De-Googlifying - my journey

I admit it took a lot of effort to get working (and I am sure Proton mail is way more secure) but once it was up it has been maintenance free bar updating the SSL certificate. You need a domain and a static IP of course. I am VERY lucky in that my ISP is fine with customers running servers off a domestic IP address.

It was just something I wanted to do for the sake of it and to educate myself.

Here is my guide.

It might be a tiny bit out of date but I built it on Debian 9 and that is still current so it wont be to bad.

For my web mail client I just use the app that comes inside Nextcloud. That plus my phone and Thunderbird for the desktop and you have it all.

I backup the email and its database to my FreeNAS and then an AWS S3 bucket.

3 Likes

Just an FYI if you want to get rid of the play store you can get an app called yalp on fdroid that you can replace it with. You can also use an app called /system/app/mover to move google services and other annoying/unwanted things to normal apps and then uninstall them. Some phones throw a bit of a fit when you do this but I’ve always been successful. Last, for youtube you can get skytube or newpipe if you watch on mobile at all. I like skytube a bit more for the interface but that is subjective of course. On both you can subscribe to channels and it will give you a new videos feed that is better than the one youtube gives you itself with an account, from what I hear from other people.

1 Like

I was all onboard with de-googlifying my life a few months ago. Then bought a Chromebook and that ship sailed. Good luck with the switch. I admire those who do.

3 Likes

what one?

1 Like

You gonna blog that? I’m attempting the same. Would love to see battle scars and war stories lol.

Can’t be harder than Exchange, yeah? :wink:

SCROLLING FAIL. I SEE IT. Thanks! :grin:

6 Likes

Samsung Chromebook Plus V2. Core M3 version.

2 Likes

I got Ubuntu working on the first Samsung chromebooks (but it was a pain in the ass not worth the time), looks like yours is locked down pretty tight. However you do have Linux program support now looks like.

too bad you can’t be free, condolences

3 Likes

I’m getting there. Already installed lubuntu dual boot. It’s a good machine just wish I could run linux bare metal on it.

2 Likes

Why de-Google?

3 Likes

goolagle is bad, mkay. Scroll up.

1 Like

Ah, so as always, it’s just a meme?

1 Like

You’re a meme

2 Likes

:woman_facepalming:

I got the message. I’ll leave you be.

1 Like

read the OP

5 Likes

Speaking for RedGek, I am a fan of doing my own thing. I wish I knew about cars like I know about computers.

I love infrastructure and systems administration. It’s why, after getting a Computer Science degree, I stayed on the Ops side and didn’t jump into being a code monkey.

It’s also a cool resume builder and conversation starter. My previous job interviews involved discussing my podcast, websites, and NextCloud server more than my job experience or education.

Lack of trust in the BIG CORP is another facet. Check out what Zed Shaw had to say about corporations killing open source. Relevant to the discussion:

My favorite bit:

6 Likes

For some people it will always be a meme, ease over independence.

5 Likes

I feel like that’s a relatively new development. I think it came close to the inception of App Stores?

I personally have always felt that paying for software helps the dev and helps me stick to something i enjoy instead of jumping from tool to tool. Most devs, as you said, though, don’t offer any option to pay for their work. I don’t like donating to much, as it’s basically money without purpose for me. Purchasing a “Lincense” of sorts gives the dev a idea about why they got my money…

3 Likes

My last hold on outside of my gmail account being nearly 20 years old and know by everyone I’ve dealt with is chrome a password manager. I have chrome on a few installs logged in as me and the passwords and other stuff comes with that. You know windows, linux and moblie.

I really dont trust password managers and firefox has been hacked a few times.

When chrome is hacked to the point googles pushing out users passwords. The shit has hit the fan. While these password managers charge money and promise the world. There 2 bit coders doing security until there hacked.

I may be wrong. Its just my last hurdle. I never install chrome extentions other than 2 open source ones.

2 Likes

I never looked at it this way. Interesting. I personally use Lastpass, but there certainly is an argument to be made, that google, if they actually want to, are probably more “secure” than most other password managers.
It’s just a question of how much you trust google with your passwords. Also, i’m not sure on Chrome. I like Firefox, but it’s performance is often really inconsistent on Linux. Chrome uses more resources, but tends to be more responsive for that…

I use https://masterpassword.app/ it doesn’t store your passwords, instead it regenerates themeach time. Given same parameters it will give you same password.

The app itself is java PoS. but the concept is simple and great. Don’t store your passwords, not-stored passwords can’t be leaked.

Updated the OP, maybe someone will find it useful.

3 Likes