Built My First Custom Keyboard :)

wooo

After much research and deliberation, I decided to make my first custom keyboard! I was super excited to put it together. I wanted to dip my toes in, so I bought fairly budget (but good) options.

Case / Kit

For the price, this is pretty much everything you’d want for a basic layout. You don’t have to add or change anything, it’s ready to go minus switches and caps. The keyboard body is solid CNC’d aluminum, it’s very sturdy and hefty. Gives a good premium feeling and helps dampen sounds more.

The Amazon listing was out of the black option, so I bought the lightest color and just spray painted the aluminum in a matte black.

The kit came with a bunch of foam to dampen the sound coming from it. Seemed to work well. You can check out all the layers here, it’s pretty well put together. I even learned about layer thickness in how it effects keyboard sounds. I had no clue people were so in-depth with keyboards, it seems like such a simple topic lol NOPE

Switches

I was trying to go for deep and satisfying keys, buuuut idk I’m still new at this lol The Akko V3 Piano Pro switches I used are a little more high pitched and clacky naturally it seems. I might upgrade switches eventually in the future, but tbh I like the piano pros! Very poppy and satisfying to type on.

Keycaps

The keycaps I used are dye-sublimated PBT, and, idk what that means, but the video I watched said it’s a good material for satisfying keyboard sounds lol. They are rounded and cute, they also have some Japanese-inspired elements I really like. It came with quite a few cute keycaps, but I decided to use an origami bird macro, ramen bowl windows key, fish kite shift key, and a sushi second windows key. The font is also rounded to match the vibe.

Tape Mod

I also did a keyboard mod with electrical tape. If you don’t know what the tape mod is, you literally just put tape on the back of the keyboard PCB and tada you have much poppier sounds. I used electrical tape because I am not about to catch something on fire with painter’s tape lol

Parts List

Audio Sample

I can’t just tell ya’ll about this keyboard and not give you an audio sample right??

I captured the sample with my Rode PodMic. This is a dynamic mic for speaking into, not sure if something like this would have any effect on the sound? Probably not? I know most keyboard YouTubers would use a condenser mic for something like this instead to get the best sound quality. They are the optimal choice for music and sounds with their cardioid sound pattern. Anyway! I digress.

Thoughts? Would you use this keyboard? :stuck_out_tongue:

14 Likes

Good sounding KB. I was thinking of getting that kit if my keychron RMA never arrived.

I wish that wireless budget boards got qmk. Pretty happy with my K2 pro I use for work (I wouldn’t recommend for bad customer support + my buddy complained that the Bluetooth latency was really bad). If I were to upgrade, I’d probably want something with optical switches (like the magnet ones from wooting).

Also kinda crazy how some custom builds can get in the range of $100-500. I felt I overpayed when I spent over $100 for my board, switches and keycaps. I guess if you space out your upgrades like your pc/office setup, it won’t feel as heavy on your wallet

3 Likes

So true. One of the downsides for this kit for sure.

Niice. I’ve heard those from a review, they’re super cool.

Seriously. I wanted to get something cheaper because jeez. The Epomaker kit I found felt like it was the best for the price. Anything cheaper was just meh. Switches can get expensive too, but tbh Akko does a good job at bringing value to the table.

That suuucks. They’re so popular too, you think they’d be better at that for a brand so popular.

2 Likes

Yeah with the boards it’s really a chose 2 from 3:

• wireless
  • qmk
  • cheap

Yeah my bro got one and he likes being able to set separate the actuation points for his movement keys

Yeah especially if you want prelubbed switches. I went for the Gateron G Pro yellows because I wanted to try something different from my browns.

Yeah my guess was that the people who buy custom keys don’t need a lot of post sales support as they are more likely to take it apart and fix it them selves

Also link in the mech keyboard thread I posted my build and rma status before

1 Like

Nice, looks good, not the right sound for me, but its got some nice tones in the sound profile.

$100 is about right for a wireless/qmk/not crap keyboard so you did well!

1 Like

I just built my keyboard not too long ago and you have already made me want to build another haha. This sounds amazing though! I could suggest this kit for anyone looking for a decent board with some Wisteria switches!

CIDOO ABM066 Barebones Kit, Alice-layout VIA-programmable Hot Swappable Bluetooth/2.4Ghz/Type-C Connectivities, with TFT-LCD Screen, Rotary Knob, 3000mAh Battery, NKRO, RGB Backlight for Win/Mac(Black https://a.co/d/e2XnATy

2 Likes

Oooh very nice kit! Very affordable too! Thanks for the link :slight_smile: love the ergo look tbh it’s so unique. Also thank you I tried xD

1 Like

Thank youu. Sounds signature is alll preference so I totally get that xD what do you prefer? More tactile or clicky?

I am a wired kind of man for keyboards and mice

Well done on the diy keyboard. Looks clean,sleek and modern. Maybe a small limited edition collection to sell a few lol

1 Like

Me too, actually. This keyboard is wired only. Since it’s a custom keyboard the USBC cable detaches lol but there is no bluetooth in this model. Also thank you :smiley:

Sound profile is indeed preference, I like less ping at the front of my key press than what I hear in your profile. That said the thock as it bottoms out is fantastic on yours.

I went ahead and did a crappy cell phone recording of 3 custom boards, and one prebuilt board all with different switches, profiles, form factors, and key caps. The only thing you wont hear is any ABS keys because I cant abide ABS key caps.

My highly modified Keychron K4v2, with custom franken switches made from Kailh Silent Box Browns and Kailh Box Royals. Keychron PBT LSA key caps with poured silicon fill.

Stock Keychron K17 Pro with low profile Gateron Blues, stock Keychron LSA PBT key caps. As this is my travel board I dont care about how loud it is, and it scratches the clicky itch for me.

Mechwild Ergo Boy Orange with Outemu Purples and PBT DSA keycaps. This is a custom build with millmax sockets but no other mods.

Mechwild Mercutio with Outemu Silent White and PBT DSA keycaps. Again custom build with millmax sockets, only other mods are custom QMK firmware.

2 Likes

53o904ldw3qa1

1 Like

Time for level one keyboards to be sold… limited edition

Let me know if you ever do

2 Likes

I was going to call out that electrical tape as it probably has a different sound profile than what painter’s tape has but that vid/sound profile sounds great!

Amazon is coming up if they have stuff like that on there now these days.

I’m always going to put a plug in for tactiles- tactile gang rise up.

3 Likes

Haha, I’ll lyk

It really does. Almost great enough to make me consider chucking my bargain bin GK61 for something nicer…

1 Like

needs like 4 type a ports and 2 type C’s hubs on it, head phone and mic jacks as well

1 Like

integrated KVM?

2 Likes

MX browns :laughing: they really are terrible

1 Like

Ooooh very clicky! What % is that low profile keyboard?