Can we get a modernized version of windows XP already?!

I don’t know who you are and I don’t care… who you remind me of is my business, not yours. You react very similarly, which brings to mind what is a human thing… No one is saying you’re someone, just that you resemble someone in style.

I don’t see any mention of learning here…

What is the purpose of this thread? You’re asking about XP, ok, the answer is NO. We can’t have.
Your learning is limited to f*** this, screw that, I don’t care about the law…

You need a Windows that does not spy, it is enough to disable access to the Internet. There are also other methods of limiting the scale of this “surveillance”.
As an alternative you have linux, *bsd or apple products.

No one is going to make you a relatively updated version of XP, even if they had all the source code and documentation. It would be absolutely illegal and the copyright holder would destroy anyone behind it. But you don’t care about legal matters…

So chill out don’t be passive aggressive. :+1:

1 Like

This is one hell of a thread.

3 Likes

hey I didn’t ask people to be ugh people.

It could be more “productive” than it has been.

The only practical advice if you’re rightfully concerned about new Windows being crapware is to switch to Linux and retain an older Windows machine that’s disconnected from the Internet, for the hopefully small number of things that you can’t get running on Linux. I don’t think there’s really any other feasible solution, that’s just the reality of the passage of time and change.

Personally I mostly just left the old stuff behind, and I don’t miss it too much. If I really did, I’d build a disconnected system with an old OS, or try a Windows VM.

But often there’s a newer similar remake or a clone of a game, you can find an emulator, or try WINE (or better yet, Steam Proton which is amazing). No it’s not a perfect solution, but you can’t even reliably run everything on Windows anymore either.

And gaming on Linux is only getting better - I’ve been shocked recently how reliable Steam + Proton has been. It’s almost hard to find a game that doesn’t work out of the box or with very minor tinkering (i.e. select a different version of Proton in the Steam UI).

It’s not like the old days of Linux gaming anymore.

2 Likes

I have seen that Proton is pretty robust, yes. However, TBH, it’s mostly that I haven’t done any command line/ dos style commands in literally years, and since Linux is basically a hybrid GUI/ command line OS, I readily get confused by simple operations within Linux. I get frustrated basically. Also, this may be a silly question, but I have a game install drive on a second M.2 drive, can I install a linux OS on it WITHOUT formatting it? (I’d rather not, but I will if I have to, I’d like a dual boot system.)

Spoken like someone that hasn’t used a modern Linux desktop in years.

These days, I have little to no need for command line maintenance in Ubuntu 22.04. The only thing I need the command line for, system wise, is to enable stuff like PPAs - something I do once every 6 months if at that. I usually wait six months to a year to buy new hardware, at which point Ubuntu has caught up with support, yes even the LTS versions.

To get to a specific option I just press the Super button (the one with the Windows logo) and search. Want to enable bluetooth headphones? Super, type blue, settings are right there. Linux even supports some advanced mouse options out of box, though it still struggles with secondary features such as RGB.

Latest Ubuntu is really nice from a user perspective, though I hear Pop! and Mint are even better for the cli-phobics :slight_smile:

You’d enjoy anything with the KDE desktop environment like Kubuntu or Manjaro! They’re probably your best bet for fresh off windows users with lots of icons and nifty tools like KDE connect. Pop OS is also really easy to use. I actually had to go out of my way to use the CLI, so much that I missed it.

The only solution is to install any version of whatever OS you want,
and just not connect it to any network.
That is the only way to prevent any form of telemetry leaving the building.
So yeah what is the actual point of this topic if i may ask?

2 Likes

oof harsh, bro harsh.

Na nothing really harsh about it.

If a computer isn´t connected to any network.
Then it cannot really send out any telemetry.

It is a legitimate question. :woman_shrugging:

oh, well by telemetry I mean the sort of weaponized version windows 10 and 11 do, not data collection on crashes, and stability reports.

In regards to Windows i think that is going to be very difficult.
Maybe if you run it in a vm without network connection.

atlas o.s. ?

you could try a stripping tool like this.
best done on a fresh install. you can then tear out most of the crapware.

that’s why I’m thinking about XP. it seems to me, just as a regular user, that this era, which is one of my favorites, is the most ‘modern’ in terms of features I use, and in stability, and seems to give the least amount of info out. (though if you or another person can specify WHAT exactly it does give out info wise, Id appreciate it.) Also, the OS being completely exposed online, means it can be back engineered, while a hard task, it’s not now impossible.

Yeah, about that…

People keep threatening to move to Linux. Stop threatening. Do it, or bend over. Clock is ticking… :slight_smile:

yeah I refuse to do either. THAT’S the point. I want windows, but I want my windows I actually enjoyed using.

Doesn’t windows 7 work still? I’m pretty sure you can set it to get security updates until end of 2024. Or just run windows xp until you get caught with your pants down many countries still do.

1 Like

Hey man, I hear you - but Microsoft says it doesn’t give a shit about what you think. So, either do Linux or succumb to 11. Tick tock, only 872 days left. You can be a stubborn old bastard or quit computing, but it won’t change the fact. ReactOS might help, Linux is probably the best mainstream option, both may or may not be what you want.

Yeah, except this is what Steam says when you start it on Windows 7:

If you are fine with it, go ahead, but Jan 10 2024, Windows 7 is put to rest for good. At least as far as Microsoft and all companies supporting it are concerned.

2 Likes

Hah, I didn’t know about that. RIP o7

OP, if you really want a windows with no telemetry you can create your own stripped down ISO using NTlite with its free license and a clean ISO from Microsoft. I made one following this guide and ran some further debloating with this script after the install.
And then made the start menu be on the bottom left corner and opens the “old” start menu style… etc.
I made it for my little brother’s gaming rig, it felt like a modern XP/Win7 in terms of use and he’s still happy with it.

2 Likes

now this is a great suggestion!

1 Like