Crypto Mega-Thread [A.K.A Cryptocurrency mining isn't for hobbyists and Ethereum's terrible]

Real quick Question. @tkoham When (not if) is the Etherium mining Hype gonna crash and ebay/craigslist will be floded with cheap grafics cards??? I'm dreaming of buying an RX 480 8gig for considerably under 200 Bucks

I'd bet on the next 2-3 months. Or when they push out the next update that basically doubles difficulty.

and @_hill it may have all ready started, but won't know for another week or two if this full scale freefall or just a blip.

by way of @KuramaKitsune in the lounge

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/the-lounge-2017-07-july-fury2electricboogaloo-edition/117092/5995?u=zibob&source_topic_id=117232
1 Like

Hmm. What do you think will have a stronger effect? People dropping out of the market and selling their GPU or those that need effectively twice the number of GPU's and will buy whatever they can get their hands on?

Definitely betting on people dropping out. GPU prices are way too high to even think about doubling your investment for less yield.

On Poloniex it looks like all but three coins have had negative change in the past 24 hours.

That's fun.

EDIT:

2 Likes

Just keep an eye out. anyone that says they can tell you exactly when it'll happen is a fraudster or just incompetent.

I was very skeptical of all this cryptocurrency. That was until I saw dogecoin. Now this all seems legit.

6 Likes

best currency no argument 10/10 my favorite.

1 Like

not 12/10

They're good doges, brent.

1 Like

People seem really salty about mining/miners that remove graphics cards from the market, right now all the coins are tanking (Took longer than I expected) and things will return to normal,ish.

I only suggest people mine if they already got the hardware for mining, buying lots of hardware at inflated prices when the mining scene is taking off will probably get you seriously burned.
As goes with any situation don't spend money you can afford to loose.

Yeah, it's like they don't realize the used market is gonna be flooded in a few months.

Then again, there's few markets more shortsighted and uncritical than gaming.

2 Likes

Gaming/PC community, insanely shortsighted, usually have no clue about hardware yet still talk like they do, masters at tribalism with brands.

Ethereum has been decent to mine for about two years I think, it's only the last couple of months where Crypto went crazy.

1 Like

[Citation Needed]

But yeah, it's almost like "asic resistance" is centralizing because general purpose hardware subsidizes corporate datacenters. What a big suprise

PS. I don't think there will be a Vega shortage in Australia, its a gas guzzler and has been proven to be sub-par for mining. So I'd be surprised if I can't get a RX Vega near launch, unless AMD screws up and releases it at inflated retail price, in which case everyone will just jump on 1080gtx and ti

Nope, not going to because it doesnt matter now. If you believe me then fine, if not then so what. There has been even power companies farming GPU's during offpeak.

Is there a histrogram link that shows the profitability or for mining ethereum over past 2 years? Mining hashes and actually making decent money from selling it are two different things.

Have fun with that tinfoil.

I work in crypto media. There's no government mining. Show your work mate.

1 Like

Nobody has optimized anything for VEGA yet, usually miners have optimizations for each uarch generation and specific GPUs with their assemblies or whatever it's called.
We don't know if Vega will be great for mining or not, it probably wont be miners favorite choice simply due to how GPUs above 400mm^2 tend to be unattractive.

I can only really think of Hawaii that was attractive for miners back in 2013.

I'm just guessing, if it's been following the same trend since I started, besides for a miner it doesn't matter which coin is profitable or not as long as they can mine something with profitability.

Those are specialized private enterprises. Not massive corporations or governments. Please show evidence otherwise or (kindly) stop bullshitting.

People customize kernels for fiji mining, I don't see any reason they won't do the same for vega under the right circumstances.

That said it'll only be the larger players.

That depends, any miner 3rd party miner is essentially custom and I don't doubt it that someone like claymore will optimize for vega.
If FP16 could be used in mining somehow I'd imagine that Vega could to very well.