Category Overhaul - Coming Soon(tm)

Hello everyone!

The full post is in the Level1Techs category if you want to view it instead of a banner.

TLDR

The level1 forum will be receiving an overhaul to categories in the very near future. I know change isn’t easy for some, but we think the changes we have in mind are logical and will be very beneficial. The focus is to consolidate similar, archive dead, and add new/helpful/modern categories. We want to lean into what is popular in our own community and cut what is not. In general, these changes are designed to be additive if anything, so no posts will be lost. Anything locked isn’t being touched, and will still be there, and it will still be locked.

– skip to the tables at the bottom to miss the ramble.

The Why

Concerns and why we decided it was time for some changes:

1. Level1Store
    Currently, people post under “other hardware” or “Level1Techs” etc. because there is no dedicated place for KVM related questions. It’s only growing- thank you all! (seriously, I want to keep the job ;P). We’re making a place to ask anything store-related, RMA, product guides, and general store info.

2. High-Performance Computing
    One thing Wendell is wanting, a place we’ve labeled “High-Performance Computing” that is specifically for things like compiling, rendering, and deep / machine learning & AI. These interesting areas of technology are what Level1 wants to explore and discover as much info as possible. More categories may come in the future to this section, but this is our starting point. This, as we see it, is a prominent future of tech and will only get more advanced.

3. Consolidating
    Level1Techs, since starting has been all about technology. The existing media/art/community/hobby areas are staying of course, however, they are all being added to the “community” category. Some categories are divided into subcategories that seem a little redundant and/or they are pretty dead and don’t need to be divided.

4. Archiving Dead / Converting to Tag
    A small handful of categories are going to be archived. We chose these by just looking at how many posts were being made in a month. Some candidates include DevOps, Vintage & Legacy, and benchmarking. DevOps is dead, but the latter two are more of a tag than a category. The current items in “Benchmarking” will still be public, but rather sorted into their appropriate categories.

Comprehensive List of Changes

This will hopefully solve any “where did ____ go?” questions upon changes happening.

Category Sub-Category New Location & Notes
Level1Techs
Rules, Guidelines, FAQ -
INBOX.deb -
Bug Report -
Community Renamed, “Communities”
Events -
Tech Policy & News -
Buy/Sell/Trade -
DIY Corner -
Open Pleb: Hardware Fails -
Community Blog Removed as category, posts moved to Communities → Blogs
Hardware Renamed, “Hardware Hub”
Build a PC -
Motherboards -
CPU -
GPU -
HDD’s & SSD’s Renamed to “Storage”
PSU -
Cases / Chassis -
Cooling -
Overclocking -
Enterprise Gear Renamed and moved, High-Performance Computing → Workstations & Servers
Other Hardware -
Build Logs -
Benchmarking Archived, posts will be moved to their respective categories. Benchmarking will be encouraged as a tag.
Networking Moved, Hardware Hub → Networking
Networking Software Subcat removed, posts moved to Hardware Hub → Networking
Networking Hardware Subcat removed, posts moved to Hardware Hub → Networking
Legacy & Vintage Archived, posts moved to Hardware Hub → Other Hardware. Tag will be encouraged for distinguishing vintage hardware.
Software & Operating Systems Renamed, “Operating Systems & Open Source”
Windows -
Mac -
Open Source & Web-Based -
Linux -
BSD -
VFIO Renamed, “Virtualization”
Looking Glass -
Development Renamed, “Dev Zone”
Web Development -
Game Development -
Mobile Development Archived, posts moved to Dev Zone
Software Development Archived, posts moved to Dev Zone
Code -
DevOps Archived, posts moved to Dev Zone
Mobile Tech Renamed, subcats moved to Hardware Hub
Phones & Tablets Subcat removed, posts added to Hardware Hub → Phones & Tablets
Mobile OS Subcat removed, posts added to Hardware Hub → Phones & Tablets
Laptops & Netbooks Subcat removed, posts added to Hardware Hub → Laptops & Netbooks
Gaming Moved, Communities → Gaming
Arts & Media Removed as category, posts moved to Communities → Visual Arts & Design, subcats moved to Communities
Books, Literature & Writing Moved, Communities → Books, Literature & Writing
Food & Drink Moved, Communities → Food & Drink
Music Moved, Communities → Music
Anime, Movies, Video, and TV Moved, Communities → Anime, Movies, Video, and TV
Visual Arts & Design Moved, Communities → Visual Arts & Design
Gardening & Outdoors Moved, Communities → Gardening & Outdoors
Audio Hardware & Software Removed as category, posts & subcats moved to Communities → Audio Hardware & Music
Headphones and Headsets Subcat removed, posts added to Communities → Audio Hardware & Music
Speakers Subcat removed, posts added to Communities → Audio Hardware & Music
Sound Cards & DACs, & Other Hardware Subcat removed, posts added to Communities → Audio Hardware & Music
Vehicles & Mobility Removed as category, posts & subcats moved to Communities → Vehicles & Mobility
Cars Posts moved to Communities → Vehicles & Mobility
Motorbikes Posts moved to Communities → Vehicles & Mobility
Science, Engineering, & Tech Moved & renamed to Communities → Science, Engineering, & Security
Security Archived, posts moved to Communities → Science, Engineering, & Security
Cryptocurrencies Archived, posts moved to Communities → Science, Engineering, & Security
Robotics Archived, posts moved to Communities → Science, Engineering, & Security

Updated Categories List

Result of all changes made + new categories.

