Mechanical Keyboard Corner

1981 IBM 5281/5282/5285/5286 Data Station Typewriter Keyboard!

• 528X-83 type IBM Model B keyboard
  • 83-key Italian layout
  • IBM beam spring clicky capacitive key-switches
  • SAN double-shot keycaps
  • Made by IBM Italy
  • Shipped with data station terminals for the IBM 5280 Distributed Data System from 1980
  • Some people in the vintage keyboard community call this the “Beamfoot” as it resembles the later and more common IBM 5291/5292 “Bigfoot” Model F buckling spring keyboard but in Model B form

7 Likes

I finished up this blog post on some new Mechanical keyboards I’ve been using, like a Model M, the SliceMK (Ergodox variation), and RK84:

It’s an update to this thread from a few years back where I go over every mechanical keyboard I’ve ever owned (and yes, I have pictures)

Big highlight of the recent thread is the SliceMK (pictured)

2 Likes

2 Likes

I have been using my Filco Majestouch 1 since 2009. I bought it on a trip to Osaka. It was used in one of my ‘terrible’ daily jobs for more than half a decade in its early years. Wear & tear developed on quite a lot of key caps. It wasn’t well maintained either. So the steel sheet had developed very small patches of rust.

These days seem not many people talk about Filco. I think it’s iconic! I took better care of it in recent years. It’s as good as new in terms of its core functionality. In my dream, I hope to revamp it and be as good as new by

• replacing all keycaps to be 3rd-party PBT; the double-shot keycaps from Filco for Majestouch 3 seem nice too
  • replacing the KB controller. I saw two versions of Majestouch 1 PCB so far. One with the controller on the same main PCB. Another one seems more common with a little daughter board below the area of the FILCO logo. I don’t know which one mine is.
  • repainting the steel sheet. Lower priority since I think I need to de-solder all switches to detach the sheet (?)
  • replacing the Cherry brown switches to support backlight. It’s not necessary but if I have to de-solder all switches, then probably just do it at the same time. This might necessitate the replacement of a new PCB.

I saw your project of the replacement PCB. Very nice work. Don’t know when I’ll do my dream. If I can quickly complete the first two items, I’ll be happy. If one day completes all items, it’ll be terrific. My motivation to start this project is low as the keyboard still works very well even after 14 years of heavy duty. The wear & tear on keycaps are somewhat unique and special on its own.

1 Like

the next build

K2 Pro with xvx pbt south facing keycaps.

Xvx had a prime day sale, so I got them cheap
Decided to try Gateron G Pro Yellow (for all letter keys) and Blue switches (for all other keys). I liked it the most from the gateron gpro switch tester I got

I got the K2 pro because I figured if was going to replace the switch and keycaps, I may as well get the barebones pro rather than the K2. Most keyboard reviews attributed the better sound to the foam they added.

I missed the function row from my 65%, but wanted something more compact than a tkl. It was pretty difficult to find a keyboard that matched my requirements

1. Qmk/via firmware
  2. 84 key
  3. Bluetooth/wireless
  4. Hotswap
  5. Rgb (because if I’m spending $90+ it better light up)

The royal kludge rk84 limited was a strong contender, but after looking into the qmk firmware flash list, I decided to go all in on keychron.

I wasn’t a huge fan of south facing rgb switches because it was a pain to install/remove the switches (fortunately I bought extra when I bent the pins) also finding shine through switches/pudding keycaps was very difficult. My ideal would have been pbt shine through top, but I could only find abs versions with mixed reviews on the quality and brightness.

While doing research, I was annoyed by elitists who denounced rgb and tried to convince new buyers to live without rgb (instead suggesting people to learn to touch type) on a enthusiast grade keyboard. I can understand where they are coming from, as I don’t run rgb on my pc because it doesn’t add any utility when I game and result in more expensive case fans that perform about the same or worse than noctua fans. On keyboards though, lighting great when you are typing in an environment with low lights

2 Likes

XVX keycaps look very nice in those pictures. I have a hard time figuring out if they are CG rendering or photographs (with Photoshop touch). I added XVX to my watchlist.

