Can we get a modernized version of windows XP already?!

no, not at all. I hated windows 7. Remembering my cryptology, can you computerize OTPs?

or go to space. Write the code outside the atmosphere.

You mean operate above the cloud computing?

1 Like

LMAO yes! Actually that’s pretty much the entire reason for this post, is guerilla computing. All of us in nerd land, are besieged by an entrenched incumbent “government” of sorts, that tracks and spies and lies, well it’s time we all stood up against that. Taking the last OS that didn’t have all the telemetry, but otherwise was pretty functional and stable, and making it come forward without losing, and in fact, adding additional safeguards, is the entire point. What REALLY annoys me about modern computers, and people involved in them, is the pervasive idea of “we can’t do that” rather than the ideas of the 1980s which to my mind was an explosion of innovation, and sure, there were flops, but we also got things like the C64. And while things have progressed since then, It’s that attitude I most want to capture.

Short answer, no, you cannot. Not even with access to the source code.

Sorry to break your bubble, but by using Windows you lock yourself in to Windows. If you do not like Windows policies, switch OS or learn to take it like a good boi. Those are the options available to you. That is also why a ton of us jumped ship to Linux. I suppose Apple exists, but they have even stricter policies than Windows.

No one can fix XP for you, but Microsoft. And Microsoft has no plans on reviving an OS that went EOL fifteen years ago.

You might have more luck with ReactOS, though I doubt it. Sticking with ancient unsupported software just isn’t a viable long term option, and you being stubborn about this will not change this. These are just the hard and cold facts. You don’t like it, pitch in to ReactOS, perhaps they can help. :slight_smile:

1 Like

you did read my previous post, yes? Please rethink your mindset before posting. Instead of thinking “we can’t” start trying to think how we CAN.

What would it take, you mean? About the same kind of manpower as to put a man on the moon.

To get it up to speed with Windows 11, you’d need to, among other things:

• Ensure a new scheduler that supports multi-core and many-core architectures (remember, XP was largely single threaded)
  • Remake the entire boot process to support UEFI
  • Develop Nvidia drivers that supports XP from scratch (good luck with that)
  • Reverse engineer Linux drivers from AMD and Intel
  • Remake the crappy sound architecture
  • Ensure support for PCIe 5.0, WiFi 6E, USB 3.2, IPv6, and about 50 other modern standards in use today
  • … And a whole heap more.
  • … All under the hope that Microsoft doesn’t sue your team or company to oblivion.

It’s even more of a fools errand than making something like Another Metroid 2 Remake. At least there, it’s abandonware and Nintendo largely doesn’t care about it, unless it might damage their IP. This XP reboot would directly compete with Microsoft and if it shows any success what so ever it will be shut down, hard. Just hosting the project on a git server is grounds for suing.

If people are actually interested, go right ahead. Chances of this catching enough traction to get successful and then flying under Microsofts radar long enough to create a useful product is so low, you might as well walk around in a lightning storm wearing a conductive lightning rod - that’s probably better odds of surviving than this project. :slight_smile:

That said, doing something based on FreeBSD, ReactOS and/or Linux are three projects that have much better chances of succeeding.

Can you make those last three OSs 100% compatible with windows programs? Or at least 98%?

No. If you want that be a good little boi and say yes to Windows 11, that will give you 95% compatibility of all old WIndows games.

If you do not want to do that then 100% compatibility is out the window no matter what you do. Then the question becomes, how much compatibility do you need?

For me, that answer is pretty much 0%.

To anyone who wants a version of Windows that you still “own,” I’d reccomend running Windows Server.

It omits the appx nonsense, advertising, telemetry, internet accounts, etc. And the best part? Although the advertised licensing cost for a 56-64 core system is upwards of $20,000 for the Datacenter edition, Microsoft hands out licenses for free :laughing:

It’s worth noting that there is plenty of legacy software that works better under Wine than Windows these days. Old versions of the 3D software Blender are a great example.

@Matt_Parker What programming languages do you use to code?

1 Like

Microsoft make a lot of money supporting old and ancient versions of Windows, for customers for whom it’s cheaper than redeveloping some software. They may object to competitors for this.

1 Like

HAHAHAHAHA You think I code. HAHAHAHAHAH!

I don’t care, we can Manhattan project this for all I care, I own my house, if I make everyone stay here, and use non networked PCs then how can they find out?

Closest modern XP, was squandered by M$ themselves [XP-64]

7n5hsk

3 Likes

You mean you can’t write code? So how do you want to create something here, expecting someone else to do everything for you?

You remind me of one user called Aremis, you have similar styles of speech. A lot of expectations and not a lot of own contribution. :wink:

first of all, I’m not this person, don’t know this person, don’t like being compared to a person I don’t know. Second, I fully acknowledge I don’t have coding skills. What I DO have is the desire to learn, that’s why I’m here on this forum. If you would like to get off your high horse for a moment, and be constructive rather than DEstructive, by all means.

I don’t get the appeal. The best thing that system had going is that it was not 9x. Maybe it’s the nostalgia googles idk. You should be able to mod some Windows install to look like XP but why stop there and not Windows 2000?

1 Like

oh it’s nostalgia goggles HARD, my friend. But that aside, I genuinely like the fisher price look of XP.