Crypto Mega-Thread [A.K.A Cryptocurrency mining isn't for hobbyists and Ethereum's terrible]

I don't much care for at the wall power but I'd bet my kidneys it's less than the equivalent btc. I'll see on my next power bill but i'm expecting about a $40/mo increase.

Bear in mind this is with cards I already bought for different reasons. I am not going to buy parts specifically for mining.

1 Like

After taking hours to download 10GB of blockchain shit and only being 1/4th the way there, I lost interest and wanted to preserve that precious SSD storage space.

Oh and I had my brother sell his 480 8GB for a nice profit. That was okay.

1 Like

No, it is for hobbyists

Wanna say why you think that or are you just going to proclaim that and expect the forum to just accept that?

:3

2 Likes

I don't understand bloclchains or graphics cards; and, therefore I'm out.

-a la Sharktank

1 Like

If you're really looking to make a profit you would have moved on to a new coin by now.

I need to hurry up and block all "Etherium" titled posts.

2 Likes

You're the exception that proves the rule.

This is the funniest post in this thread, hands down.

That's the Spirit! We need more good people like you in this community.

2 Likes

Maybe I just dabble, then?

I'm totally going to try to buy an Rx Vega with my plunder though

if you notice a bandwagon, you probably aren't on it. i was toying with the idea of investing in this, but as much of a debbie downer as @tkoham's trying to be, the idea that this shit is going to work for people who weren't already into it is just nutty. even if you're willing to pay the electric/gpu costs, good luck finding anything in stock.

i suppose the only positive advise is, if mining looks like something that interests you, wait for [current coin] fad to blow over, gpu prices will drop, and then gear up for the next fad.

3 Likes

I think I understand the pessimism from a mile-high pov, but what's wrong with jumping on a bandwagon to make some coin while it's hot? I have been planning on building a mining rig with a couple friends, and just moving to whatever coin makes the most and flipping it to btc to make a little passive cash on the side. Am I misguided somehow?

The idea is that jumping on will lose you money if you spend a bunch of money on hardware.

1 Like

another analogy is you could buy a professional mic and camera setup, and scream at games on Youtube. you'll make SOME money, and MAY even do well. the caveat is that Markiplier and Pewdepie have over 65 million people subbed to them because they got on the wagon before it even was a wagon, and thus even achieving 1m subs is considered a mark of profound success these days.

2 Likes

I see. So you're criticizing people that are dumping cash on hardware and expecting to get rich? I agree with you there. Do something that makes business sense.

3 Likes

which is, if we're honest, 98% of us. because we'd all like to think we can sit in our underpants and rake money in just by buying a few gpus and turning one of our children's rooms into a sauna. ad if this were 2014 when Ethereum was first started, you maybe could've.

like i say, if you're hard for this stuff, wait til all the hype and drama dies down, pick up cards on the cheap when all these kids realise they're small potatoes now that big boys and their warehouses of gpus in China have come in and taken over, and wait for the next wave.

I've been covering crypto for years, I'm just here to be a voice of reason. And Schadenfreude.

If I can stop one ill informed person from losing a bunch of money, then I've done my job.

I love the image that this creates.

"Mommy, I can't sleep, it's hot and the fans are too loud"

"Go back to bed."

"But mo--"

"I said GO BACK TO BED. You can catch up on sleep in the car while mommy shops at costco tomorrow"

"Why does bobby get the good room? He has a window unit and--"

"I SAID GO TO BED YOU LITTLE SHI-- I mean, Mista- wait, never mind. Just go to bed."

6 Likes

it's probably for the best that i don't have offspring for reals.

1 Like

Jist end up eating em

1 Like

Mommy I thought fans were made to make rooms cooler -