BSD Challenge

Lmao we need our own sitcom, “The Gek and the AdminDev: The Big Hack”

We so in sync :heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation:

3 Likes

Quite tempted to join in with this challenge, and make an effort to do things more properly than when I accidentally switched my laptop to bsd a few months ago. since i will have to change my servers around in a few months, would a complete immersion, but server-only instance of this be reasonable?

2 Likes

Given the kernel is mach, a lot of people seem to be confused. macOS has a lot of BSD command line tools in it, but the kernel isn’t BSD at all.

2 Likes

it’s only the userland right?

1 Like

Says every shitty hacker ever :wink:

BTW mama never taught me tcsh

chris@demon:~ % export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/go/bin
Bad : modifier in $ '/'.
chris@demon:~ % export PATH=$PATH:"usr/local/go/bin "
Bad : modifier in $ '"'.
chris@demon:~ % export PATH=$PATH:"/usr/local/go/bin"
Bad : modifier in $ '"'.
chris@demon:~ % export PATH=$PATH:\"/usr/local/go/bin\"
Bad : modifier in $ '\'.
chris@demon:~ % setenv PATH "${PATH}:/usr/local/go/bin"
chris@demon:~ % go version
go version go1.12.4 freebsd/amd64
chris@demon:~ %

5 Likes

Yeah and even there, Apple have written a lot of their own tools. And there’s still some GNU in there too. But apple haven’t updated any of the GNU stuff since GPL3 came out, hence the push for clang, and the ancient version of bash…

GPL3 is definitely considered hostile.

2 Likes

Install a better shell from ports :wink:

3 Likes

:joy: Will look into getting bash or zsh on there.

1 Like

I think imma try and use fish. While ksh is 100% adequate, I wanna autocompelte like in my zsh on loincucs

1 Like

i get by with tcsh on bsd boxes (it does do autocomplete), and use plain old sh for scripting (just like the bad old days on slowlaris :smiley: ). i don’t bother installing any shells myself, but yeah, bash and zsh are both in ports.

2 Likes

Yeah but you’re already mad swagger pullin ladies and we’re still trying to figure out how to talk to girls :wink:

2 Likes

I try not to make my scripts depend on bash too.

3 Likes

hm… i wonder if powershell is ported yet :smiley:

3 Likes

BIG REE

3 Likes

downloading freebsd 12 to check haha

edit:
changed ISP recently and not sure where my closest mirror is any more. half hour left on the download, oh the humanity

2 Likes

install from sources if not?

2 Likes

Will give it a go if it isn’t. Though i suspect that it is full of linuxisms

2 Likes

Updated the participants list with my thread. Decided to roll with the GhostBSD. For now. :ghost:

4 Likes

Go for it! As far as I know BSD is server OS. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

#BSDDevOps

https://wiki.jenkins.io/plugins/servlet/mobile?contentId=37323376#content/view/37323376

3 Likes