Combo USB-C Power Delivery & DisplayPort 1.4 KVM - Dual Monitor Setup Advice

I have a PC and a Macbook M1 Pro, without using the combiner how can I share the monitor and peripherals between the two devices?

If I get a USB-C to DP Moshi cable for the Mac, then DP from the PC to the KVM directly. Would the USB C bottom still work for just USB-C so that peripheral switching works or am I SOL?

I’m in EU, and at the time of purchase, combiner was OOS

If you get our 10-gigabit DisplayPort KVM, yes. The bottom slot is designed for USB peripherals ONLY. No video.

Moshi cable is for this KMV ^

I would not advise the combo KVM, however. This KVM is video and USB, so USB-only is not a use-case they were designed for. You would need the combiner for this KVM.

I would not advise the combo KVM, however. This KVM is video and USB, so USB-only is not a use-case they were designed for. You would need the combiner for this KVM

Understood, I’m just gonna get the combiner when it’s back in stock, thanks for the help!

This was just referriing to the usbc KVM that was I was talking about or new combo dp + usbc KVM?

I don’t know what a combiner is but another option is to get Logitech MX master 3 or whatever it is mouse and MX Keys keyboard. You can then just press a button to switch between the devices on the keyboard and the mouse.

Ya, but I’m not gonna use the MX Keys cause I have a custom keeb, the mouse thing defo works

I have the same combo KVM and the same use case, but I was under the impression that I wouldn’t need a combiner? This seemed entirely designed for users with a DP capable PC, who also wanted to share desktop peripherals and monitor with a Mac over a single USB-C cable.

My plan is PC video out via DP to KVM, USB-C to USB-C cable from PC to KVM to handle USB connections, and connect the MacBook Pro to the KVM with a single data + display capable USB-C cable. Wouldn’t this work?

Hi so this is a little complex to explain over text. I actually made some diagrams to explain exactly this, hopefully, this helps? It’s the last diagram

Hi there! Could you clarify a couple points that confused me in the manual?

1. if you could explain what the USB Audio hotkey does, and how to use the KVM hotkeys in general? I have USB speakers and a USB mic (they have their own built in DAC) that I would want to share between computers, not sure what port I would ideally connect them to.
  2. is there a recommended USB hub that works with the KVM? if not that’s fine
  3. what’s the difference between the USB 2.0 ports labeled HID and the USB 3.0 port on the lower right (aside from speed)?
  4. I believe I read it does, but to confirm: the DP passthrough will support G-Sync from the PC right?

Can you clarify which hotkey?

If you’re referring to “Audio Follow Port Selection”:

Say you’re working one day. Rather than pull up music or a video on your work PC (PC 1), you do it on your personal PC (PC 2). You want to use your audio interface and headphones to listen to this (PC 2), but you also want your headphones for PC 1. The “audio follows port” will allow you to listen to both at the same time and work.

Your USB DACs should be just fine in the blue ports, shouldn’t be an issue.

Not really, most should work just fine. You may experience an error if you have a MAC where they don’t like you to have too many, but besides that just get a USB 3 hub you’re happy with.

HID USB ports are “soft cutover” and strictly follow the HID standard. A lot of gamer tech and proprietary firmware need “hard cutover” (the blue ports) to be compatible. The KVM uses shortcuts based on HID specification from the white ports. So, any keyboard in a blue port will never be compatible with shortcuts.

Yes, L1’s DP 1.4 and USBC KVMs are completely variable refresh rate compliant.

Amber you’re amazing, thank you for all the info. One more question: when confirming my signal flow setup for the KVM, to get things working with my M3 Max Mac, Wendell informed me I need to also connect a DP cable from the lower-most “DP out” port to the “DP In” port for PC 2 along the top (and connect the USB C cable from the Mac to the PC 2 USB-C port). I was hoping to use a second monitor eventually but using this extra DP cable makes that impossible.

1. what’s the reason behind needing that extra DP-out to DP-in connection? Why can’t I just connect my M3 Max laptop via a single USB-C cable to the USB-C PC 2 port and have the monitor work when I switch over?

2. if I want to eventually use two monitors, does that mean I need to step up to the 3 monitor combo KVM (since it gives me 3 DP-Out ports)?

Thanks again Amber.

Hmmmm I’m a little confused.

Can you copy and paste what he said or give a link if it was here on the forum?

There isn’t much to copy and paste, he instructed me to connect:

1)PC to PC1 DP-IN
2) PC USB-C to PC1 USB-C in
3) Monitor to DP-OUT (top row)
4) MacBook Pro USB-C to PC-2 USB-C in
5) DP cable connected from DP-OUT (bottom row) to PC2 DP-IN (top row).

Without that DP cable at the end, the Mac doesn’t see the monitor.

Also, I picked up a 2m official Apple TB4 Pro cable to connect my Mac to the KVM, and the KVM light for PC2 just flashes green and I get no video. A 1m cable works fine, so are there any known good 2m cables that would work well?

You have 1 monitor right? I think you have 2 main options:

1. Using the bottom USB-C port with a combiner for the PC

2. Using both rows with a second cable from the MAC. A Moshi USB-C → DisplayPort cable would do fine.

Wendell recommended you use the DP cable out into the other PC input because there’s a bandwidth issue otherwise.

Would I be able to use a second monitor if I upgrade to the triple monitor combo KVM? Wendell’s advice takes away one of the DP-Out ports, but with the triple monitor model I would get one more: could I connect a second monitor to that and it work?

When it comes to upgrading to the 3 monitor 2 pc to continue the DP out → in connection- I don’t think so. I asked Wendell:

if you eventually want to do dual monitors, you’ll need a second usbc to dp cable for the “fast” monitor" from the mac – so two connections to the mac – again, a bandwidth problem – and from the PC you could do USBC data and display through your motherboard (if supported). if it doesn’t you need the combiner

I know I’ve already linked them, but you can use 2 monitors with your current kvm?

If your pc pc1 has an on motherboard usbc port that does video then you dont need the combiner

Yeah no way around the combiner if you want PD, I fudged my decision purchase there. And shipping it to EU mean before tax I’m already for combiner in shipping costs too. So I’m still thinking of what to do with it

Everything just clicked with me. I get it now. The top DP-In ports tie to the top DP-Out port, and the bottom USB-C ports tie to the bottom DP-Out port. So I need two connections from each device. Excellent :slightly_smiling_face:

One more question: I’ve noticed my MacBook Pro only gets 60w for charging with both USB 4 cables I’ve tested. I’ve tested both a Cable Matters USB C (2m) rated for 100w USB PD and Club3D USB C (2m) rated for 240w USB PD (using Extended Power Range). System Report in Mac OS reads 60w (total charge 91% at the time).

Club3D cable: https://a.co/d/fNw9HlV
Cable Matters cable: https://a.co/d/bd1LUaq

You got it :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s normal. The USB-C KVM only has two modes for the USB-C PD auto switch: 5V/3A (15W) and 20V/3A(60W) mode.
Also, if the power consumption is greater than the PD charging, the battery power will be consumed, just more slowly than usual.