Community Giveaway: IcyDock Stuff

Would use all of it in a new server build. Need a new server for second location to have some multi site fun

Hello,

My name is Andy and I am a big fan of your show. I am a big fan of Icy Dock too. I have a total of 3x 6-bay Icy Dock cages in my pet proxmox server, Barnicus

I remember seeing your review of the 24bay and I was super impress that an Icy-Dock came with min-SAS connectors. I have wanted to add more 6-bay cages but I think I am approaching the limits of my appetite for sata breakout cables. I think I did ok with Barnicus

With an Icy Dock MB924IP-B I can finally realise my life-long dream of adding more drives into Barnicus

Yours sincerely,
Andy, Age 41

2 Likes

Dirty youtube viewer who never made an account but always lurked for good writeups…finally roped in for a give-away!

Last year my QNAP 4 bay crapped the bed. QNAP only offers data recovery via buying an equivalent unit…no instructions on how to put the raid5 back together externally because of possible proprietary secret sauce. Instead of buying another underpowered security hole, I decided to build my own unraid…and that unraid machine could really use more drive mounts!
Using an old X79 deluxe motherboard with a Xeon E5 2690 v2 to host ALL the dockers. Eventually I’m gonna get my data off the old RAID and then reuse the drives in the unraid. Until then, having a pile of mass storage would be super helpful.
Just cram all the ddr3 I can find into there

*slaps roof* This baby can fit SO MANY 5 1/4" thingies.

Edit to add MB924IP-B 24 x 2.5 would just love to sit in those top slots there.

1 Like

Would like the MB602SPO-B 2 x 2.5" to 5.25" adapter as that’s the only one that comes even close to a usecase for, albeit a very strange one.

I have been planning a 3D printed microATX case for a while now. Similar in form factor to the Fractal Pop Mini Air shown in the video actually, except I’m putting a single 200mm fan in the top front. This leaves some space at the bottom for some drive bays (which Fractal also are making use of in that form factor) which I could use this for.

The build itself it made up of left over bits and some stuff I have been accumulating with Amazon vouchers lol (just got the Coolermaster MF200 fan last week). Not 100% sure what I want to do with it, except maybe make it into my first Linux machine and start playing around with it, or build it into a NAS or something.

Will definitely post pictures of the build anyway. My 3D printed case project is on the back burner currently but I may start on it in a month or so. Interesting to see so many people come out the woodwork for this giveaway, like some people who last posted 8 years ago! Good luck everyone!

the 24 2.5… i got no idea what i would do with it, most likely build something around it! make my NAS awwesome, make the biggest Plex library i can with my bandwith and share with my friend and family :slight_smile: my poor old Xeon e5 2670v3 would be VERY busy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Blinking so fast it’s just on.

The 24 x 2.5 bay SSD chassis would go a long way toward compacting the number of drives I’m slowly adding while removing my current collection of spinning rust.

I’m a datahoarder going mobile. I’ve bought a military transport vehicle I’ve built a box on the back of that I’m living in full-time while working and slowly fleshing out for proper sustainable, mobile living. Historically I’ve used a old backblaze chassis I picked up as a steal on eBay, but have concerns with spinning rust once I get the rig completed and start traveling. I’m working toward moving to more SSD-based storage which has been tough due to capacity and $/TB. I’d love to down-size from my current setup to a smaller form-factor and the 24x bay would go a long way toward helping to accomplish this.

Basically want to build the system you’re speaking of in the video - low powered (solar) and apocalyptic - large military vehicle with possible spotty connectivity :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the opportunity

1 Like

I still have some computerparts lying around and wanted to make a NAS to have a central point on which I can sync stuff to and from.

A 24 bay adapter may be a bit overkill for my endeavours, but I’d still be interested in it.

On the other hand the 2x +DVD combo would fit into the small ITX desktop I currently play around with as a mini server. It’s running an Intel Pentium 3240G, which is a bit on the weak side, so I wanted to eventually upgrade it to a stronger cpu that fits the socket.

what if I collected old used laptop hdds and made multiple zfs vdevs?
I’d just have to sort them by size. It could be fun and probably fast if it’s a lot of drives :wink:

I am already looking to create my own forbidden router with an old i3 2330 and a 256gb ssd 8gb ram. I was using it for pihole and testing out docker with jellyfin but I would love an excuse to get some ssds and start the dvd binder destruction for a jellyfin server may get rid of some streaming services.
edit: Got a wd 1tb green for free and i’m adding pictures.

Hello all, I’m new to the forum so i don’t really expect to win anything. Currently trying to teach myself C++ and Python for future robotics/ ML projects. I’ll cast my ticket anyway just to see what happens. Either prize would be a surprise. My daily driver is an Asus x79, Xeon 6 core @ 2.1GHz (I know its old), Noctua cooler, 20GB RAM, Sapphire R9 290x gpu,Hp ssd boot drive & I occasionally swap out HDD’s depending on the weather! All neatly piled into an old Antec case. Second build is an incomplete Asus X99 Strix Gaming Motherboard, Xeon 4 Core @ 3.1Ghz, 16GB of RAM (will populate to 128GB) in an Asus “Storm Trooper” case.

Hey! I’m currently the person in my family who keeps all the older pictures! rn my computer is storing all my family’s photos and id like some kind of drive bay to store a couple backup of all the photos! I would love to be able to hold all my hard drives with backups more securely than in a drawer in my room! thank you very much for the giveaway and I hope everyone has a wonderful day/night when reading this!

I’m interested in both. Been playing around with TrueNAS, and either would go great in the old Antec 300 case that’s in. Although I do have an Enermax Ostrog ECA3250 from 2 builds ago that has 4 5.25" bays, and I could slap in an optical drive with the monster 24-bay. Coupled with the 5 3.5" bays, that’s a lotta storage potential.

I would definitely love to have this. I am wanting to move from actual server hardware to a more energy efficient PC with enough storage and hardware to do what my R540 does.

I would love either of them!

I am planning a bit of an ARM cluster with a TuringPi and a RockPro running CEPH and need somewhere to put all the random drives in… wife approval factor for a rats nest of cables in an IKEA shelf is … not great!

First, can anyone give the dog a bone and tell me how to find the NFKN8654F OCulink card. I can’t seem to find any source online. I’m interested in the 24x 2.5. The plan:

1. Rehusk a supermicro 5019d-4c-fn8tp I already have. (TrueNAS Scale is the target OS)
  2. Utilized custom 3d printed fan brackets (80mm fan)
  3. PlinkUSA IPC-G3370S-BK case
  4. 18 or 24 1tb SK Hynix SSDs

The only question is which way to go with storage. 3 IcyDock TouchArmor MB608SP-B (5mm to 9.5mm - most SSDs fit.) or try the crazy 24x2.5 bay enclosure (5mm to 7mm - most drives are 7mm or larger).

I’m interested in both. I have a Rosewill 4U RSV-L4000 currently doing nothing and would like to build it out with the 24 bay and shove it in my 42U tower. As for the 2 bay + ODD, it would make a great addition to my Antec 902 currently used for ripping optical media and has a capture card for old VHS tapes.

I’d love either one, any way to stuff in more drives would be awesome!

I would not use it to feed my data addiction and fix the mess of drives that I have hanging around out of the case that currently runs my home server. my wife says I don’t have a problem so good luck to those who really need this!

24 x 2.5" ssd backplane cage…

i sometimes get contracted to do system backups and deployments for the mines and warehouses in my province… would be nice to be able to clone or deploy multiple drives at once… I have a couple rigs i can drop this into…