Cinebench R15 cpu+overclocking score

Great score for a FX8320.
But ofc you got the right Motherboard for it. ☺

As far as i can see on your screens, you used a combination of Northbridge overclocking and cpu ratio right?

This is as high as Im willing to go with the cooler I have.

This is exaly very interessting score.
If you put a stock 4790K score against this, then you see that the ipc and per core performance of intel cpu´s, has stepped up.

You also see that the i7-4790K is nearly 400MHz faster than this. It helps if the clockrates match before figuring IPC increase.

yeah tobad we dont have a sandybridge score 2600k / 2700k in the doc list.
Would be nice to compair that.

The CPU isn't stable at 4.7ghz for 12 hours under AIDA64, but at 4.6ghz it is 100% stable for 24 hours.

And before anyone mentions my graphics card, It's just a place holder until I take the plunge on a 970/980ti.

1 Like

8800 GTX is a hardcore placeholder.

looks good, which motherboard do you have?

Don't hate me, but I haven't had time to PC game since 2009'ish, so this is all I had spare. It's a power hungry card and offers next to no performance now.

Asus x99-s.

I considered the deluxe, but it was almost identical. This has 8 instead of 10 USB 3.0 ports, Single instead of Dual gigabit LAN, no wireless, no m.2 pcie adapter. I don't need any of those, so £75 cheaper made more sense to me.

In case anyone is interested in a few other things that may or may not be relevant. I'm also using..

Noctua NH-D15
Crucial 32 GB Kit (8G Bx4) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200 ) CL16
Samsung SM951 AHCI 256GB M.2-2280

No hate, all respect. I still have an 8800 GTX (among other old cards) lying around. It's actually still a good low-end card replacement. It will eat things like the GT 630, but it doesn't really hold up against the mid-range.

I got War Thunder to play on one with medium settings and 2x AA.

Also you are getting great overclocks out of the 5820k. I would bet it all that the NH-D15 is giving you enough thermal headroom to really push it. Haswell-E loves to stay below 70C at all times.

To be honest, I think I need to reapply the thermal paste. the odd cores (1,3,5) are 7c lower than the even cores (0,2,4). Having never had more than a dual core before, I assume that there is a better thermal connection on one side of my chip. Here's hoping it is my bad thermal paste application and not the actual chip to the heat-spreader surface... I'm about to find out.

FYI, the odd cores are hitting around 72 max, and the odd ones around 79. They may be a bit high.

When cores were hitting 78C on my chip, errors would appear. Keep them below 74C across the board, no errors. Identical settings in both situations.

I've since managed to regulate temps back to 71C, and am working on getting it lower.

decided to play around a bit more with timings etc and managed to up my scores a bit further...

@ 4.6ghz (12 hours stable), I've hit 1388

@ 4.7ghz (not 100% stable), I've hit 1422

I tried overclocking the first 2 cores to 4.7, while keeping the others at 4.6, but it makes no real difference and messes up a few things. Going to stick with the 4.6 on a 24/7 basis now. My temps are good, the voltage is still at 1.275.. good result. I'll be back in this thread once I get Skylake-E next year, hopefully a cheaper 8 core edition :)

Yeah that sounds good to me.
I also dont realy think that you will going to feel the real world diffrence between 4.5Ghz and 4.7GHz, those gains are realy minimal.
And for gaming those arent going to make any sense.

For video rendering maybe slightly, but i still dont think anything huge to realy get excited about.

Yep, nothing to get excited about in Premiere Pro. Video Editing is my main focus on this rig anyway, so stability is more important than a 0-3% speed increase. I'm yet to game, still using the 8800GTX until I see what AMD put out at E3 next week.

New Setup time!
Xeon 1231-v3 @3.8ghz due to setting it to max turbo on all cores in bios.
16gb's ram @ 1600mhz CL9 (4x4gb G-Skill RipJaws)
AsRock Z97 Extreme6
Gigabyte Gtx 770 4gb @ 1.3ghz
Samsung SM951 128gb Boot
Scores is 718 :D

After having to give up the X99 machine, and then spend 2 weeks on the road I've been confined to an Alienware M15x that I repaired about 2 years ago. It's not topping lists like the i7-5820K was...

Not horrible though. The GPU (although underclocked for thermals) definitely has some punch so gaming is still possible. :P

I would like to get an i7-920XM for this particular machine, as I do have the modified BIOS for overclocking. Last person who owned it said they could get 3.5GHz with the 920XM.

Time for an update, a year down the line almost. Sold my AMD stuff to a friend, still chugging along there AFAIK. Already had a X79 motherboard and a CPU, then found a 4930K in the bargain bin (yeah really) in a local store. They had a rebate scheme on top of it that day so I though, what the heck, and bought it. The motherboard is kinda terrible: Gigabyte X79-UP4 rev 1.0. If you ever think about getting this board (second hand whatever) make sure it is rev 1.1 as the first rev has some very irritating problems. The BIOS/UEFI is kinda terrible, only the latest version even work. Still has problems, but works after a fashion now.

CPU running at 4.5 GHz at about 1.35 Volts (Vdroop is kinda terrible on this board).

Well, performance is better, most notably in single core. RAM is a bit of a problem, this board can't do RAM over 2133 at all, I'm not kidding. In hindsight, I shouldn't have bothered. X99 would have been the real upgrade. But also way more expensive and I already had that MB... Shame that RAM overclocking seems such a dud on this board.

Not too shabby