BSD Challenge

With all the talk of headstarts with your router, Why are none of you mentioning a playstation? I’m sure some of you have bin gaming on freeBSD for years.

1 Like

So, is anyone running BSD with an AMD GPU?

I haven’t run it on bare metal in … a decade. Does 3d work? :smiley:

ixsystems are selling FreeNAS boxes on ryzen, so i asume it works.

I was referring to GPU… i.e., Radeon 3d support.

I have FreeNAS on an old AMD box already :smiley:

my bad, you even wrote GPU lol

How’s everyone’s challenge going?

Just got my old laptop from my parents place. Will try to revive it and put FreeBSD on it.

2 Likes

Nice. Beware if you have Broadcom for Wifi. Good luck, have fun, will deny all knowledge of your existence if/when you reach out for support :grin:

1 Like

:zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

On hold atm. Will start playing with FreeBSD in VM sooner or later.

1 Like

OK. Laptop’s dead. Anything but command line crashes the machine.
I suppose the Radeon graphics is toast.

Had windows 7 on it, crashes on desktop.
Put ubuntu minimal, crashes on gnome display manager.
Wont bother with BSD on this machine.

been running FreeBSD in my edge network for DNS and mail relay since… 2003.

Would there be any practical use for BSD on my Lenovo T420, or should I just keep using it to run TAILS?

Practical use case: test things, contribute

The BSD hype kinda gets me interested as well.
I’m pretty curious about trying this out, to figure out the differences,
between BSD and Linux, and what the actual benefits and negatives are,
between the two systems.

I forgot to come on this post when I finished my 1 year challenge with pfSense (not that I used it that much, outside VPN home and RDP on my desktop).

Does my Netgate ID even matter? I won’t buy support for this anyway. I always censored it, but I forgot before I uploaded the picture, so… whatever. I had to reboot it in order to finally update the system, the update wouldn’t work from the web interface (nothing a SSH connection couldn’t do). After a restart, I updated from the console, then restarted again, looked through the settings and finally enabled AES-NI encryption and here’s a screenshot done right now:

Well here’s something interesting.

OpenBSD has been my favorite OS because of its superior documentation and simplicity for some time now. But I haven’t had the chance to really try it because of its somewhat lacking hardware (read graphics) support compared to Linux. But guess what. THEY HAVE AMDGPU NOW!!! Though it’s in -current. So naturally, I went ahead and downloaded a -current snapshot and booted. Turns out amdgpu is disabled in the default kernel conf. After reading FAQ, I compiled my own kernel with amdgpu enabled and BOOM! R9 Fury working right here :star_struck:

Just to be sure, I’m compiling X11 from current as well. Hopefully it will get me a newer Mesa, otherwise I would have to compile that too.

Next stop, GNOME3 and Mesa testing.

7 Likes

Another challenge. Apparently the automatic partitioning doesn’t allocate enough free space to /usr and /usr/src so one will eventually run out of space in the middle of compiling. So I just have to tar-backup /usr/src and /usr/obj and reinstall the system with better partition sizes.

3 Likes

That’s pretty impressive. Good job. Welcome to the challenge thread!

OpenBSD has a pretty cool (and weird lol) community.

1 Like

In general BSD is

• a lot more lightweight
  • a lot more driven by shell scripts, makefiles, etc. more “the unix way”
  • easier to administer with a text editor
  • splits the OS into “base” and “packages” you can easily run the latest version whatever package without having to run bleeding edge core OS.
3 Likes