Apple ARM Discussion

So not derail this. But what if amd started making arm chips to compete with m1? Arm not x86. It would appear risc is the future.

3 Likes

Nvidia will make arm chips, if their purchase goes through

2 Likes

I just hope amd and intel can come up with something that is radically different than what current x86 offers. I donโ€™t want them to fall behind apple.

1 Like

Apple have the benefit of 10 years of ARM chip design at this point. Theyโ€™ve ventured quite far out beyond the ARM IP theyโ€™re using.

Theyโ€™ve been riding on the X1 for the last 5 years, with a few slight tweaks, and a process shrink for the newer Switch, so it would be interesting to see what they can come up with. Theyโ€™ll probably mainly be venturing into self-driving car stuff with it though.

1 Like

I mean competition is good, AMD doesnt really seem to be slowing. 20% IPC no node shrink is huge

3 Likes

I guess with apple on 5nm and amd on 7nm, they are not as far behind in ipc as i thought they could be.

geekbench single core.

Wouldnโ€™t necessarily trust Geekbench scores across platforms

5 Likes

1 workload does not make an winner

It is just one workload. I just am trying to look at ipc.

I am too much of a AMD fanboy. But the macbook air looks enticing.

1 Like

on geekbench a synthetic that i would put money apple optimizes for

As it should if you care about battery life and only regular tasks

2 Likes

I am looking for a new macbook. My pro from 2011 needs a new battery and new thermal paste. But software is out of date now. The 2020 air looks good for my use case. Traveling long distances as well as media consumption. Mainly media consumption and 18 hours of that to boot. I could put popos on my macbook interms of out of date software. But I still have to do the work to replace the battery and the thermal paste.

Iโ€™m waiting on reviews to decide whether the extra money is worth it for the Pro. Gonna be using it with the Adobe stuff, once that comes out, and maybe some 3D work, so would like something with decent sustained performance for rendering.

Iโ€™m far too trusting with Apple. I flat out refuse to buy any device from another manufacturer without replaceable memory and storage, but nothing myself or my friends have got from them has ever gone wrong in that regard.

1 Like
1 Like

Laughs at your alienware from work

2 Likes

Does Dr. Cutress have a video on the matter yet:?

Update: No. There is no video yet.

yeah not yet

Did anyone find any information regarding the EUFI(or whatever they use for bootloader) ? Is it locked like on an Ipad?

The spec results will show the exact same thing.

Optimizing for geekbench is almost synonymous with increasing IPC.

The difference in price between the fully unlocked chip on the air and the pro is not that big, although that gives the air a 512gb SSD.

My educated guess is yes.