So here I want to document my try to de-googlify myself.
So why do this? There are a couple of reasons.
- Privacy concerns. We all know Google tracks you, it doesn’t matter if they really do it for ads, I don’t like the concept.
- All your eggs in one basket. What if Google goes down, unlikely, but what if they close a service (that happened), what if they get hacked? Having most of your computing (at least in web) done via Google is simply dumb IMO.
- Not agreeing with Google’s polices. “Don’t like it, don’t use it”
How Googlifyed are you?
I started as any other and slowly added Google services to my everyday life. But lately I’ve been cutting service by service, wherever I could.
So what did you already cut?
- search - duckduckgo
- gmail - for protonmail (although I still have my boxes, they just redirect to my PM mail)
- gdrive - for nothing atm, but plan to host nextcloud
- google+ - lel, as soon as I heard I can delete it I did.
- maps - Here WeGo
- chrome - firefox
What else is there to cut?
- Android, gapps, PlayStore - main goal here is to switch to more open ROM and remove gapps. I already use F-Droid most of the time.
- Translate - it’s pretty good, eh?
- YouTube - probably the hardest one, this is most of my media consumption.
Other non-Google things
Need to cut
- Windoze - I still have Win 7 in dual boot for games
- Samsung apps and ROM
- Various small apps