IMO, one of the main advantages of Ten Key Less and smaller keyboards is right-handed mouse users. Without the extra keypad (and cursor key column), the mouse fits in very nicely to the right of the keyboard. Much more ergonomic to operate.

For this reason, more than twenty years ago when 104 full-size keyboards were the norm…I decided to place the mouse to the left of my keyboard and trained my left hand for the mouse. Never turned back ever since. But completely unnecessary today if I had to start again.

RGB is a very subjective topic. I find multiple colours, breathing lights a huge distraction. It seems like yelling for my attention.

Single and steady color shining through the top of keycaps could be helpful. It acts as a visual clue on the rare events I need to look for a key. That tiny bit of visual clue gives an excellent user experience on those rare occasions in a darker environment.

It seems hard to find a keyboard with backlight shining through only the top of keycaps, without leaking much light to the sides.

1 Like

The Logitech MX series does this. Very comfortable to type on, both the mechanical and membrane variants.

2 Likes

I really like bezel-less designs. Way easier to clean; although I think I’d prefer standard keycaps … but these kinda have a neat floaty look.

It’s interesting that your compact board has a num pad … and yet you still got another full numpad :sweat_smile:

Oh yeah I’ve seen some with number row on the left

Especially in a dark room

Yeah my ideal keycaps are pudding keycaps. Where the top is black and letters+sides transparent

I like having the options for a light if I’m in the office or paying $80+ for a premium keyboard

1 Like

for the time where I need to do data entry, but use my mouse at the same time!

Honestly I dont need the 2nd pad, I got it for a project, ended up not needing it but I like the look and the knob is a nice to have even if I dont love the encoder that Keychron uses.

It gets most of its use as a macro pad, and when I am working on system designs where I have to enter lots of numbers but since its not excel I cant just tab/arrow key around and I have to manually click.

I have thought about just getting a 96% southpaw for that reason. Plus it would be nice to have the extra space by my mouse.

The floating caps are just my current jam, this keyboard has had 5 different sets at different times. This is just the most recent and is just for fun.

-looks at my two completed keyboards and installed keycaps-

“Yeah I’m good, I’m done. I’m out the game, these will suffice”

Stumbles on MV Terminal keycaps that have binary of letters on IG

6 Likes

I might start using software that requires use of lots of F keys. As a 65%'er I could make another layout in VIA that simply changes the number row to F keys, but I’m also looking at something like this:

Any recommendations on something like this or alternatives?

It’s it shipping…I have been waiting and really want this set!

1 Like

Recently I picked up some Tangerine switches from TheKeyCompany, and I’m probably looking at a Keycron V1 for a barebones because it has an analogue knob and it’s a 75%.

Now all I need is keycaps, not looking for anything really fancy but I’ll probably need a set with smaller right hand mod keys. Any comfy sets out there that aren’t crazy expensive or “drops”?

Managed to snag a set on Thursday when it dropped! Hopefully it will be here next week.

1 Like

Jelly. Im trying to abstain from keeb stuff for a while but these would go on the tofu so good…

Okay, I have a question to submit to The Keyboards-Warrior:

Mechanical keyboards have been one category I’ve always missed out on. I’ve had, at best, maybe good taste in reasonable membranes. (It’s a money problem.) My total experience has been as follows:
-Messing with a Razer demo unit at Walmart.

I am a pretty swift typistationer, but I’m also endowed with carpal tunnel so normally pretty focused on things not having high activation pressure. With that in mind, having no established context…what do I even look for? Specific switch types, etc?

Cherry mx reds are linear and have extremely high actuating points. Typically marketed for gamers because they can be rapidly tapped much easier than other switches. I could throw lingo at you all day but in reality, you’ll be better off testing Reds in person to see if that’s for you.

2 Likes

Yum!

8 Likes