Community Giveaway: IcyDock Stuff

I would love to build a new storage system around the IcyDock SATA Backplane Cage. I have storage going back 20+ yrs, yes I am seasoned :slight_smile:

I am interested in the the three bay, 24 SSD.

I plan on upgrading my Ryzen 7 3700X to 5700 (or 7700X depending on cost/performance and 5700 sales) and use the 3700X for a low end server. I’ll have to buy a new case and some SSDs to fill them up.

The plan would be to run a virtual server and explore docker, SQL and web server on this server.

I REALLY would love the 24 bay model for my FrankenNAS build here on the forum.

One side is populated as such

But the other side is empty.
This is an ongoing project to use as my PLEX server and a Seedbox of all the things.:crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

I just would really like that one, let another winner have the other model :slight_smile:

1 Like

“Yes, I am going to build a machine around this, and I will post pictures in the forum.”

1 Like

Thanks for the giveaway and I am interested in both

I would enter, but I already use some IDY Dock products. They are nice. But at the moment I don’t really need any more :wink:

I have some pictures up of my existing build in the “Official post your PC guts thread”

Good luck to the winner!

1 Like

Would want the monster one, for a setup similar to below.

Q: I have some the icydock on an Asus WRX, 4 drives are hooked up to the chipset SATA and the other 4 to the U.2 (also comes from chipset). The RAIDExpert array works fine, but when activity occurs, only disks hooked up to the SATA header blinks, the ones hooked up to U.2 header (via U.2 to 4 x sata cable) just solid leds.

Any idea why?

3 Likes

Yes, this would be great fro my home Server plans.

I would love the 24 bay monster 2.5" adapter. I’d put it in my old PC(currently my gf’s desktop) I’m going to build her a new system soon. Will take the old Ryzen first gen and make it my Freenas PrimaryFilestore/Plex/VMhost and use my existing freenas server for offsite archiving.

I am interested in both. I am working on building out my first true homelab and an older gaming chassis would be the perfect home for either bay. Ideally, the old case would be the home for 24 bay monster. The 2 bay would be great for a pair of OS drives.

Either way, they would be helping YATS (yet another truenas server) come to life.

I could us either or both! I still rock my old Corsair Obsidian 650d which while I love the size, it’s a bit long in the tooth with IO and the plexiglass window, HOWEVER, I could easily cram that chonky beast in there with it’s 4 - 5.25 inch bays! I’d move my current NAS offsite and pair them. as you can see I already have dangling HDD’s in this rig.

Additionally, I just set my mother up with a new setup for her teaching rig and am inheriting the old one. The slim one would be put toward a proper router for the house and family.

Either would be put to good use with pics in tow. They have very interesting somewhat niche items and I’d be happy to share a build. I only have about 8 - 2.5 inchers’ at the moment to populate it, but that can be rectified.

Thank you,

I could always use them to expand my NAS because one can never have too much storage.

I’m planning to build a HEDT or Server for the following applications:

1. NAS to host backups and ISO files
  2. Lab Simulation on Hypervisor (as I study malware and hence need constant to-and-fro between snapshots of VMs)
  3. Multi GPUs solution for advanced password hashing/salting/pepper recovery for infosec purposes.

These both will be amazing accessories to support the needs of fast and large storage needed by hypervisors and I’ll be saving a lot of time and money which can be factored in for other components without compromising the quality.

Would use all of it in a new server build. Need a new server for second location to have some multi site fun

Hello,

My name is Andy and I am a big fan of your show. I am a big fan of Icy Dock too. I have a total of 3x 6-bay Icy Dock cages in my pet proxmox server, Barnicus

I remember seeing your review of the 24bay and I was super impress that an Icy-Dock came with min-SAS connectors. I have wanted to add more 6-bay cages but I think I am approaching the limits of my appetite for sata breakout cables. I think I did ok with Barnicus

With an Icy Dock MB924IP-B I can finally realise my life-long dream of adding more drives into Barnicus

Yours sincerely,
Andy, Age 41

2 Likes

Dirty youtube viewer who never made an account but always lurked for good writeups…finally roped in for a give-away!

Last year my QNAP 4 bay crapped the bed. QNAP only offers data recovery via buying an equivalent unit…no instructions on how to put the raid5 back together externally because of possible proprietary secret sauce. Instead of buying another underpowered security hole, I decided to build my own unraid…and that unraid machine could really use more drive mounts!
Using an old X79 deluxe motherboard with a Xeon E5 2690 v2 to host ALL the dockers. Eventually I’m gonna get my data off the old RAID and then reuse the drives in the unraid. Until then, having a pile of mass storage would be super helpful.
Just cram all the ddr3 I can find into there

*slaps roof* This baby can fit SO MANY 5 1/4" thingies.

Edit to add MB924IP-B 24 x 2.5 would just love to sit in those top slots there.

1 Like

Would like the MB602SPO-B 2 x 2.5" to 5.25" adapter as that’s the only one that comes even close to a usecase for, albeit a very strange one.

I have been planning a 3D printed microATX case for a while now. Similar in form factor to the Fractal Pop Mini Air shown in the video actually, except I’m putting a single 200mm fan in the top front. This leaves some space at the bottom for some drive bays (which Fractal also are making use of in that form factor) which I could use this for.

The build itself it made up of left over bits and some stuff I have been accumulating with Amazon vouchers lol (just got the Coolermaster MF200 fan last week). Not 100% sure what I want to do with it, except maybe make it into my first Linux machine and start playing around with it, or build it into a NAS or something.

Will definitely post pictures of the build anyway. My 3D printed case project is on the back burner currently but I may start on it in a month or so. Interesting to see so many people come out the woodwork for this giveaway, like some people who last posted 8 years ago! Good luck everyone!

the 24 2.5… i got no idea what i would do with it, most likely build something around it! make my NAS awwesome, make the biggest Plex library i can with my bandwith and share with my friend and family :slight_smile: my poor old Xeon e5 2670v3 would be VERY busy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Blinking so fast it’s just on.

The 24 x 2.5 bay SSD chassis would go a long way toward compacting the number of drives I’m slowly adding while removing my current collection of spinning rust.

I’m a datahoarder going mobile. I’ve bought a military transport vehicle I’ve built a box on the back of that I’m living in full-time while working and slowly fleshing out for proper sustainable, mobile living. Historically I’ve used a old backblaze chassis I picked up as a steal on eBay, but have concerns with spinning rust once I get the rig completed and start traveling. I’m working toward moving to more SSD-based storage which has been tough due to capacity and $/TB. I’d love to down-size from my current setup to a smaller form-factor and the 24x bay would go a long way toward helping to accomplish this.

Basically want to build the system you’re speaking of in the video - low powered (solar) and apocalyptic - large military vehicle with possible spotty connectivity :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the opportunity

1 Like