BSD Challenge

Decided to take a short-cut but Trident wasn’t doing it for me, GhostBSD now installed. Plan is to configure Compiz-Fusion to get rid of screen tearing and then do something to auto-mount USB drives.

9 Likes

You should update the table in the OP :wink:

3 Likes

@wendell @SgtAwesomesauce @cekim we need some fresh blood for the pool :wink:

2 Likes

I’ll have time in 2020… :frowning: wish that weren’t a reasonable prediction…

2 Likes

Hey that’s only a few months away! :blush:

1 Like

AHHH Don’t even tease… lol

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure my toaster runs on NetBSD.

3 Likes

:sunglasses: Have you repurposed it, yet?

3 Likes

I’m contemplating making up a custom spin of GhostBSD using Cinnamon, and then taking the challenge.

It’s in their build scripts, but they haven’t released a version based on it yet.

I was initially afraid that I’d be stuck on Linux because of my Trezor, but it looks like GhostBSD has better support than Linux at this point. I’m cautiously optimistic.

Also gotta bake in amdgpu support. Vesa’s not going to cut it.

Might be a weekend project.

3 Likes

I LOVE YOUR FEROCIOUS DETERMINATION. It pushes me forward.

4 Likes

Either fierce determination, or the classic engineering problem of forgetting to double your estimates.

3 Likes

4x-8x if you have heavy process management above you…

1 Like

BSD Screen weirds me the hell out!

GhostBSD in VM… I have to re-run dhcpcd eveytime I grab a shell. It’s like it disconnects when the screensaver kicks in.

Great security feature, really annoying as a user.

Screen has nice bottom bars, like Byobu, but doesn’t persist across those screensaver-like logouts.

sudo trueos-update upgrade

keeps failing…

failing how

I am bailing from the challenge, I don’t have enough time atm. If I do anything related to m y thread, I’ll still update it tho,

4 Likes

Thinking of doing a NetBSD challenge on the Odroid-C2. Definitely gonna happen, not sure when

3 Likes

there’s evidence of me running bsd back to like 2016 on here, can i get the badge pls

guess to remain ahead of the curve im gonna have to install an illumos distro

3 Likes

that is a beautiful desktop

I see BSDNow ep301 titled GPU Passthrough… Anyone tried? any good for games?
If it was, I would definitely give it a go…

1 Like

If you want to game on Linux. I think it was just regular pci passthrough to a Linux VM and manual xorg configuration to fire up the GPU.