De-Googlifying - my journey

All of our documentation is in Markdown files or Confluence pages :joy: We only get word documents when it’s something from HR or Marketing/Sales/NonTechPeopleThatDoNotKnowAnything

3 Likes

I literally wrote my first design doc for a thing in md and gitted in in a repo, they asked me to upload it to gdrive lol

had to convert it

mfw

3 Likes

I was told there would be good news updates, were at?

1 Like

I slept for 13 hours. and am wasting the rest

1 Like

the biggest of reees

Shit, here we go again

So I installed Lineage OS 16 on my phone. No Gapps, microG instead. Tried to debloat as much as possible, without being too in the way.

BTW, the phone is Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017)

The ROM

• :-1: Battery drain is like 2x/3x compared to stock ROM
  • :-1: max volume on the speaker seems to be lower. Not that I use it much, but sometimes I put someone I talk to on the speaker while doing other shit
  • :-1: weird screen brightness scaling, seems like the last 20% controls like 80% of the brightness
  • :-1: The ROM build is third party, as there is no Android 9 official LOS build (maybe build myself later)
  • :+1: seems snappy
  • :+1: no bloat (including Samsung and Google bloat) cept what I installed, more free space
  • :+1: ease of control of the device (as in what is turned on, what is installed)

All in all, wouldn’t recommend on my device.

The Apps

And a few more propriety I had to have.

The apps generally seems to be good, or at least good enough. As most of them are open-source I don’t complain at all.

Thoughts

I’ll roll with this for some time, even though the battery life is horrendous. I’ll try and use the OsmAnd+ maps and compare them with HERE WeGo. AFAIK both use OpenStreetMap data.

Resources

Most I took from this here video:

I also still remember some shit when I had custom ROMed my Galaxy S2 (RIP sweet price)

Pics or didn’t happen

brace yourselves

apps

4 Likes

twire is another good app if you watch twitch streams

2 Likes

I don’t, but thanks.

1 Like

install termux so you can use bash, ssh etc

4 Likes

Yeah I had it even before the ROM, but I got annoyed that it installed (failsafe) app too, so I got rid of it lol.

1 Like

Is there any good driving navigation apps? Waze is the last piece of the Google puzzle I have left.

1 Like

200% pleb, don’t have a car so can’t even test OsmAnd+ for ya, sorry.

1 Like

It has walking, cycling and driving modes.

For some reason it switched to light theme on car mode. Also don’t really wanna show my location. lol :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I’m kinda stuck with Google… considering their my ISP. Concast is an absolute non-starter in my apartment. I would have to pay for a home run and that was the cause of all my ills. Nevermind the fact they are severely oversold in my area, something I tried to tell my boss when we moved into the new office which he ignored because they are great as his house… only to find out how horrendous they are. Other choice is AT&T DSL, best speed is 50meg… I guess that is down. Doesn’t give an upload speed. And is capped.

1 Like

big oof, run.

1 Like

Read the rest of my post… other providers I have are non-starters. This doesn’t even include the fact I have had 5 9’s uptime this year with 1GB in both directions.

I was just joking.

Will install it and keep Waze while I test it.

3 Likes

Sizzle aizzle that I diizzle realizizzle you were joizzle I hope you aizzle my izzle apolizzle

3 Likes

Curious to know your comfort level on always root. Any mistake and your pwn’d