Category Subcategory Description
Communities For anything “off-topic” and non-tech related. Hobby area, community area for groups that tend to stick together. Most or all of the Community categories will probably be locked to a low tier to prevent trolls.
Blog
Buy/Sell/Trade
Books, Literature, & Handwriting
DIY Corner
Food & Drink
Audio Hardware & Music
Anime, Movies, & TV
Visual Arts & Design
Gardening & Outdoors
Science, Engineering, & Security
Vehicles
Tech News
Gaming Unofficial servers go here
Level1Techs
Rules, Guidelines, and FAQ Rules, please follow them.
INBOX.deb Q&A section for Level1, please direct any store questions to the appropriate category, rather than here.
Bug Report See anything wrong with the cite? Let us know!
Level1 Servers Officially Level1 supported (by staff/mods/the crew) game servers
Events This is where something like Devember would go, community giveaways, or convention announcements like Computex.
Operating Systems & Open Source
Linux
Open Source & Web-Based
Windows
Mac & iOS
Android
Steam
Looking Glass
Virtualization VFIO, TrueNAS, Proxmox, and more.
BSD
Dev Zone
Software Newbie Judgement-free zone, ask anything software-related no matter how simple, no bullying. If you don’t know where to post in the category, you can post here.
Web Development
Backend Development
Game Development
Code
Cloud
High-Performance Computing The bleeding edge space for high level discussion, benchmarks, and setup guides.
Workstations & Servers Show off your awesome HPC or Puget station! Use this sub to discuss commercial-grade stuff, higher-end servers and related topics.
Multiphysics & Simulation A place to post compiling time results / benchmarks, best setups, guides, result analysis, and performance questions. E.g. COMSOL, SOLIDWORKS
3D Rendering A place to post rendering time results / benchmarks, best setups, guides, result analysis, and performance questions. E.g. CAD, Revit, Unreal Engine
Deep / Machine Learning & AI A place to post results / benchmarks, best setups, guides, result analysis, and performance questions. E.g. OpenAI, Gemini
2D Rendering & Motion Graphics A place to post results / render times, best setups, guides, result analysis, and performance questions. E.g. Divinci Resolve, Adobe Creative Suite (Premiere Pro, After Effects, etc.)
Hardware Hub Anything hardware related or building a PC
Hardware Newbie Judgement-free zone, ask anything about hardware / technology no matter how simple, no bullying. If you don’t know where to post in the category, you can post here.
Networking
Build A PC
Motherboards & RAM
CPUS & Cooling
GPUs
Storage
Cases
PSUs
Laptops & Netbooks
Phones & Tablets
Peripherals
Build Logs
Overclocking
Other Hardware
Level1 Store Anything to do with store.level1techs.com
Store Announcements Store sales, new item drops, restock info
KVM Helpdesk KVM technical support questions & RMA inquiry.
Product Inquiries Any general product questions, specific info, or non-KVM support questions.
Product Guides Product-specific guides written by Level1 or anyone in the community.

This post is to give a heads-up to everyone, and give an opportunity for any feedback before the changes are here. If anything is unclear feel free to ask me :slight_smile:

The final list could end up being a little different than what is here, some category names might be slightly different, etc. but the general idea will be the same. Any deviations will be updated.

7 Likes

Typo! :heart_hands:

1 Like

I suggest changing this to either audio or audio & music as to me music implies songs only while audio covers (IMO) all types of sound.

4 Likes

SteamOS and general Steam discussion should not be lumped together with Android.

High Performance Computing is missing a category for content creation (Davinci Resolve and Adobe suite) for focused discussion on hardware specifically for high end video editing and color grading, ala Puget Systems evaluations of hardware.

Fandom communities as a community can have more focused discussion of specific fandoms. Of course it would be visible after logging in so it can’t be trolled.

2 Likes

Good idea, makes sense.

I’ll run it by Wendell and see what he thinks, that’s why I specified we might add more but had to start somewhere lol

Can you clarify or reword this?

Thanks! LOL I assumed I’d have a typo somewhere

Good idea! We can do that. Thank you for the suggestion :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hardware Hub > Enterprise Gear should also be HPC, I think.

1 Like

I’m a little busy as of today, but later this evening I will implement changes to the list

A Fandoms category for Trekkies or other non IP related fan groups for a more focused lounge like off topic chat for people that like the same thing like Star Wars, Marvel, DC, etc. (I mention non-IP related because there are general interest fandoms too. Meetups for instance.)

It doesn’t quite fit the Anime/TV category for some of them not tied to a IP.

1 Like

I’d rename “Operating Systems → VFIO” to “Operating Systems → Virtualization” and maybe even lump “Looking Glass” into that.

Although both topics have been very active for a while and may deserve their own subcats. In this case maybe an additional subcat for virtualization would cover all the TrueNAS / Proxmox topics. Or even break these out individually?

Just rambling.

3 Likes

Well this is exciting. I was wondering when the new hot topics would get their own categories

1 Like

A preview beta subforum or sub domain with the changes in read only mode, applied before the final move, would be cool. Assuming it isn’t too much of a lift like

Looks like a nice logical breakdown of the information here. Shouldnt be too difficult to navigate.

1 Like

I feel that we also need a subcategory for the Church of the Inner Monologue :sweat_smile:

Implemented! Thank you for the suggestion!

That is definitely an @wendell question

1 Like

Good thinking :slight_smile: list updated. Although I think Looking Glass should be separate, VFIO has been renamed to Virtualization

Aka a pgp category or tag

Edit
Maybe a self-promotion subcategory or tag under community for the streams or videos people make