Category Overhaul - Coming Soon(tm)

Not sure if it was mentioned, but are tags going to remain the same? for example

l1kvm l1store l1news level1news

Or would the get consolidated with the categories

Now that we have dedicated categories to these things, I don’t think the tags for L1 related stuff are too neccessary

1 Like

Good suggestion :slight_smile: fixed, posts will be moved there into the High-Performance Computing → Workstations & Servers category

1 Like

I’ve added:

Hardware Hub → Tech Newbie

I was debating on whether or not this would be a helpful, since it will probably encrouch onto other categories frequently, but I think it is a good addition. It’s designed to be a place where you can ask those questions that would otherwise make you feel stupid. We often get people saying “thank you for helping me get into tech”, but I do realize just figuring out where to start or asking without judgement is scary for some!

4 Likes

Probably helpful. The art of using forums is getting lost on people, so having a “catch all help me” is good.

3 Likes

Minor suggestion that really makes no difference to me one way or another, but “laptops” and “mobile” (assuming meaning phones) don’t feel like they belong together to me. If that wasn’t meant to refer to phones, maybe something thing like “mobile computing” to clarify.

1 Like

And a designated “safe space” from having new users yelled at for posting in the wrong section will go far in not scaring people off. Not that I’ve really seen that here cuz we’re all awesome, but it’s common in forums.

2 Likes

Still a good idea because it helps link new and veteran users. The new users can pick use the new category until they are onboarded

Alternatively, maybe a #new-to-me, #beginner #newbie, or #seeking-advice tag might be better as you can avoid overlaps with the larger categories.

It would be helpful for threads where people are asking for advice. recommendations, helpdesk, or help might already serve this purpose though

For example these recent threads

Maybe a “Software hub - Tech newbie” if there isn’t one. If this make sense.

With those you could derive the intermediate and advanced hubs as well!

Just a random thought from a 2 bit user!

I’d rename this to BSD, Unix & Other. There are still people running other strange things. Things like Haiku, ReactOS, OpenIndiana, and so on

As a description, I’d include keyboards, mice, wheels, flight controls. Otherwise a lot of those peripherals will end up in Other Hardware because not everyone knows what a peripheral is (it’s not the most newb friendly term, even though it’s many decades old).

Maybe printers go there, too? Or maybe Printers should be a section.

It may also be worth adding an Audio section under hardware. It would be for USB DACs, amplifiers, speakers, headphones, and that kind of thing.

@level1_amber and I have started on the reorg, please pardon our dust!

2 Likes