Anyone have recommendation on best CPU for stock trading. Upgrading from 2990WX Threadripper

Asking for someone I work with he currently is running a Threadripper 2990WX and has a 8 monitor setup, running off dual 2080 supers. I have an idea of what he needs to replace the device with but trying to optimize the new build to really cater to what he uses it for and with 24/7 uptime and reliability. I was considering building something with ECC if that would be best but looking for more input if anyone has has further experience with these types of setups in that its best for real world use and not benchmarks.

1 Like

are we talking high frequency or just needing all the performance and memory so the computer is not the bottle neck?

Id be in the market to purchase a used 2990wx if you end up upgrading from it.

Need the computer to not be the bottleneck anymore as the 2990wx is having a hard time at this point with its current workload, even after replacing bad ram and failing SSD was originally a ibuypower prebuild.

Its for a business so would just get reused for something else once its out of the daily driver use and I can actually trouble shoot it more and make sure its not issues with the cpu it self.

1 Like

AM5 system (probably more stable than newer Threadripper, but wont have the same core counts)

For a work/pro level system honestly get a prebuilt from an SI. If you take a look at the number of challenges DIY Threadripper has you have to want to tinker and enjoy playing with things to consider it.

4 Likes

What kind of load does the CPU get while doing the trading? Is it single threaded? Multi threaded? Is more cores better?

edit: I will echo the advice from above, if getting a threadripper system, get one from a system integrator.

1 Like

its all single thread performance for the current workload with some content being produced on system and live streaming of screens but nothing heavy other then Realtime data.

This really reads like I just need reliable professional workstation, money is no issue.

If 24/7 is MUST not just NICE criterion, then go for official oem or well known integrator. Like puget systems in US.

Target HETC workstation market and up, xeon w or threadripper. You dont even need to go gigher end xeon-w or threadripper pro to gain most relevant benetfits.

Server grade hardware would be even better for stability, but you will trade off single threaded performance and markup will be steep.

I would weigh decision to intel platform here, if clients software is certified it will be on that.

Like this:

or from traditional OEM
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/workstations/thinkstation-p-series/thinkstation-p5-workstation/len102s0011
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/workstations/thinkstation-p-series/thinkstation-p8-workstation/len102s0017

Pretty sure dell and Hp have something similar to offer.

1 Like

Unfortunately Puget & falcon NW only recommend Intel I9 and I7 for 14th gen for these type systems from my research since its all about single core performance.

Yeah but is consumer platform worth the 15% difference? I would trade that for native ECC support alone.

Modern high performing ST kings and stability/reliability do not go well together at all. 14900KS says hello :slight_smile: .

Did the coworker specify what is actually limiting him and how? 2990WX is not top of the line, but it isnt that bad either.

It might be just software limitation or something else.

EDIT:

Wow 2990WX is actually getting old and those old zen 2 cores were not that special.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/5031vs3309vs5719vs5846vs5957/AMD-Ryzen-9-7950X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-2990WX-vs-Intel-i7-14700K-vs-Intel-Xeon-E-2488-vs-Intel-i9-14900KS

Run of the mill 8-core Xeon-E2488 (i.e cheap workstation) offers almost double ST and nearly equivalent MT perf.
7950x is similarly double ST and double MT at 16 physical cores. But no ECC :frowning:

Yup, replacement will be worth it.

That xeon E mentioned above is the best ST performing single threaded workstation grade part, so I would start from there.

It might be worthwhile to test whteher your target workload benefits from expanded L3 cache, i.e 7800X3D cpu or high end epycs with x3d.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/3309vs4959vs5219vs5811/AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-2990WX-vs-AMD-EPYC-7573X-vs-AMD-EPYC-9374F-vs-AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-7970X

The 2990wx is just sluggish even after a upgrade to a 990 Pro 2TB and 64Gb ram upgrade replaced old teamgroup ram and ssd since it was 5+ year old prebuild seems like the system is just showing age and needs further maintenance since the liquid cooler is also at that point were its near end of life due to age. This system just can never blue screen during a trade but that issues has been resolved. I want to do a full ECC build even gpus and optane p5800x for a all out speed and stability build for a 5-6 year system to replace this one.

I am absolutely positive they will sell whatever you want to you.

Yea but when you ask for some stuff they at least in my case just wanted to sell a I9 photoshop build with dual GPUs.

Then don’t ask, just buy.