De-Googlifying - my journey

twire is another good app if you watch twitch streams

2 Likes

I don’t, but thanks.

1 Like

install termux so you can use bash, ssh etc

4 Likes

Yeah I had it even before the ROM, but I got annoyed that it installed (failsafe) app too, so I got rid of it lol.

1 Like

Is there any good driving navigation apps? Waze is the last piece of the Google puzzle I have left.

1 Like

200% pleb, don’t have a car so can’t even test OsmAnd+ for ya, sorry.

1 Like

It has walking, cycling and driving modes.

For some reason it switched to light theme on car mode. Also don’t really wanna show my location. lol :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I’m kinda stuck with Google… considering their my ISP. Concast is an absolute non-starter in my apartment. I would have to pay for a home run and that was the cause of all my ills. Nevermind the fact they are severely oversold in my area, something I tried to tell my boss when we moved into the new office which he ignored because they are great as his house… only to find out how horrendous they are. Other choice is AT&T DSL, best speed is 50meg… I guess that is down. Doesn’t give an upload speed. And is capped.

1 Like

big oof, run.

1 Like

Read the rest of my post… other providers I have are non-starters. This doesn’t even include the fact I have had 5 9’s uptime this year with 1GB in both directions.

I was just joking.

Will install it and keep Waze while I test it.

3 Likes

Sizzle aizzle that I diizzle realizizzle you were joizzle I hope you aizzle my izzle apolizzle

3 Likes

Curious to know your comfort level on always root. Any mistake and your pwn’d

HEY

How the fuck you been?

1 Like

Battery life may improve over time, a fresh ROM is no good at optimizing things.

Never tried Yalp TBH, I have a cheap backup phone with the smallest Gapps package so I can download anything I need from the Play Store. The phone has its own isolated SSID on my network, never leaves my desk, doesn’t have a SIM card and is turned off whenever I don’t need it. The Google account it is connected to is also only used for that particular purpose nowadays, and from the days when Google didn’t ask for your phone number.
Maybe I should look into Yalp, do you need to log in to a Google account if you use it?

I’d suggest looking into the “Simple Mobile Tools” suite on F-droid. I use their Simple Calendar and Simple Notes apps, which work perfectly fine and have very customizable widgets.

2 Likes

nipe, that’s the point :wink:

Root is not given to everybody, there’s privilege and apps request it, i need to explicitly grant it.

1 Like

Oops, must have missed that you use the Simple apps too. My bad!

As for Protonmail being proprietary, look into Tutanota. It’s open-source, with an app in the f-Droid store. They seem to employ a similar business model as Protonmail, with free and paid tiers.
I’m probably going to move from Protonmail to Tutanota myself.

2 Likes

Very interesting, thanks! I’ll look into it.

1 Like

My progress:
Mail: protonmail, mailfence tutanota - feel free to suggest some others.
Search: Duckduckgo, Searx or so.
Cloud: I dont use cloud anymore. Well, perhaps Mega is alright, but i might use Nextcloud.
Google+ - yeah i deleted that years ago.
Maps: Havent really used maps let alone one from google. Maybe i could use openstreetmaps.
Browser: Replaced chromium with firefox long time ago. Tor browser i could use , but i havent decided when i will use it. I do use waterfox as well , and for android browsers, apps like Lightning browser, Privacy Browser, Webapps sandboxed browsers, fennec fdroid firefox.

Android- Using a custom rom based on lineageos like AICP with no Gapps installed, Fdroid. Yalp store ive used. Avoided samsung phones because of their bloated touchwiz rom and the telemtry (combined with gapps), but avoiding Gapps on a custom rom has saved me tons of battery vs having gapps enabled, and using a custom rom with a kernel was friendly on the battery too. Oneplus 3 is my current phone and i dont think i will ever upgrade. I still have old phones like a galaxy s5 since they still work on a custom rom. Open source apps really dont demand much , and very useful. the Fdroid apps replacing the proprietary apps. Mobile games are the last propreitary stuff but i dont use mobile gaming anymore, maybe emulate some games on Dolphin emulator which is open source and other emulators.

I also dont use google pay let alone play store anymore. Didnt trust NFC, stopped using bluetooth in favour of wired like for headphones.

Translate: never really used it, but what could be an alternative for google translate.
Youtube : That was a hard one but I used Newpipe, Skytube. On desktop, not using a google account anymore. It was a big last step but i did it. It feels liberating not feeding google anymore information from youtube and wasting tons of time. I still use youtube a bit , but i dont spend as much since i stop spending way too much time on comments. I can still read comments but i limit myself.
Newpipe to watch Level1Techs is totally worth it. Its actually a damn good piece of software, almost feels like im not even on Youtube but some other place to take over.

I might try PeerTube even.

Photos: i stopped using google photos, and with the photos i did have, i removed them from google photos after downloading them . that was another annoyance.

Facebook, twitter: Yeah stopped using that long ago. Though them tracking me when i dont use them was annoying, so i use Noscript, Ublock Origin. Especially helpful when i stopped using google stuff.

What i still use:
Discord - yeah believe it im using that… But a solution i decided was to use alt accounts and not use my main much. I might try some other solutions but im not sure. I was skeptical of telegram, but maybe i could use mumble or something. I cringe when people invite me to discord for their gaming and it feels like a headache. Every time i feel like im disliking discord even more.

Windows: I was on windows 7 + linux mint for a while but eventually I decided to just go full linux with Manjaro as I was tired of windows and i found i simply dont have any programs that i need windows for. And if i did, i was prepared to use a vm or wine in Linux anyways. I used windows 10 before windows 7 but i hated it because of its many issues with privacy, bloat and more. Windows 7 was temporary but the support until 2020 was close. Fortunately steam proton was kicking in, dxvk develop, wine , and distros being even more friendly than ever. I wanted to be free lol.

Well now im gaming on linux fully. On amd rx580 and ryzen 5 1600. I feel like im riding a wave of the future where Linux gaming is strong enough.

Steam: Yeah i use that for gaming . yes it has chromium but I don’t use the browser for anything more than getting games. Well i have used the social feature of it but only for games really. Like with any social thing, I can never be too careful so i use it as little as possible. Linux gaming, im using steam and Lutris. Perhaps i may try a VM but I didn’t feel like it yet. I have used GoG games as well for having DRM free where possible.

I think i can say I am very close or already google free. I dont know what to rate it.

Also i don’t use any smart TV anymore, removed that long ago. No alexa or anything like that. Replacing windows fully felt so good and not depending on google. It took me a while to do it but after a year, well I am quite happy. I wonder how much longer i can keep this up.

For dns server , i use something like OpenNIC. VPN, its protonvpn atm. The ISP tracking is probably the last thing to deal with and throttling or so. I’m in the UK as well. I already block social media trackers like facebook and google completely in hosts file but theres more i could do.

5 Likes