… like thats just come on debian…

This is why I am on fedora but hey debians great for stability and sys admin work man… Good platform cant hate too much… good to see they finally moved on from 9 and are moving away or closer to the end of kernel 4

Kernel 5 was not a major upgrade.

Source: Linus Torvalds

4.19 is fully capable of every day computing tasks, including HEDT computing.

4 Likes

Don’t worry about that. It’ll show up in the backports repo eventually. In the meantime, if you want to run the bleeding edge kernel, take a look at liquorix.

Another notable package update is php which is now 7.3

2 Likes

I usually cite this to people that say “Dee-Bein” like they’re from some abstract European nation. It’s Deb-eeyan.

#americawasrite

With the performance increases on PHP 7.x, I much prefer that to FailvaScript now :troll:

1 Like

Debian 9 was on php 7.0, the newest nextcloud stable requires php 7.1 or higher so this update is a big deal for me

1 Like

pop… noice

Sorry to ask, but is it LTS? How far will it be supported?

every debian release is supported for 5 years.

afaik it goes like this.

full support from security team until 1 year after the release of the next version
then moves to LTS support team for the remainder of it’s life.

2 Likes

GNOME on Wayland is used by default.
Darn, I was going to try Debian on my next desktop. I guess I will have to stick to Linux Mint or Ubuntu to keep compatibility with X11.

GNOME on wayland doesnt mean the exclusion of GNOME on X11. You have the power to choose.

1 Like

Duh-buyan

Fuck tha police

3 Likes

@.moderators

Plz respond. Plz ban.

Pronunciation aside, I am upgrading my work computer rn git gud. Will post my results.

1 Like

my upgrade went fine (other than building dkms for zfs caused the server to overdraw from the UPS)

1 Like

Awww yeeah

1 Like

I didn’t know SesameStreetTug. I thought it was either Gnome on Wayland or X11. Just goes to show what a Linux noob I am. :blush:

1 Like

not being restricted to the defaults is a big reason to choose linux

Added.

2 Likes