De-Googlifying - my journey

You’re on their radar now @redgek

2 Likes

Disclaimer: I work at mentioned company, and these are my personal opinions.

I find the drive UI super sluggish and not really something a power user can really take advantage of. If you can get owncloud going (I host on digital ocean for now, until I get my nas up and working) I found that gives me a much better user experience.

2 Likes

goolagle bad

reeeeeee

3 Likes

This needs an update

1 Like

SOONTM

Spoiler:

bby yt

1 Like

I would argue the google has so much stuff and api’s that a large chunk of the internet is wholly dependent on it.

So even if you reduce the amount of app/services ect… you are still googled whether you like it or not.

You can greatly reduce your footprint and you should.

1 Like

The idea is to use stuff that don’t even require internet connection when possible. But yes, Google is entrenched pretty good.

3 Likes

I am waiting on the day you can not watch tv without internet connection. Life will be bad.

1 Like

stockpile books, move to woods

live the Grug life

2 Likes

This is not a double plus idea, thought crime is in progress here

Foss is love, Floss is life

Halo on PC > FLOSS

2 Likes

you have been able to play that on Linux since 2013

Proton will make the MCC work in time…comrade…why are you sweating so?

1 Like

if MCC will work on proton that’s gonna be so fucking good.

# mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/windoze_shit_drive

3 Likes

IT’S BACK!

IDK why, nothing changed, but the option is back! Did Samsung heard my constant whining and calling them shitlords?! Fucking spying fucks, but finally!

3 Likes

yes, I check it from time to time lol.

2 Likes

Thinking of trying proto mail instead of gmail, would rather make my own Pi server but that can wait.
Anyone have any experience with it?

2 Likes

I only have free tier experience, and cept the fact that I can’t use POP3/IMAP it’s basically

I have nothing to complain about

experience

2 Likes

I use Mega.nz I guess Nextcloud is better but that involves lot more investment.

For this I have no replacement. I have found few alternatives but they are all poor in comparison. I just access google translate through Tor.

2 Likes

I have de-googled myself down to

Android - To be replaced with a Librem 5 probably.
YouTube - I think I will be fine without an account. Also a lot of the people I like are on other platforms now. Patreon & Vimeo etc
Google Groups - For just one group.
Google Maps - Need to find a decent alternative.

Email - Self hosted Dovecot / Postfix
Cloud - Self hosted Nextcloud
Search - Startpage or duckduckgo
Firefox - Always been my go to browser
Signal - For messaging
Cloudflare - For DNSSEC
ISP - https://www.aa.net.uk/broadband/why-choose-aaisp/
VPN - PIA

On the non-google side with Proton / Steam Play / Vulkan hopefully I can dump my Windows 10 install. I do almost everything in Linux already. Its not a dual boot setup. I just swap the boot disks in BIOS.

I have no “smart” home speakers or automation.

4 Likes

Would love to do that too.

YouTube have RSS feeds for channels, so might switch to that.

There are different OSM clients, many proprietary, tho.

That is dope, how hard is to set up and maintain that, head a lot of bad comments about mail self-hosting.

Same.

I approve. :slight_smile:

1 Like